Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I love this album, but the Atmos mix sounds pretty unadventurous after getting a few songs in? Seems quite front focused? Most of the backing vocals sound like they are at the front on ‘Stuck With You’… There are discrete elements mixed to the rears, but it seems a bit safe… It’s better than the stereo but was hoping / expecting a bit more… 🤷‍♂️

Man I love this album, but the Atmos mix sounds pretty unadventurous after getting a few songs in? Seems quite front focused? Most of the backing vocals sound like they are at the front on ‘Stuck With You’… There are discrete elements mixed to the rears, but it seems a bit safe… It’s better than the stereo but was hoping / expecting a bit more… 🤷‍♂️
What did you think about Sports?

Bob Clearmountain has a certain mixing style which doesn’t utilize rear channels as much as I prefer.

As I’m getting through the album it seems a bit better and I’m warming to the mix more… I’m just surprised that Stuck With You sounded so front focused to me. It was an error to jump from listening to uber discrete quad beforehand… Also the step down in fidelity probably doesn’t help either…

Bob Clearmountain has a certain mixing style which doesn’t utilize rear channels as much as I prefer.
Yeah, it's odd, because Clearmountain has proven to be able to use the rears extensively and interestingly -- Roxy Music's Avalon doesn't hurt for rear action at all, and the 5.1 of The Band (Brown Album) has Robbie Robertson's guitar and Garth Hudson's keyboards exclusively in the rears (one speaker each). So, I'm curious what's changed with his thinking as far as his most recent projects like the Huey Lewis stuff.

Disappointing, at least on my 5.1 setup. Forever Your Girl has a lot of potential for a fun and creative surround mix, and maybe I was spoiled by having just listened to the great mix of Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual. But, this is just really front-focused meh, without much in the way of unique info in the rears. Oh well.

I wish he'd use the heights a bit more, but the side & rear speakers are usually pretty busy in his Atmos mixes. There was one song on the new Duran Duran album where the whole drum kit came out of the back!

I haven't listened to Fore! yet, but his Sports Atmos seemed to have a lot going on all around - "The Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll" had electric guitar side left, sax side right, and organ across the rears.

I wish he'd use the heights a bit more, but the side & rear speakers are usually pretty busy in his Atmos mixes. There was one song on the new Duran Duran album where the whole drum kit came out of the back!

I haven't listened to Fore! yet, but his Sports Atmos seemed to have a lot going on all around - "The Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll" had electric guitar side left, sax side right, and organ across the rears.
It seems to me we are using different names for the same speakers. When someone say rear channels I think surround back, but maybe they mean side surrounds? I get a little confused at times. ;) I'm with you about his use heights, it's a little weak.

Yeah, it's odd, because Clearmountain has proven to be able to use the rears extensively and interestingly -- Roxy Music's Avalon doesn't hurt for rear action at all, and the 5.1 of The Band (Brown Album) has Robbie Robertson's guitar and Garth Hudson's keyboards exclusively in the rears (one speaker each). So, I'm curious what's changed with his thinking as far as his most recent projects like the Huey Lewis stuff.
Avalon is one of the top 10 surround releases of all time. It truly is sublime... :) Bob was really on form for that one... The new Duran Duran album I thought was really good. For whatever reason I just don't think Fore! lives anywhere near up to the same level? It does get a tad bit more adventurous as the album progresses... For example the penultimate track 'Naturally' has more seperation with the backing vocals. But could've sounded better I think - especially in the context of Avalon! Oh well...

Last edited:
Back