Matrix vs Discrete

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UK did lose all the data collected in the 1931 census. Admittedly that was caused by the Luftwaffe, but you would have thought it would have been moved somewhere safe.
It's actually a pain for geneology research, one of the main sources is the 1921 UK census as it's the newest freely available. 1931 is lost, 1941 wasn't taken due to WWII, and 1951 onwards are restricted access and chargeable for various reasons that I've never really understood. One claim is people in them are still alive, but that can't be the entire story because it's been the line quoted for many years and there were plenty of people alive from the 1921 census when they starting giving that as a reason, and there still are a few 103 or older people around.

Patents are often pursued, not because the owner wants to use a process, but to deter others or just cover the bases.
When I worked in R&D I spent many hours reading patents. Not my best memories, but was just part of the job. We often had conference calls with patent owners, lawyers, experts, as what is on paper is not always easily apparent, and often deliberately vague.
For rechargeable battery tech, the Japanese were filing many EU patents that covered a multiplicity of things, no matter how simple. So we started doing the same as they were our major competitors.
As co inventor of three patents I received $100/per as a stipend, since all were invented on company time and using company resources.

Since the early 70's I have been reading (mainly) audio patents for fun & education. In fact I contributed an article to Larry Clifton's MCS Review titled Uncle Sam's Department of Quad. I chose that name because that's how I came to think of Patent & Trademark Office. It was the best way to find out how a circuit or system really worked with out the marketing/sales BS. I have no idea how many patents I've ordered or printed out. But they are stored in vertical magazine holders I just measured I have almost 2 linear feet of (mostly) patents. Some are what was then new components such as the SSM audio chips or Burr Brown devices.

A great deal of this was in the halcyon days of quad, pre home PC. So some how some way I would need to actually get patent number somewhere then write a letter requesting them, go to the post office & get a money order for payment. I think the cost back then was 10 cents. So ten numbers, get MO for $1.00 & in a few weeks I had something to delve into. Once you get a few patents ordered there is always prior art patents with their numbers to order new interesting ones from.

Now of course for quite sometime anyone can just go to uspto.gov & look up whatever you want. That's how I found Involve's patents long before @chucky3042 was kind enough to share them here.

Since the early 70's I have been reading (mainly) audio patents for fun & education. In fact I contributed an article to Larry Clifton's MCS Review titled Uncle Sam's Department of Quad. I chose that name because that's how I came to think of Patent & Trademark Office. It was the best way to find out how a circuit or system really worked with out the marketing/sales BS. I have no idea how many patents I've ordered or printed out. But they are stored in vertical magazine holders I just measured I have almost 2 linear feet of (mostly) patents. Some are what was then new components such as the SSM audio chips or Burr Brown devices.

A great deal of this was in the halcyon days of quad, pre home PC. So some how some way I would need to actually get patent number somewhere then write a letter requesting them, go to the post office & get a money order for payment. I think the cost back then was 10 cents. So ten numbers, get MO for $1.00 & in a few weeks I had something to delve into. Once you get a few patents ordered there is always prior art patents with their numbers to order new interesting ones from.

Now of course for quite sometime anyone can just go to uspto.gov & look up whatever you want. That's how I found Involve's patents long before @chucky3042 was kind enough to share them here.
So true. We used to pay for patent searches, but this was pre internet.

Lol...

There's no excuse keeping old digital data on tape drives, floppy discs, CD's etc. It's should be the responsibility of businesses and authorities to transfer their data to newer storage mediums as they become available. I used to do this with all the businesses I worked at. Indeed, I've still got a USB connected floppy drive reader somewhere.

Only a few days ago a friend asked me if I had anything that could read his old floppy disks, compact flash, SmartMedia cards and zip drives. Luckily for him I did and everything is now copied onto a couple of USB thumb drives...
But you have to do this again and again every time the operating system is upgraded.

Zip drives. I haven't thought of those in years. What they bought me at a former workplace to backup my data.

As far as other old stuff, I still have a portable 3.5" floppy drive somewhere in my pc junk. I think I bought it to install Visual Basic many years ago. Still got the 3.5" floppies too. Nostalgia I guess.

And so while we let companies put profits over compatibility with older technologies, think of these scenarios:

1. We almost lost all the data collected in the 1960 census.
IBM changed out older tape drives to newer models on all of their computers in 1961. But they didn't tell anyone the new drives would not read the old tapes. That data would be gone forever if they had not found an old-computer collector who had the computer and drives to read the tapes and print them out.

2. In the early 2000s, a company was ordered to bring to court all of their financial records from their previous 15 years. They brought in floppy disks containing all of their data. The court could not read most of it:
- All of the records before 1994 were in Lotus 123 on the MS-DOS operating system. There were no computers available that could read the data. IBM bought out Lotus to make people use their software instead.
- Microsoft Excel could read Lotus 123 files, but for only a few upgrades. Then Microsoft decided it was "too expensive" to maintain backward compatibility. But this company had relied on the early support in Excel and expected it to continue. And new Excel can't read some old Excel files.
- Nothing could be found to read 8-inch and 5.25-inch floppy disks.
- New computers cannot run any version of older Windows (XP and earlier) or MS-DOS.
The company lost the lawsuit because it could not prove the assertions.

3. In 2004, I was working as a lab engineer at IU. One group was trying to do a 25-year study, and they were in the 12th year of the study when the last computer they originally bought (in 1982, before I started working there) for the study (including the spares they bought) failed. There was no way to move the study over to new computers. They could not even read their old data on new equipment. I found a data extraction program, but some of the data were not extracted correctly. The program that controlled the experiment would not run on newer computers, and the control interface PC card would not fit the bus slots in the new computers. The study was ruined. They could not even use the data they had already collected. Progress and profit ruins all.

