Marillion “This Strange Engine”

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always dug, Built in Bastard Radar. Never considered that a clunker at all. Never was a fan of Hope For The Future from TSE. I was at the Cleveland show in 1997 at the Odeon in the Flats. My copy of TSE is a Japanese Import from 97. I think I paid around $38 for it.

I was there :)
Pretty much at every Midwest show during the "This Strange Tour" including the Rochester, NY show.
That show was released on CD as a thank you to 2,000 or so fans that donated to tour fund that gave the band the capital to support the the 1997 North American tour. Legend has it that this one of the pioneering efforts of crowdfunding. About 8 years prior to the name term "Crowdfunding:" even being coined.

Damn we were rabid back then.
they did an acoustical show at a record store in Grand Rapids whilst they were in town. Did you go to that also ?

Now come on .... "Your Gone"?
It got to #7 on the UK charts for a week :ROFLMAO:
Now if you mentioned "See It Like A Baby" & "Most Toys" I might have believed you. :p

Plus as a huge Marillion fan you should have drank the cool-aid and swear they do no wrong.

But I'll give you Hope and Faith.
Yeah I know, You're gone is actually the highest charting Marillion single ever in the Netherlands! (it got to number 8). I even bought the single to help them get high up in the charts. Loathe the song though...

I guess what I was trying to say is that it is rather unlikely that we will get to see a lot of full albums releasedin Atmos anytime soon. I recently pleaded on the manager's (Lucy Jordache) Q&A Facebook page and she replied that maybe they would do it. Which does not get my hopes up high t.b.h.
As has been mentioned before: no one in the band seems to really care and I guess that even their buddy Steven Wilson is not able to convince them otherwise. Obviously, Marbles should get an Atmos release ASAP but for the rest it might perhaps be a better idea to do a compilation of fan favourites rather than focus on entire albums.
That said: Lucy Jordache did confirm that they will continue their deluxe reissue program so it is also unlikely that they will start releasing separate Atmos compilations.

I guess what I was trying to say is that it is rather unlikely that we will get to see a lot of full albums releasedin Atmos anytime soon.
That said: Lucy Jordache did confirm that they will continue their deluxe reissue program so it is also unlikely that they will start releasing separate Atmos compilations.

Now on that, I am in complete agreement with you.

All the future deluxe reissue's will undoubtedly be band funded and 100% produced by themselves.

Warner spearheaded the deluxe edition campaign of the first 8 albums and it was likely them made the final decision on who was picked to create the 5.1 mixes.

they did an acoustical show at a record store in Grand Rapids whilst they were in town. Did you go to that also ?
Long time ago but I think so.
Was the record store called something like Eris Hammers Disc Shop or something like that? The owner was local radio DJ too and I think he had a dog he named Kayleigh.

I was working for the top concert promoter out of Cleveland at the time.

I always dug, Built in Bastard Radar. Never considered that a clunker at all. Never was a fan of Hope For The Future from TSE. I was at the Cleveland show in 1997 at the Odeon in the Flats. My copy of TSE is a Japanese Import from 97. I think I paid around $38 for it.
We were probably standing next to each other - I was certainly there in my hometown.

Long time ago but I think so.
Was the record store called something like Eris Hammers Disc Shop or something like that? The owner was local radio DJ too and I think he had a dog he named Kayleigh.

I was working for the top concert promoter out of Cleveland at the time.
you got it !!!
Aris was a great DJ and promoted a lot of bands that were not getting airplay or they were simply new artists. In doing so, he was able to get these artists in to town. Bruce Hornsby, Howard Jones, Marillion, Ambrosia - even Genesis. Aris passed away a few years ago - cancer

you got it !!!
Aris was a great DJ and promoted a lot of bands that were not getting airplay or they were simply new artists. In doing so, he was able to get these artists in to town. Bruce Hornsby, Howard Jones, Marillion, Ambrosia - even Genesis. Aris passed away a few years ago - cancer

Ah Aris, I had his named spelled wrong. Sad to hear that he passed away. He couldn't have been that old, could he? Maybe early seventies?

Now come on .... "Your Gone"?
It got to #7 on the UK charts for a week :ROFLMAO:
Now if you mentioned "See It Like A Baby" & "Most Toys" I might have believed you. :p

Plus as a huge Marillion fan you should have drank the cool-aid and swear they do no wrong.

But I'll give you Hope and Faith.
Hmm, now I kind of want to do a "Bottom 10 List" of Marillion songs. I love the band but there are sure a few stinkers. It's OK, given just how many songs they have.

Let's see (In no particular order):
1)Thunder Fly
2) Older Than Me
3) Throw Me Out
4) Especially True
5) Gaza
6) Invisible Ink
7) Pour My Love
8) Reprogram the Gene
9) The Sky Above the Rain
10) Whatever is Wrong With You

Ha, looks like half of those are just from Happiness Is the Road. There are other songs I don't like, but all of these are instantly skipped.

We were probably standing next to each other - I was certainly there in my hometown.
Actually, I stood in the back. It was too crowded for me near the front. Earlier in the day I was on the other side of the bank for the Alternative Press Show at Nautica. I was hoping to catch Blur before leaving for the Odeon. Everything was off schedule and missed Blur. No way was I missing any of the Marillion show, saw Smashmouth though😂.

Ah Aris, I had his named spelled wrong. Sad to hear that he passed away. He couldn't have been that old, could he? Maybe early seventies?
I know Im a little sidetracked on this thread but Aris was a BIG Marillion promoter

Aris Hampers Obituary​

Hampers, Aris Aris Peter Hampers, 73, passed away peacefully on February 5, 2023. He was born on May 4, 1949 in Grand Rapids, Michigan to Peter and Vivian Hampers. His passion for music began as a small child while soulfully rocking to the record player and jukebox. Throughout his life, he was exceptionally gifted at playing the piano and organ and composing music. After graduating from Ottawa Hills High School in 1967, Aris and friends wrote music and sang vocals in their bands The SoulBenders and later Phlegethon, achieving number one records and winning contests throughout the state of Michigan. Aris was able to share his distinctive voice and love for talented musicians on the Grand Rapids rock radio stations as an on-air host and music director for 37 years. Aris organized rock searches to give local bands the opportunity to showcase their talent and he also mentored many musicians and young acts. He was a lifelong learner of cutting edge video and music technology and also a weather enthusiast. Aris was a proud pet owner to loyal and loving dogs Kayleigh and Asia. Aris was a very genuine, funny and kindhearted man who cherished the love of family and friends and the gift of music. Aris continued to give back to the music community his entire life. May his memory be eternal. Aris is survived by his brother Dean (Valerie), nieces Viviana (Rob) and Marisa (Theodoros), five great-nephews and great-nieces, cousins Maria (Peter), Jim (Vasiliki), Helene and Andrew Christopoulos, and several loving cousins and wonderful friends in the community and beyond. The funeral service was held on Friday February 10th at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.

Back