Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not really hearing it down mixed so-to-speak - you're just hearing it without Atmos metadata, ie normal 5.1. Streamed Atmos is just good ol' fashioned Dolby 5.1 (commonly referred to as a 5.1 "bed") with metadata to generate sound to all other speakers beyond 5. Blu-ray Atmos is a 7.1 bed with Atmos metadata for all the height channels.
Yeah, I was using the term loosely, as shorthand. But I thought that streaming Atmos could have a 7.1 bed rather than 5.1, and BD Atmos could be on a 5.1 bed, depending on the choices of the mixer -- are we sure that's not the case?

Yeah, I was using the term loosely, as shorthand. But I thought that streaming Atmos could have a 7.1 bed rather than 5.1, and BD Atmos could be on a 5.1 bed, depending on the choices of the mixer -- are we sure that's not the case?
Technically DD+ (the format for streaming Atmos) will support a 7.1 bed, but I haven't encountered it yet.

I am not at all sure whether TrueHD (the Blu-ray audio format) ever has a 5.1 bed.

I can still see it (not play it, not a subscriber)

I can see it too via desktop search at that link, but when you press "Play on TIDAL" you'll get an error message at the bottom saying "content has been removed"

Looks like they were all set to have it, and had the files, but it got pulled. Using a certain software we won't name, that Tidal album ID also shows "No result".

Looks like it is indeed, disappointingly, an Apple exclusive.

"Meticulously adapted"? WT heck does that mean? Oh right, tune in to find out.
lol

My 3 month free trial from my new LG 77" G3 OLED expires Sep 3rd so I'll have to get on listening to this one stat.
FWIW, Apple is really good at getting episodes of the Radio stuff archived for listening shortly after it’s done live. No need to tune in.

This seems like a very safe muted mix to me and another Atmos mix that 99% of the time forgets the centre channel exists. Listened to Columbia, Slide Away and Rock N Roll and so far nothing made me smile.

Hopefully one day we will get a BD and at least some good will come from this - getting a dynamic stereo mix down.

Seems like much of the extra vocals that are quite clear on the CD are lost, Slide Away has long been a fave of mine but the “all I know is you can take me there” part is really lost in the mix - what a great opportunity it would have been to have the “Slide Awaaaaay” vocal isolated in the centre nice and clearly with the “all I know is you can take me there” coming through the surrounds at a similar volume.

Oh well, just another day of being disappointed in lossy streaming Atmos.

Just waking up for my 6 am morning meetings and I got multiple pings about the latest album from my all time favorite band King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard getting an Atmos mix.

Gonna need someone to report back while I wait for acceptable hours to sample it.
Now this one I like.
Music and mix is really good.

Now this one I like.
Music and mix is really good.
They’re an extremely fun band. They change up their genre each album. The one before this was a techno album, the one before that was thrash metal, the one before that was a jazzy/jammy album based around having a key change every couple of measures etc etc etc. If you dug this one I recommend checking out Fishing For Fishies their other “boogie rock” album, though all their other stuff is in stereo (their concert film Chunky Shrapnel had a theatrical 5.1 mix they claim will eventually come out on blu ray… they said that 4 years ago though and no movement just yet).

If 26 studio albums isn’t enough, they have a whole bunch of live albums, demos, etc under the artist name “bootleg gizzard” on streaming services (or… 100% free and authorized torrents of that same material Here. They encourage fans to make cds, vinyl, cassettes, etc of the “bootlegger” material and distribute them far and wide. Apparently every show from this current US tour will go up there… possibly with stems!). Seeing them 3 times at Red Rocks next weekend for my 7th-9th shows!

They’re an extremely fun band. They change up their genre each album. The one before this was a techno album, the one before that was thrash metal, the one before that was a jazzy/jammy album based around having a key change every couple of measures etc etc etc. If you dug this one I recommend checking out Fishing For Fishies their other “boogie rock” album, though all their other stuff is in stereo (their concert film Chunky Shrapnel had a theatrical 5.1 mix they claim will eventually come out on blu ray… they said that 4 years ago though and no movement just yet).

If 26 studio albums isn’t enough, they have a whole bunch of live albums, demos, etc under the artist name “bootleg gizzard” on streaming services (or… 100% free and authorized torrents of that same material Here. They encourage fans to make cds, vinyl, cassettes, etc of the “bootlegger” material and distribute them far and wide. Apparently every show from this current US tour will go up there… possibly with stems!). Seeing them 3 times at Red Rocks next weekend for my 7th-9th shows!
They are new to my ears.
Even from this album you can tell there's more to them than the average rock band.
3 times eh....will each set be different?

They are new to my ears.
Even from this album you can tell there's more to them than the average rock band.
3 times eh....will each set be different?
Yep! Ever since the pandemic they’ve shifted to more of a jam band vibe (the front man Stuart Mackenzie… everyone calls him Stu credits new-parent-based-insomnia as one of the reasons he got into The Grateful Dead… which blew his mind and he convinced the band to move into a “jammier” direction), but even before that they would switch up setlists from night to night. He would tell interviewers he had a massive excel spreadsheet of what they played in what city what year so he could make each stop different.

One of those “bootlegger” releases, Live In Chicago ‘23 were my last couple of shows I saw, highly recommend it

I decided to go ahead and purchase a new Apple TV 4k+ and got it all connected up to the system last night. So far I've only listed to a few songs from Tom Petty Wildflowers, U2 Achtung Baby, and a few other random tracks in Atmos on Apple Music. All in all, I'm quite unimpressed ... no discrete stuff in what I listened to. I hope there are more discrete releases on Apple Music...onward we go.

You should be hearing a lot of discrete stuff in Wildflowers - background vocals from behind in "You Don't Know How It Feels", orchestra and keys from above in "It's Good To Be King", guitar solo from above in "Don't Fade On Me", etc. Are you sure everything's configured correctly?
I need to listen to the album in full; which I didn't have time to do yet. I will check out the tracks you suggest. As far as I can tell everything is configured correctly. Thanks :)

I decided to go ahead and purchase a new Apple TV 4k+ and got it all connected up to the system last night. So far I've only listed to a few songs from Tom Petty Wildflowers, U2 Achtung Baby, and a few other random tracks in Atmos on Apple Music. All in all, I'm quite unimpressed ... no discrete stuff in what I listened to. I hope there are more discrete releases on Apple Music...onward we go.

Check out A-Ha's "Take On Me". It's a crazy discrete Steven Wilson mix.

Must Hear Spatial Audio Albums and Singles - Episode 1 • 18 Atmos Streaming-Only Top Picks

Back