Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Who By Numbers is the other album they were hinting at, but it will just be a vinyl reissue, coming in February.
I was excited at the speculation ‘Who By Numbers’ may see an Atmos release. It’s my favourite ‘Who’ album after ‘Who’s Next’ and ‘Tommy’, although sometimes it may be favorite. Disappointed!!

How about some more Billy Joel!!
had a flick through earlier, a great side effect was the nice reminder how good an album it is.. sadly wasn't knocked out by what i was hearing from a Surround pov.. 😔

felt too front-focussed for my tastes, with muted vocal refrains, some ambience, snatches of lower level horns (etc) popping up in the Rears/places other than upfront.. but ultimately too much was emanating from the Front, making the whole thing feel kinda flat 🤷🏻‍♀️

do we know who mixed this? 👀
thinking maybe the same person who did the Atmos of "The Nylon Curtain"? 🤔

whoever it is, sorry i can't sugarcoat it, the effort's no comparison to the 5.1 SACDs of "52nd Street" & "The Stranger", nor the 3 old Quads; "Piano Man", "Streetlife Serenade" & "Turnstiles" (even though the Quads are far from perfect they're far superior in the Surround-y stakes to this!) 😫🤦‍♀️

had a flick through earlier, a great side effect was the nice reminder how good an album it is.. sadly wasn't knocked out by what i was hearing from a Surround pov.. 😔

felt too front-focussed for my tastes, with muted vocal refrains, some ambience, snatches of lower level horns (etc) popping up in the Rears/places other than upfront.. but ultimately too much was emanating from the Front, making the whole thing feel kinda flat 🤷🏻‍♀️

whoever it is, sorry i can't sugarcoat it, the effort's no comparison to the 5.1 SACDs of "52nd Street" & "The Stranger", nor the 3 old Quads; "Piano Man", "Streetlife Serenade" & "Turnstiles" (even though the Quads are far from perfect they're far superior in the Surround-y stakes to this!) 😫🤦‍♀️

bummer man.

I think dynamic compression contributed to the 'flat' sound as well - I kept noticing a 'pinched' quality to the choruses in the title track, and other louder bits throughout the album.

"The Longest Time" sounds pretty nice though (not that it takes a rocket scientist to make an interesting surround mix of that song...)

I think dynamic compression contributed to the 'flat' sound as well - I kept noticing a 'pinched' quality to the choruses in the title track, and other louder bits throughout the album.

"The Longest Time" sounds pretty nice though (not that it takes a rocket scientist to make an interesting surround mix of that song...)
i guess "The Longest Time" was some sort of highlight, although there's not a great deal going on in the track at least some vocal bits were spread about a bit, although most of the time it was was all just subpar Surround.

the title track ("An Innocent Man") was so reverberant, it sounded like it was being played back in a cave 😅

come to think of it, i don't remember any of the tracks from this timeframe on that Billy Joel video collection DVD being Thom Cadley's finest 5.1 work but i do remember it being more effective Surround sound than this 😔

Listening to The Band in Atmos. I don’t know if there are plans for Atmos mixes of the albums that we don’t currently have, but an eventual box set of just the Atmos mixes of whatever they want to give us would not go unappreciated.

I think Cahoots is the only album in Atmos on disc with The Band and Music From Big Pink steaming-only.

Slightly related is an interview I saw with Wolfgang Van Halen saying A Different Kind of Truth isn’t available on streaming because one band member doesn’t like it. Wolfgang's comment was that he hopes people who like the album have a physical disc.

While that’s not a surround mix, it simply reminds me that what we have on streaming is somewhat at the mercy of any number of factors. In some cases, like The Band, it would be a shame to someday possibly lose what are very nice Atmos mixes.

Totally agree, it's bland from an immersive mix POV. The 5.1 SACD's are way superior. I need to track down those quads at a reasonable $

Back