Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do indeed, but only for Apple products of course.

I don't see any badge on Tidal to tell me whether a given album is Atmos encoded or not which is maddening. Also, I thought Atmos automatically converted to spatial audio when headphones were used as DTS:X does. I suppose it wouldn't know if you were using headphones or stereo speakers. Do Tidal or Amazon also have a spatial audio decoder, or is it just Apple?
Amazon and Tidal do Atmos, but their decoder is the one provided by Dolby. However It seems Dolby is trying to catch up on head tracking and HRTF. Apple is ahead here. Dolby is starting to pay attention to this segment of the consumer market.

I see the Atmos badge on the web and on my phone, in the App. I don't have the links now on my phone, but there is a whole web section for Atmos, but it is very incomplete. You need to use the app, search an Artist, pick any album, then select more albums from this artist. Then you can see all the albums and which ones are in Atmos. Sad that the process isn't easier.
Here's a web link to Tidal Atmos stuff. Like himey said, it's far from complete and often doesn't list a lot of the new stuff. I watch for posts here and search based on those. You can use the ellipsis '...' then 'Share' then 'Copy track link' to get the direct URL to the track/album.

I checked out "Let's Get It On" and it's definitely a new remix, there are discrete congas and background vocals in the height speakers. "Distant Lover" has less going on up top, but all seven floor channels are going with backing vocals in the sides & strings in the rears.

I'd be surprised if any of the tracks on this comp are sourced from the quad masters.

Reminded that it's the 50th anniversary of the release of the chart-topping Let's Get It On album, a browse on Apple revealed a 50th Anniversary five "disc" super deluxe edition full of rarities, demos & instrumentals.

Including an Atmos mix of the full 4:54 album-length version of the title track with the extra minute-long outro.
The one we've been listening to for a while is the 4:04 single radio edit that was released in June 1973 (Which is stereo on this set, but still available in Atmos on the Every Great Motown Hit album).

Delightful action in the heights- Horns & flute LFH, backing vocal RRH.

Kudos to UMG & Motown for a job well done.

"Let's Get It On" is a classic Motown single, endlessly repeatable and always enjoyable. It begins with three great wah-wah notes that herald the arrival of a vintage Fifties melody. But while the song centers around classically simple chord changes, the arrangement centers around a slightly eccentric rhythm pattern that deepens the song's power while covering it with a contemporary veneer.
Above all, it has Marvin Gaye's best singing at its center, fine background voices on the side, and a long, moody fade-out that challenges you not to play the cut again.
— Jon Landau

Back