Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right about that (y) I do listen to the album though with the bass turned up, treble down, the music is fantastic afterall, what if Rust In Peace was done in surround, Hangar 18 at full throttle :banana:

You are correct about turning down the treble....it does sound a little bit "bright/harsh". I have to agree with that...but seems to me some songs worse than others.

Also, I noticed some comments about Mustain's voice being buried...I don't get that sense what so ever. As I say...who knows.

I absolutely love this disc... so much so that I would even give it an solid 8, especially given the general low quality of metal recordings AND that it's an 80s recording. They pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one. All in all...it's my favorite metal recording in surround.

But I feel the vocals are focused a bit too much in the center channel on this one. Maybe that's what people are referring to. The vocals might be better in a 4.0 setting. I love when a 5.1 mix puts the lead vocals mainly in the center, but it helps if the vocals are spread across the front left & right speakers a little more... and some reverb in the rears also works.

Last edited:
I gave it a 7 :yikes just for the music the rest is poor to say the least.

I just listened to the album again and I have to say that it's better than I remembered it to be, still a 7 but with some adjustments it doesn't sound bad at all so I'm with you again GOS :D, I changed a setting of my receiver (crossover from 150hz to 200hz) and it appears that my sub handles those frequencies better than my other speakers.

Last edited:
This one just keeps getting better. The symphonic in the surrounds work for me, overall a nice full sound with serious low end.
Screen shot 2015-03-07 at 2.51.03 PM.jpg
By the way, I picked up the "Yes Symphonic Live" Blu ray on a QQ recommendation (can't remember who:() it's good though I need to spin it a few more times.

The sound on this one is fantastic! It's electronic music and the surround mix is great, I think Lute can confirm that when he drops by. If you like electronic you won't be disappointed.
My musical tastes have expanded in recent years. The electronica I have works well when needed and nothing else will do.

The sound on this one is fantastic! It's electronic music and the surround mix is great, I think Lute can confirm that when he drops by. If you like electronic you won't be disappointed.

Yes, Schiller - Leben SACD is awesome. If you like electronic ambient/chillout music, you'll LOVE this. I got it a few weeks ago at a very reasonable price.

Highly recommended!

Back