Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mixing engineer Lew Hahn"
"Remixing Lewis Hahn"
🤷
ah ha! 🙌 the news with Hewey Lewey and the Hahen Brothers! my favourite mixes of theirs are "No Country For A Serious Man" and "O Fargo, Where Art Thou"? 👀😅

ps. TFIF 😋 i can now have my customary flagon of off the wagon 🍻

I like this album a lot, and I find the mixing style really interesting, too. ANOHNI's vocals are reminiscent of the great jazz singer Andy Bey.
a fantastic album and great Surround mix, played it through several times already 💘🥰

Not to steal @sjcorne's thunder, but this album is now available to download at IAA. Very glad to see it!

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/now...hnsons-my-back-was-a-bridge-for-you-to-cross/
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/pro...o-cross-anohi-and-the-johnsons-atmos-mkv-mp4/

Looks like Glass Houses and Streetlife Serenade are officially “Atmosized” on AM.

I'm halfway through Glass Houses now. I was expecting this one to be a major letdown given that Brad Leigh has typically been very conservative on songs that prominently feature Billy's touring band, which this whole album does. And while there are plenty of places where I think Leigh missed some obvious opportunities, he's getting a bit more aggressive here than he has been in the past. The call and response vocals in "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me" jump back and forth from front to rear. More shockingly, the piano solo on "Don't Ask Me Why" jumps to the rear. "I Don't Want to Be Alone Anymore" is a strange one; on the verses the rears are almost non-existent but become significantly more active during the chorus. (Keep in mind I'm listening downmixed to 5.1).

"I Don't Want to Be Alone Anymore" is a strange one; on the verses the rears are almost non-existent but become significantly more active during the chorus.
"All For Leyna" is kind of like that too, basically all fronts during the verses and then the backing vocals ('there's nothing else I can do...") during the chorus suddenly blast out of the height speakers. But other than those two songs, I really enjoyed this mix.

"You May Be Right" has the electric rhythm guitars isolated in the side speakers, and Billy's harmonies are solo'd in the center channel (kind of an odd choice, but interesting to hear in isolation).

"Sometimes A Fantasy" is definitely a highlight - it starts with the dialing sound effect in the rear surrounds, then the rhythm guitars fill out the sides and rear when the drums come in. The 'woah woah' backing vocals during the chorus are in the rears, and then the synth parts that come in after the chorus are in the height speakers.

"Don't Ask Me Why" has the acoustic guitars 100% in the sides and backing vocals in the rear. Then, during the piano solo (also in the rear), the percussion moves between the front height speakers.

...and on to Streetlife Serenade. I'm sure this mix will forever be compared to the 4.0 which (if memory serves - it's been ages since I listened to the quad) was crazy discrete. But this is overall a pretty pleasing mix. I especially enjoyed the mix on "Weekend Song" which has the organ blasting pretty loudly from the right rear.

We now have all of Billy's studio albums from 1973 - 1983 in Atmos. Four more to go and we'll have all the studio albums.

...and on to Streetlife Serenade. I'm sure this mix will forever be compared to the 4.0 which (if memory serves - it's been ages since I listened to the quad) was crazy discrete. But this is overall a pretty pleasing mix. I especially enjoyed the mix on "Weekend Song" which has the organ blasting pretty loudly from the right rear.

We now have all of Billy's studio albums from 1973 - 1983 in Atmos. Four more to go and we'll have all the studio albums.

Cool, just added to my library!

I'm halfway through Glass Houses now. I was expecting this one to be a major letdown given that Brad Leigh has typically been very conservative on songs that prominently feature Billy's touring band, which this whole album does. And while there are plenty of places where I think Leigh missed some obvious opportunities, he's getting a bit more aggressive here than he has been in the past. The call and response vocals in "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me" jump back and forth from front to rear. More shockingly, the piano solo on "Don't Ask Me Why" jumps to the rear. "I Don't Want to Be Alone Anymore" is a strange one; on the verses the rears are almost non-existent but become significantly more active during the chorus. (Keep in mind I'm listening downmixed to 5.1).

Nice, and added this one to my library.

Back