Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, can we take a moment to acknowlegde we're even getting 12" remixes in surround sound?! How awesome is that.

In the mid-2000s, I was buying vinyl 12"s on eBay, hooking up my record player to my PC and transferring the mixes and b-sides, thinking some of that stuff was never gonna make it to CD. And now here I am, listening to the 12" version of Wham's Freedom in Atmos. F*ckin' A.
I do love the idea of surround mixes of 12" mixes! There are some very nice Atmos remixes of Lavender Haze and Anti-Hero that persuaded me to check out Taylor Swift.

I don't know, I just found it a week ago in this thread. :)

I posted the original post. Last I checked I think there was another song but not the whole album. But it wasn't as good as California Dreaming. The separation between the Mammas on one side as the Papas on the other is just amazing.

This is how a classic masterpiece should be mixed in Atmos. Fantastic.:)

You had me all excited! I’m not seeing anything on the album on this link in Atmos. I can still see ‘Californian Dreamin’’ in Atmos on two Greatest Hits compilation’s. Same in multiple geographies. Will have to check my library to see if an historical version is overriding it. A bit confused! In your statement ‘how a classic album should be mixed in Atmos’ are you referring to the album or just the one ‘California Dreaming’ song?

You had me all excited! I’m not seeing anything on the album on this link in Atmos. I can still see ‘Californian Dreamin’’ in Atmos on two Greatest Hits compilation’s. Same in multiple geographies. Will have to check my library to see if an historical version is overriding it. A bit confused! In your statement ‘how a classic album should be mixed in Atmos’ are you referring to the album or just the one ‘California Dreaming’ song?
Got me all excited too. Hopefully in the future...

Signed up for a free apple music trial, but I can't get it to stream in multichannel on my ps5, phone/chromecast, or laptop 😡
PS5 started supporting Atmos today via Beta 3.0! Can confirm that the Apple Music app can pass Atmos via Apple Music app!!

Attachments

• 20230731_223140.jpg
    20230731_223140.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Just that song, it is a classic masterpiece isn't it? :cool: And I didn't say anything about "album" in my original post.;)

Just that song, it is a classic masterpiece isn't it? :cool: And I didn't say anything about "album" in my original post.;)
Oh I see! The whole album appeared in the link, hence the assumption. Nothing to do with what you said. Usually the link would be just for the song. There was no specific song mentioned hence the confusion. I can’t do it, as the track is not in Atmos in the context of the album for me. I love the mix and was looking forward to more, having always loved the album.

Oh I see! The whole album appeared in the link, hence the assumption. Nothing to do with what you said. Usually the link would be just for the song. There was no specific song mentioned hence the confusion. I can’t do it, as the track is not in Atmos in the context of the album for me. I love the mix and was looking forward to more, having always loved the album.
When I found the link it showed the whole album, so I just added it like that. Sorry for fooling you, it was not intentional. :)

My listening thoughts and personal perspective on this new release:

It’s Euphoric

Dance beat- but real drums. Hand claps in rears. Main vocal fronts -> the vocal response directly behind listening position. Interesting treatment of drums with ~min to go. Vocal appears confined to center with reverb spreading to floor fronts.

Give it up for love:

Percussion has the effect of floating above/behind listening position with textured beat elements (later discovered beats developed from/in conjunction with William Orbit). At times parts move to fronts.
Dislike: sounds a bit cluttered near end

Some things you’ll never know:

Interesting bass line. House-style keyboard stabs tend to float around listening position, with bass line doing this around a min to go. Uniquely textured song.

Mountain song:

Objects tend to float with difficulty pin-pointing origin. Love the section around 2 mins with a lot of height effects employed. Constant muted synth clap left rear. Very active usage of sound field. Nice circular pans near end.

All night:

Quite complex section around 2 mins towards end with deep bass extensions.
Like we were dancing ( part 1):
Bass has the appearance of extending forward from fronts.

The dream:

Cool drum pan ~ 2:15.
Keep on:

Interesting vocals ~ 7 secs to end.

Friends will never let you go:

Adventurous drums and vocal effects. Verging on accoustic jungle beat.

So what:

Interesting drums from ~ 2:15 . Dreamy vocal effects follow. Drums have a stomping quality- increasing in Intensity.

Verdict: Quite an active mix that is definitely not anaemic, but at times can sound a little too ambitious- lacking the refinement of a more accomplished mix, with elements at times sounding cluttered/competing against each other. Full marks however for trying to keep things interesting with elements moving in step with the myriad of filters, reverbs, sweeps and other effects employed and usage of height and dimensions, rather than single speaker isolation of elements.
An album deeply rooted in dance music with a highly textured beat arrangement- with a more organic feel- apparently due to usage of (at least in part) to an acoustic drum kit.
No demo moments for me- but certainly some interesting Atmos moments- that make full usage of the speaker array. Musically probably extended two tracks too long as soundscapes started losing any sense of uniqueness near end. Some may love this more than me- particularly those with dance music inclinations- just in my opinion better albums within this genre existing ATM. 7.5/10.

PS5 started supporting Atmos today via Beta 3.0! Can confirm that the Apple Music app can pass Atmos via Apple Music app!!
Interesting thanks.

So proof that Apple can't ignore that market and expect them to buy one of their boxes.

Maybe Android TV is next, hope springs eternal.

Interesting thanks.

So proof that Apple can't ignore that market and expect them to buy one of their boxes.

Maybe Android TV is next, hope springs eternal.
I was thinking of an excuse to buy a PS5, but I think I'll wait a bit more for the new slimmer version.

Back