Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene, just take some time and sample some of it, there could be some great stuff you're missing otherwise. I do that as I have time, but I don't spend a lot of time digging too deeply; if a few songs (within say 30 sec.) don't hit me, then I just move on- time is the enemy!

For me, it's sort of like going to a restaurant. I know what I like. I waste little time trying a bunch of goofy stuff I've never had. I guess I'm just stubborn in my ways. :cry:

For me, it's sort of like going to a restaurant. I know what I like. I waste little time trying a bunch of goofy stuff I've never had. I guess I'm just stubborn in my ways. :cry:
The problem with many of us here is that what we like is what we grew up with 20, 30, 40 years ago, and the degree of difficulty to go back, find the original multis, etc. to create a new Atmos mix is 100X harder than creating a new Atmos mix for new music that is already recorded digitally and ready to go on the fly. So us old-timers will have to be satisfied with the little morsels that get thrown our way from time to time. (Hence all the excitement over getting newly-unearthed quads from the likes of Rhino and D-V). It's all good though, I am glad Atmos is fully taking hold for new music that I will never listen to because it means surround music is alive and well.

The problem with many of us here is that what we like is what we grew up with 20, 30, 40 years ago, and the degree of difficulty to go back, find the original multis, etc. to create a new Atmos mix is 100X harder than creating a new Atmos mix for new music that is already recorded digitally and ready to go on the fly. So us old-timers will have to be satisfied with the little morsels that get thrown our way from time to time. (Hence all the excitement over getting newly-unearthed quads from the likes of Rhino and D-V). It's all good though, I am glad Atmos is fully taking hold for new music that I will never listen to because it means surround music is alive and well.
Yep, that's exactly how I feel. You nailed it.

Beating a dead horse again...but jeeeeezzz. I haven't heard of 99% of stuff everyone posts. I just cannot get into this....I want music I know and love. In ATMOS!
There was a time when everything you know and love was stuff you hadn’t heard. 😉

I don’t sample everything posted here, and I don’t like everything I sample. But I’ve discovered some really good stuff I never would have otherwise if not for the Atmos mixes.

Also, there’s no doubt they track how many streams this stuff gets. The more we listen, the more likely they will continue with the format. Including new mixes of stuff we love.

Exactly. When someone is already mixing a new album into stereo, it’s probably not much more than making a few adjustments to take a digital stereo mix to Atmos. A new mix of an old album is no doubt much more time consuming and expensive.

There was a time when everything you know and love was stuff you hadn’t heard. 😉
You are exactly correct. Back during the metal days (1979-1980's) I couldn't wait to go to the local viny store and grab every damn record that was new. And, in general, I loved them all. But, notice it was a specific genre. I guess that's where I must really be different. I'm really stuck on specific genres, and everything else just sucks as far as I'm concerned.

OK, a little exaggeration there. lol

You are exactly correct. Back during the metal days (1979-1980's) I couldn't wait to go to the local viny store and grab every damn record that was new. And, in general, I loved them all. But, notice it was a specific genre. I guess that's where I must really be different. I'm really stuck on specific genres, and everything else just sucks as far as I'm concerned.

OK, a little exaggeration there. lol
I think it’s an age thing. TBH. We all love the genres and music of our youth. Because we are living it. It’s the soundtrack of our lives. Most everything else after we reach a certain age is much more of an acquired taste. And mostly just background music rather than connected to specific events and milestones they way music was for us in our teens and twenties.

And even the new stuff I really enjoy I rarely, if ever, LOVE like I do the old stuff. There just isn’t that deep connection.

Last edited:
Jimmy Page spent a considerable amount of time remastering all the Led Zeppelin records for three deluxe edition releases years ago.

Wondering if and when he would turn his attention to Atmos re-mixes and repurpose the content for the surround audience.

Jimmy Page spent a considerable amount of time remastering all the Led Zeppelin records for three deluxe edition releases years ago.

Wondering if and when he would turn his attention to Atmos re-mixes and repurpose the content for the surround audience.
He did some really nice work putting out DVDs of restored film/ video of concerts from 1970, 1972 and I think 1978 that featured hi res stereo and DTS and Dolby surround mixes. Resulted in very much a “ you are there” experience of the concerts from the comfort of your couch! I’m going to pull them out and enjoy again tonight! I think it would be cool to hear the studio albums in ATMOS. I’d wonder if he still has the ambition to take on projects like this considering he’s getting up there in age?

He did some really nice work putting out DVDs of restored film/ video of concerts from 1970, 1972 and I think 1978 that featured hi res stereo and DTS and Dolby surround mixes. Resulted in very much a “ you are there” experience of the concerts from the comfort of your couch! I’m going to pull them out and enjoy again tonight! I think it would be cool to hear the studio albums in ATMOS. I’d wonder if he still has the ambition to take on projects like this considering he’s getting up there in age?
That was the Led Zeppelin DVD, audio produced by Kevin Shirley. I was asked to send him two Empirical Labs Fatso (Full Analog Tape Simulator/Optimizer) signal processors. They are two channel units that can be linked together via RTS patch cables. He already owned one, so by losing him two more be'd have six Chanels of tape solution for the 5.1 surround mix.

I agreed to loan them to him in exchange for a photo with him and Jimmy alongside the effects rack, and a quote to use for PR.
The DVD came out (sounded amazing!) and I call Kevin and say - 'hey, where's the photo and the quote?' He tells me they got so wrapped up in the mix they forgot :(

I say "okay, send them back to me please" and he says 'can I keep them a little longer? I'm doing a Journey project and I'd like to use them on that'. Being a Journey fan, I agreed he could keep them a little longer.

That was 20 years ago. I sent several letters, called a few times... still have not received them back!

True story.

That was the Led Zeppelin DVD, audio produced by Kevin Shirley. I was asked to send him two Empirical Labs Fatso (Full Analog Tape Simulator/Optimizer) signal processors. They are two channel units that can be linked together via RTS patch cables. He already owned one, so by losing him two more be'd have six Chanels of tape solution for the 5.1 surround mix.

I agreed to loan them to him in exchange for a photo with him and Jimmy alongside the effects rack, and a quote to use for PR.
The DVD came out (sounded amazing!) and I call Kevin and say - 'hey, where's the photo and the quote?' He tells me they got so wrapped up in the mix they forgot :(

I say "okay, send them back to me please" and he says 'can I keep them a little longer? I'm doing a Journey project and I'd like to use them on that'. Being a Journey fan, I agreed he could keep them a little longer.

That was 20 years ago. I sent several letters, called a few times... still have not received them back!

True story.
Wow, that’s what you get for being a nice guy. At least they weren’t something like vintage Fairchilds! So, they digitized the original 8/16/trak tapes, mixed in the box and then used the Fatsos to get back a little tape fatness? I always thought those DVDs sounded fantastic. I read back then that Page was very hands on with Shirley on the project? I wonder if he did a little overdubbing to cover up clams here and there?

Back