4. In the 1970s, I read a novel, "The Day the Machines Stopped". It was about a sudden change that caused all electrical devices to stop working. Electricity refused to flow. Only a few devices continued to work: Diesel engines started by a spring or gunpowder starter, firearms, wind-up phonographs, bicycles, gas stoves, and animal propelled vehicles.
Imagine this scenario: Nuclear "scientists" accidentally set off a device that destroys Tehran and everything within a 200-mile radius. It also destroys every semiconductor device in the world. No more electronics other than tube equipment that does not contain semiconductors. Power-line MOV lightning arrestors become short-circuits. No computers. No cars with semiconductors controlling the engine or transmission. All CD, DVD, and BluRay players and all TVs and radios quit working. No working satellites. No LED lightbulbs. And no more semiconductor manufacture (controlled by computers). Back to wind-up phonographs? And no music that was not recorded on records. Most surroundsound is matrix again.

5. Look at all of the mess that a failed Microsoft update caused this week.

Do you really want companies to profit by deprecating old technologies? Think!
I had a really good database of electronic parts for a business I had in the 80s. The program was PC-FILE-R. My computer would not run the executable, and the structure of the data files was odd enough that it was easier to start over and just guess at what I had done earlier.

I also had a very good recipe program with about a thousand recipes I had gleaned from various BBSs over the uears they were active - total loss. Wordstar files can be retrieved, at least the text, but not the formatting.

The audio industry has been a little better at supporting old formats, but who is using mini-discs these days? Fortunarely, I don’t think anybody ever used elcassettes.

I've got 6 HDD's and 2 SSD's on one machine, and currently 10 HDD's, 4 SSD's, and an NvME boot drive on my main rig.
I think I have 7 HDD's full of BD's on the shelf.
My Surround music collection is getting north of 30TB now in digital form, mostly .iso format where possible.
The madness never ends!

I've got 6 HDD's and 2 SSD's on one machine, and currently 10 HDD's, 4 SSD's, and an NvME boot drive on my main rig.
I think I have 7 HDD's full of BD's on the shelf.
My Surround music collection is getting north of 30TB now in digital form, mostly .iso format where possible.
The madness never ends!

Is that net storage or do you have duplicated backups?

I have all my archived music, from old stereo to current Blu-ray ISOs in about 18TB. I have one 18TB disk online in my main House Atmos Theater. Another copy 18TB disk online in the summer house PC. That I keep in sync regularly, via Internet.

I also have two 18TB duplicated disks (one in each house) for Video Concerts, mostly ISOs.

But, after one online music disk gave me some errors, I implemented a third 18 TB disk offline, that I keep updated from time to time. Yes... I worked for Backup and Disaster Recovery Projects in the past, and feel paranoic about that. :geek:

Is that net storage or do you have duplicated backups?

I have all my archived music, from old stereo to current Blu-ray ISOs in about 18TB. I have one 18TB disk online in my main House Atmos Theater. Another copy 18TB disk online in the summer house PC. That I keep in sync regularly, via Internet.

I also have two 18TB duplicated disks (one in each house) for Video Concerts, mostly ISOs.

But, after one online music disk gave me some errors, I implemented a third 18 TB disk offline, that I keep updated from time to time. Yes... I worked for Backup and Disaster Recovery Projects in the past, and feel paranoic about that. :geek:
I'm talking one copy of all surround music, DTS-CD/DVD/DVDA/SACD/BD/IAA downloads/Surround FLAC only downloads etc is north of 30TB.
I don't store anything for any length of time in the cloud. My internet speed at this time is too low. (allegedly 2 GB up/down fiber next month)

I don't own a summer house. I own a 24/7/365 home with 5.3 acres of woods, a fish pond, a tool shed I built and my shop. I seldom find a want to go anywhere except by necessity as I'm quite happy in my woods. I've already traveled enough and have no desire to do more.

My HDD space on main pc is >120TB, second pc I'm not sure but certainly at least 40TB, which duplicates what surround music is on the main pc.
I have backups of all folders on the main pc on separate drives, but I don't use RAID due to disparate drive sizes and laziness.
For some things like Atmos I have double backups on the main pc.

My system is simple. I have all relevant folders pinned to Quick Access. If I copy a rip to one folder, it's corresponding backup folder(s) are right below it and they get copies as well as my second pc. I also keep a drive on the second pc to archive BD's. Once it fills I box it up and store it with the others.

Frankly I can't afford a NAS with enough storage to suit my needs. Just buying HDD's is enough outgoing cash. I have a large custom all aluminum pc I built over a decade ago that gets periodically revised with a new motherboard/ram/cpu/gpu. The pc has two "pedestals". The top pedestal has a mount for 3 drive racks that each hold 4 drives. I have power conditioners for the drives and all drives are fed from an LSI SAS/SATA board. The bottom pedestal has water cooling pumps and a 480mm radiator.

Well I could go on but you get the idea.

Well I could go on but you get the idea.
Nice. I like it.

I think NAS (or RAID) is not needed for our purposes, as we don't need 24x7 availability. We are not providing any service with SLAs. If we have to find any Backup file on an off-line disk, we can do it, plug the disk, etc. I have more off-line HDDs that are used with cheap USB 3.1 docking connected to each PC. BTW, I found a very nice way of storing the off-line HDDs, inside its original antistatic plastic bag and put them inside old VHS tape cases that suits its size properly. I also design and print the covers for these VHS cases with HDDs. People get impressed when they look at my shelf with those 'old' VHSs and then I open them to show the HDD inside :)

Several copies on offline disks is what I consider to be appropriate for this needs. At the end is too much time and effort to keep a well managed file library, that we cannot afford to lose files. HDD disks are not expensive, compared to the expense of all systems.

Back