Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ain't it GRAND? It's a "Blessed Relief"!
C154C983-E619-4BEF-96C1-BF4E30E28484_1_105_c.jpeg

POLL

Delivered this morning from Cherry Red. Renaissance - Azure D'Or 2CD 1Blu-ray clamshell. I've played the 5.1 LPCM nicely mixed by @Stephen W Tayler. I've never heard this album before but I have the Turn of the Cards set, there is a difference in the style of music, in the booklet they state that they dropped the orchestra and brought in more synths, this album certainly has more pep to it, here's a screenshot, the blue blob is constantly moving fast around the screen.
azure.jpg

The result of my very first ebay auction has arrived this morning, I'm very pleased with it too:) £26.00 and free postage, there's one for sale on Discogs, they want £169.99 for it:eek:
Paul Draper - Spooky Action 2CD 1DVD book with signed print. 5.1 DTS, my first time hearing this, it sounds OK to me, a decent surround mix!
20221219_114228.jpg

I listened to an Alicia Keys interview this am about her Christmas album, Santa Baby. They played a few cuts, one of them being "Ave Maria," which reminded me of the version on this disc, which i haven't heard in too long! Neville's version gives me goosebumps . . . in a good way! And "A Change Is Gonna Come" brings tears to my eyes . . . in a good way!
View attachment 86361 Aaron Neville believe
Inexplicably, no POLL for this one, but here's a
THREAD with a mere three posts!
https://www.discogs.com/release/4434062-Aaron-Neville-Believe
Bought this early in my collection! Love the mix and consider this one of my “gateway drugs”. Had a second copy that I gifted to a friend to get him hooked!

I've got this on CD... some hints how to decode the content? Or is it only stereo on CD?
Read the follow up post here-
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...surround-volume-2.20127/page-2088#post-663260
don't know if the CD version had the encoding follow it to CD, looks like you probably have this version-
https://www.discogs.com/release/1913475-David-Bedford-Instructions-For-Angels
Other projects got in the way before I could try the @MidiMagic layout for BBC MATRIX H decoding-

"Without an H decoder, the best way is to combine an RM and an SQ decoder with six speakers, placed as follows:

RM lfSQ lbRM rf
😹
RM lbSQ rbRM rb

Reverse the phase of the SQ lb speaker.
For HR, trade the SQ speakers.
RM, QM, BMX, and BHJ decoders work, but with less separation.
Decode equations (Σ)

• lf = .85L-.35(Lj-R)+.15Rj
  • rf = .85R+.35(L+Rj)-.15Lj
  • lb = .85Lj+.35(L-Rj)+.15R
  • rb = -.85Rj+.35(Lj+R)+.15L"
(* but I had some ideas about how to do a software mix after decoding to both QS and SQ to get around the weird speaker config. :unsure:)

or the software UHJ decode (via a Reaper UHJ VST) for comparison, but hope to some day soon.

This isn't an overly discrete affair to begin with, so don't get your hopes up too much! But IMO, any kind of decent QS/RM type decoder will probably not do too poorly.

Back