Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuing the release of Pearl Jam's "lightning bolt' dolby atmos mix, Today Pearl Jam release their second album" VS" in dolby atmos on Apple Music and Tidal.
The album holds a record on that time for selling almost a million copy in the 1st week (mostly on vinyl)

https://tidal.com/album/319764583
Unlike previous Atmos mixes, this album also includes some of the era’s B-sides too!!

Unlike previous Atmos mixes, this album also includes some of the era’s B-sides too!!
indeed. i was surprise when i heard Hold On sound immersive after Indifference is fade out....and then Crazy Mary play as the last Track...wow Mike's and Stone guitar envelopes you in the middle...and i can hear Victoria Williams backing vocal on the heights...

Hearing Richard's voice isolated on the center channel is haunting, spine tingling moment
I like how on the songs where he recorded more than one vocal track, doubling his lines, his harmonies are isolated in another speaker. The whole thing is fantastic, even in "only" 5.1 on my system.

Plus Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers- ‘Mojo’ …
I've just sampled Mojo in Atmos. It's one of my fav Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers albums. Don't think I have listened to it in stereo more than a few times, I like the old 5.1 that much. Great songs. Excellent band. Some really nice storytelling. Ryan Ulyate's recording and mix is superb. If anything on downside, some of you probably would have wanted a some more adventuroues immersiveness. The atmos mix is somewhat different than the 5.1, but they both sound really good IMO. Because of the high quality of the recording/mix you can easily tell this would profit of a linear reproduction. Any hope for a Blu-ray? (If yes, I wish for an alternate drum only mix, just to enjoy Ferrone's drum/percussion work with optimum details.:DPersonal favorites: Running man's bible, The trip to pirate's cove and Don't pull me over.

Personal favorites: Running man's bible, The trip to pirate's cove and Don't pull me over.
Yeah, I love the vibe in "Pirate's Cove" - those spooky vocal delays coming from the rear heights...

The mix is super-adventurous to my ears, lots of lead guitar & harmonica licks in the height speakers plus organ and piano in the side/rear surrounds.

More Pearl Jam!
Lightning Bolt
I've always loved Pearl Jam, but I've never been a big fan of Brendan O'Brian's mixing. Nice to notice that immersive engineer Joe Evans has done a great job in improving the sound on Lightning Bolt. It sounds cleaner with less (unwanted) distortion than the original. No credits for immersive engineer on the Vs album, but I have the same feeling after sampling that one as well. And great they are Atmos and not 360 on Tidal.

I've always loved Pearl Jam, but I've never been a big fan of Brendan O'Brian's mixing. Nice to notice that immersive engineer Joe Evans has done a great job in improving the sound on Lightning Bolt. It sounds cleaner with less (unwanted) distortion than the original. No credits for immersive engineer on the Vs album, but I have the same feeling after sampling that one as well. And great they are Atmos and not 360 on Tidal.
I believe Josh Evans has been responsible for every Pearl Jam Atmos/360 RA mix to date, including Vs.

Pearl VS sounds really good apart from some really intense centre channel levels on some tracks.

Daughter - an acoustic guitar track hits really loud toward the end very distracting.
Glorified G - some vocal delay effects are too loud in the mix in the centre channel.
Leash - a guitar solo towards the end rips your head off in the centre channel and should’ve been a bit lower in he mix or faded in

Ah--here's what's behind these: his death in a plane crash was fifty years ago.
https://www.honest-broker.com/p/jim-croce-and-me
Finally got around to listening to these today. They suck. No center speaker. Nothing particularly discreet going on anywhere else. Could probably do better using your AVR Dolby Surround setting on the stereo mix.

Very disappointing

Back