Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my listening limitations (I don't even want to type about it), I'm wondering to what shall I

LISTEN NOW?
LISTEN NOW?
LISTEN NOW?
1570236112092.png
Be here now

After finishing the Abbey Road sessions cds in synthesized surround...and there are wonderful contents there.....I'm listening to Abbey Road the bluray again!
Each time I hear something new.
This is almost like getting a new Beatles album or going back in a time machine. This is going to last me for weeks.

Ok, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - the Traveler In Atmos!
I listened a couple of times last night and now it’s the first music today. This disk rocks people!

I hadn’t heard about this guy/group to know of until I read an article in Guitar Player mag a short while back. They talked about his new album etc. I don’t recall them mentioning a surround release either. When I read about this disk on this forum, I added it to my birthday present list and have been patiently waiting to see if anyone picked it out for me. Well, as I mentioned earlier, my sweet wife gave it to me yesterday.

I had worried that it might be too much of a modern pop country record but it isn’t. There are a couple of songs that I’d assume could get airplay on a modern country station, but I’d say over all it’s more southern blues rock. The 3rd track just played and it sounded like a Stevie Ray Vaughan song, very nice! The 4th track leans a little towards country but I think it sounds similar to Birdsong At Morning...

The Atmos mix is very good and makes great use of the surrounds and heights. There seems to always be something mixed to the back and a good amount of fun, tasteful panning about on leads or other sustained sounds. I’ve heard both instruments and backing/harmony vocals coming from the ceiling speakers. The addition of height speakers in Atmos definitely makes the surround sound more enveloping than traditional surround. I would rank this Atmos mix second only to The Beatles - Abbey Road and above REM - Automatic For the People, Kraftwerk - The Catalogue and INXS - Kick.

I’m playing this disk through a second time in a row....always a good sign.

David H

Back