Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw the latest Beta update 17.2 (21K5341f) hasn't corrected the Dolby Audio 5.1/7.1 channel mapping issue 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_2991.jpeg

How do you like the mix on this?
I only gave it a casual listen, tbh (I'm slightly chagrined to admit I've never been a big Wu fan, although I really like some of RZA's film scores). But I thought it was fairly active. Lead vocals originate from various points, since there are often so many rappers trading verses. Sometimes one rapper's vox will wander slowly around the room, as if he were wandering back and forth across the soundstage. And on some tracks, the mixer uses another effect where, say the lead vox might be anchored in fronts or rears or even in a diagonal pair, but snippets of phrases will also be randomly copied into some other speaker, even a height speaker, giving the whole delivery a kind of woozy feel, almost like the rapper were tossing the mic back and forth from one hand to another as he delivers the lines.

People who know the album better than I and listened more carefully might want to chime in?

Last edited:
Now that I have a Tomita SACD, I’m trying to wrap my head around all the re-naming his discography has had…
And stumbled upon Dolby Atmos releases of his?
As well as this, which seems to be the same thing just with all the track titles in Japanese:
Still giving Claire De Lune a spin, so haven’t checked them out yet. I wonder if it’s true Atmos or the quad in a wrapper…

The Kinks in surround????? Granted its just one Christmas single, but hopefully a sign of things to come. This band was always notably absent when it came to surround remixes, so I love to see this.
EDIT: Finally got a chance to listen, really good mix. Can anyone on Tidal see who did it?

This is great! Has Ray Davies finally been bitten by the surround bug? I hope this is the start of some future Kinks Atmos mixes. And yeah, if a Tidal user could check to see who did the mix, I'd love to know.

Father Christmas, give us more Atmos!

Now that I have a Tomita SACD, I’m trying to wrap my head around all the re-naming his discography has had…
And stumbled upon Dolby Atmos releases of his?
As well as this, which seems to be the same thing just with all the track titles in Japanese:
Still giving Claire De Lune a spin, so haven’t checked them out yet. I wonder if it’s true Atmos or the quad in a wrapper…
That disc is NOTHING like all of his other quad synth discs. I ordered this disc based on my love of every other quad synth discs that I had but I barely made it through ONE listen with this one…

I can highly recommend all of these…
1699750826738.jpeg
even with a few repeated tracks!

Mods, feel free to move this to a new thread if you feel that's appropriate.

One thing that chronically frustrates so many of us here about streaming Atmos is the difficulty of figuring out who did the immersive mix of a given track or album--and, for that matter, the absence of pretty much every other credit that we used to find on an album jacket or in a CD booklet. I don't know exactly how metadata are attached to the files submitted to Apple, Tidal, et al., but it seems to me that the labels and streaming services could fix this pretty easily if they wanted to. In fact, the Producers & Engineers Wing of the Recording Academy drew up a list of guidelines for "Credits and Recording Metadata" three years ago. It opens this way:
The Recording Academy® and its Producers & Engineers Wing® have been working with various organizations to address the major music industry problem that, too often, there is still a lack of complete and visible recording credits for creative contributors to the recording process.
What if the labels and/or streamers decided to make these standards enforceable instead of just "recommended"? E.g., "You don't get our tracks unless you make all of the metadata visible and searchable" or "we won't accept your tracks unless they include credits for all of the following categories in the metadata"?

https://naras.a.bigcontent.io/v1/static/credits_and_recording_metadata_09_27_2021

Last edited:
What if the labels and/or streamers decided to make these standards enforceable instead of just "recommended"? E.g., "You don't get our tracks unless you make all of the metadata visible and searchable" or "we won't accept your tracks unless they include credits for all of the following categories in the metadata"?
Streamers have no incentive to not accept tracks, and the labels have no incentive to not sell them. Especially over this issue, which affects a tiny, TINY percentage of the listeners (i.e. the vast majority of consumers don't care at all).

Streamers have no incentive to not accept tracks, and the labels have no incentive to not sell them. Especially over this issue, which affects a tiny, TINY percentage of the listeners (i.e. the vast majority of consumers don't care at all).
I get that. I'm just making a rhetorical point. Safe to say the vast majority of consumers didn't care about credits listed on album jackets or in CD booklets, either. But crediting people for their work is still the right thing to do.

I wish they would release the "LOVE" album in Atmos. I somehow always enjoy that one very much. That gorgeous version of While my guitar gently weeps gets me every time.
To come back on this post, I found out (or rather: rediscovered what I already knew once) that there’s a DVD-audio with a 5.1 mix of LOVE. Seems to be very highly rated on here, and I managed to order a new CD/DVD combi at a reasonable(ish) €30. That, in turn, led to a long overdue update to a new BR player that plays 4k, DVD-A and SACD (Sony UBP-X800M2). And some more long overdue purchases (Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD, Toto IV SACD, Billy Joel Stranger SACD). All being delivered in the next week! Only thing is, though: how to get this past my wife without her noticing?
[sorry to go off topic BTW]

Back