Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a flick through earlier, a great side effect was the nice reminder how good an album it is.. sadly wasn't knocked out by what i was hearing from a Surround pov.. 😔

felt too front-focussed for my tastes, with muted vocal refrains, some ambience, snatches of lower level horns (etc) popping up in the Rears/places other than upfront.. but ultimately too much was emanating from the Front, making the whole thing feel kinda flat 🤷🏻‍♀️

do we know who mixed this? 👀
thinking maybe the same person who did the Atmos of "The Nylon Curtain"? 🤔

whoever it is, sorry i can't sugarcoat it, the effort's no comparison to the 5.1 SACDs of "52nd Street" & "The Stranger", nor the 3 old Quads; "Piano Man", "Streetlife Serenade" & "Turnstiles" (even though the Quads are far from perfect they're far superior in the Surround-y stakes to this!) 😫🤦‍♀️
Well, that's a bit of a relief ;-) Great album, though most of it is on the 1997 3-CD Greatest Hits box that I have, I was always glad to have the 2-3 extra tracks. "Cristie Lee" is a stand-out. She didn't need another lover, all she wanted was the sax!

i guess "The Longest Time" was some sort of highlight, although there's not a great deal going on in the track at least some vocal bits were spread about a bit, although most of the time it was was all just subpar Surround.

the title track ("An Innocent Man") was so reverberant, it sounded like it was being played back in a cave 😅

come to think of it, i don't remember any of the tracks from this timeframe on that Billy Joel video collection DVD being Thom Cadley's finest 5.1 work but i do remember it being more effective Surround sound than this 😔
It's a great album. I remember the LP as sounding really good. Though it's a long time since I've listened to that one. I really liked Phil Ramone's production. Loved the finger snaps on the title track. There was a lot of reverb originally as well, but of course we tolerated a lot more reverb back then. In that way the new mix is true to the original. Sadly the atmos mix sounds like they haven't done the best out of the material. The surround part is mentioned and compression also. I think a lot of the details could have been improved at lot by just by spending some more time in the mixing process. The low end sounds fairly good but I notice some colouration in the hi mids. There's also room for adding more above 10k typically on the lead vocal and drums. Could be an analog generation loss thing if multichannel or stems were copied to a not to well adjusted recorder. This album deserves a atmos treatment like Elton John's albums. I think it has the potential of sounding just as good.

i guess "The Longest Time" was some sort of highlight, although there's not a great deal going on in the track at least some vocal bits were spread about a bit, although most of the time it was was all just subpar Surround.

the title track ("An Innocent Man") was so reverberant, it sounded like it was being played back in a cave 😅

come to think of it, i don't remember any of the tracks from this timeframe on that Billy Joel video collection DVD being Thom Cadley's finest 5.1 work but i do remember it being more effective Surround sound than this 😔
Yeah, on the DVD you mentioned (The Ultimate Collection), "The Longest Time" has Billy's lead vocal in the center (with bleeds to the other fronts) and a different backing vocal part in each of the four corners, to very nice effect.

There are three other Innocent Man songs on the DVD: "Tell Her About It", "Keeping The Faith", and "Uptown Girl". However, all three of those have unavoidable dialogue or sound effects or audience noise during the intros and/or outros -- "The Longest Time" has 30 seconds of dialogue and ambient noise beforehand, but they don't run into the song itself, so if you clip those 30 seconds, it's a clean mix.

Man I would love to spend a day in Mr. Clearmountain's studio listening to some of what he's done that hasn't heard the light of day yet...that would almost be worth one of my kids.
:LOL:
This studio?
IMG_7645.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/322144423
Mix by Dennis “ROC.am” Jones

Really great mix! I wish it was the entire album. It's all so much fun. Anyone who enjoys this should give Take 6 a try, their first album is beautiful and was released in 5.1 (including a couple of tracks from their second album, that was heavily influenced by this Bobby McFerrin album).

Back