Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I had no plans to listen to this when I parked myself in the listening position. (But i’m glad I did).

I started with the last track with Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion (and compared to what I was listening to prior {shall remain nameless for now as I was falling to sleep} was like a caffeine shot from my slumber.

Another brain dump follows (caveat: I have never watched this movie):

Prologue-

As good as a prologue can be (I guess?)
- mostly center speaker narration to set the scene.

Belle:

Like: great spread of individual voices. Chorus surrounds from rears. Great fidelity. Great horn treatment.

Belle reprise:

Great bass. Cinematic.

Gaston:
Strings sound great. Good ‘oompah’ bass. Seems crankable. Chorus spreads really well.

Gaston (reprise):
Operatic. Great snare drum detail.

Be our guest:
Accordian left -side. Lower octave vocals in heights. Patter of drums left side. Cymbals and soprano.

Something there:
‘Pixie’ Bells surrounding. Harpsichord has clear presence mid- height front.

The mob song-
Spine- tingling scale. Enchanting. Very near demo worthy. Ceiling usage ‘kill the beast’! Impressive.

Beauty and the beast:

Piano ceiling right. Chimes from ceiling. Magical.

To the fair:
Ability to isolate instruments A+. Demo worthy on this basis.

West wing:
Spooky wavering Disney-esque vocals. Trumpet right height ~ 1:45. Brass has great character. Great cascade of piccolo flutes (?) from heights.

The Beast lets Belle go-
Timpani drums build up ~1:10

Battle on the tower:
Love the flourishes from the ceiling. ‘Tinkles’. (Can’t name instruments used)- Very engaging. Harp extends left side with strums. Demo worthy.

Transformation-

Beautiful build up in scale. Horns and strings combined -pull at heart strings. ( Imagine this to be a tear jerker moment.) Great ending.

Beauty and the beast (Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson-
I love the minimalist pattering of percussion around the listening position. Great vocal performance in duet setting. Drum hits in rears ~ 2 mins. Very accomplished. Demo worthy.

The ability for this to transport me back to a primary aged kid, standing in front of my crappy stereo listening intently to story books is impressive.

Verdict: If I had the chance to listen to this as a youngster in my current setting- would’ve been a truly enchanting experience.

I am judging this on a classical music scale, and note many demo worthy moments within this context. Very tempted to give thus a 9.5 - were it not for the detrimental effect upon my ‘street- cred’. 🤫🥴

based on some of the feedback i've had in days gone by, some/all of this maybe out of most Quaddies' comfort zones i'm guessing.. but maybe some folks might like to at least try some of it and see how they get along? 👀🤞some of the mixes are very Surround-y and musically i found Post Malone and Adekunle Gold's albums most enjoyable in particular ✌️

Last edited:
Honestly I had no plans to listen to this when I parked myself in the listening position. (But i’m glad I did).

I started with the last track with Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion (and compared to what I was listening to prior {shall remain nameless for now as I was falling to sleep} was like a caffeine shot from my slumber.

Another brain dump follows (caveat: I have never watched this movie):

Prologue-

As good as a prologue can be (I guess?)
- mostly center speaker narration to set the scene.

Belle:

Like: great spread of individual voices. Chorus surrounds from rears. Great fidelity. Great horn treatment.

Belle reprise:

Great bass. Cinematic.

Gaston:
Strings sound great. Good ‘oompah’ bass. Seems crankable. Chorus spreads really well.

Gaston (reprise):
Operatic. Great snare drum detail.

Be our guest:
Accordian left -side. Lower octave vocals in heights. Patter of drums left side. Cymbals and soprano.

Something there:
‘Pixie’ Bells surrounding. Harpsichord has clear presence mid- height front.

The mob song-
Spine- tingling scale. Enchanting. Very near demo worthy. Ceiling usage ‘kill the beast’! Impressive.

Beauty and the beast:

Piano ceiling right. Chimes from ceiling. Magical.

To the fair:
Ability to isolate instruments A+. Demo worthy on this basis.

West wing:
Spooky wavering Disney-esque vocals. Trumpet right height ~ 1:45. Brass has great character. Great cascade of piccolo flutes (?) from heights.

The Beast lets Belle go-
Timpani drums build up ~1:10

Battle on the tower:
Love the flourishes from the ceiling. ‘Tinkles’. (Can’t name instruments used)- Very engaging. Harp extends left side with strums. Demo worthy.

Transformation-

Beautiful build up in scale. Horns and strings combined -pull at heart strings. ( Imagine this to be a tear jerker moment.) Great ending.

Beauty and the beast (Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson-
I love the minimalist pattering of percussion around the listening position. Great vocal performance in duet setting. Drum hits in rears ~ 2 mins. Very accomplished. Demo worthy.

The ability for this to transport me back to a primary aged kid, standing in front of my crappy stereo listening intently to story books is impressive.

Verdict: If I had the chance to listen to this as a youngster in my current setting- would’ve been a truly enchanting experience.

I am judging this on a classical music scale, and note many demo worthy moments within this context. Very tempted to give thus a 9.5 - were it not for the detrimental effect upon my ‘street- cred’. 🤫🥴
How good is this....9.5 indeed!!

By the way, can we take a moment to acknowlegde we're even getting 12" remixes in surround sound?! How awesome is that.

In the mid-2000s, I was buying vinyl 12"s on eBay, hooking up my record player to my PC and transferring the mixes and b-sides, thinking some of that stuff was never gonna make it to CD. And now here I am, listening to the 12" version of Wham's Freedom in Atmos. F*ckin' A.

This one is a quirky release but sometimes I like little musical challenges...
Of which this is certainly one....I like it.

Wow, totally missed this, although I had it in my library already, now off to my playlist of selected Atmos albums it goes!

The home session with Wichita Lineman cover is not half bad either:

Back