MMH Version 6.3 - New Dolby Atmos Helper tool & updated Multchannel Remix tool

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some Atmos .mkv's which are driving me nuts as one is around 15dB down, another is about 10dB down, so turned it up, then I put on a disc, forgot about the level change, and practically blew my ears off :)

I'll have to play with the settings on my X8500HA and hopefully it'll be better.

I have a question about the result of obtaining Atmos lossless m4a files with MMH.
There are two ways to get the same Atmos m4a file, but the size varies, as does the Kbps rate.
By the Extract Audio from MKV in MMH route, I can get Atmos lossless m4a. The other way is MMH Atmos Helper and DEE.
Well, the Atmos lossless m4a by Extract Audio from MKV in MMH is 10% larger in size (Mb) and almost gives 20% more Kbps.
What is the explanation and which is the best way?

Curious note, is that the lossless m4a by the 'Etract Audio from MKV' route are not read by KODI player, it only reads the first track when it is a multi-track album, for example The MPC-HC64 player has no problems when reading all the m4a obtained by one or the other way.
I don't know if I explained myself well.

I’m going to need more info to comment:

Are you splitting an MKV with chapters to create individual m4a files? It sounds like you have a m4a file with chapters if Kodi only plays first song?

What version of Kodi are you using?

How are you using the Atmos Helper? Decoding to wav the reencoding to m4a?

Yes, WAV 7.1 Atmos Helper with DEE to TrueHD Atmos m4a, -31, Music Light

You would need to decode to 7.1.4 wav and then reencode to 7.1.4 Atmos to retain the original 7.1.4 mix intent (or 9.1.6 to 9.1.6)

If you did that you still wouldn’t get same results (and expect same size/bitrate files anyway as the metadata is removed and volume levels are not identical).

I will try and play Atmos TrueHD m4a in Kodi 21.1 later today. What operating system are you using?

You would need to decode to 7.1.4 wav and then reencode to 7.1.4 Atmos to retain the original 7.1.4 mix intent (or 9.1.6 to 9.1.6)

If you did that you still wouldn’t get same results (and expect same size/bitrate files anyway as the metadata is removed and volume levels are not identical).

I will try and play Atmos TrueHD m4a in Kodi 21.1 later today. What operating system are you using?
I don't understand why I have to decode to WAV 7.1.4 or WAV 9.1.6.
I use KODI on Windows 10, 64 bit

Maybe there is just confusion on your descriptions, but if you are using a decoded Atmos file or just an Atmos file ‘core 7.1’ converted to wav then you lose all Atmos metadata and you cannot recreate Atmos by encoding the 7.1 wav to Atmos. So without further exact details I cannot offer any further comments on why your two methods are different.

All I can do is check if Kodi is playing MMH ‘Extract Audio from MKV’ Atmos streams to converted to m4a files. What is the release your are using for MKV to M4A tests? (I will test same if I have it).

I'm using MMH 8.0.5 on Windows 10.

Now I'm totally confused, I thought Dolby Encoder Engine.exe was responsible for inserting metadata into the previously decoded 7.1 WAVs from the MKV. If not, what's the use of DEE?

I'm using MMH 8.0.5 on Windows 10.

Now I'm totally confused, I thought Dolby Encoder Engine.exe was responsible for inserting metadata into the previously decoded 7.1 WAVs from the MKV. If not, what's the use of DEE?
Do you mean decoded Atmos to 5.1.2 in a WAV format? If yes, it would be confusing to call it a 7.1 WAV, especially without an asterisk.

The DEE encodes either a channel based mix or Atmos mix (with metadata created in an authoring tool) to a Dolby Digital Plus (eac3) or TrueHD (mlp) format used by appropriate playback devices/software. DEE does not create the metadata it encodes existing metadata into the audio stream.

DEE does not do Atmos channel based encodes with >8 channels but MMH Helper creates ‘dummy’ Atmos Master Files sets for >8 channels anchoring channels to official Atmos speaker positions as stationary objects (dummy metadata).

You can’t create 7.1.4 channels (12 Atmos objects) from a 7.1 (8ch) file. You can only create a 7.1 file.

More and more confused. I don't understand then why the m4a files I get with DEE from wav 7.1 decoding MKV tell me MediaInfo:
1664Kbps, 48Khz 8channels E-AC-3 JOC (Blu-Ray Disc)(Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos)
JOC are not metadata?

Back