MQA goes into reorganization.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 1 MQA CD (and the regular CD of the same title), to me, the MQA CD sounds like the bass and treble and the difference has been increased in volume as compared to the regular CD.

edit: MQA CD is undecoded.

Anyone looked at the frequency response (and the relative volume of the difference signal) of an MQA CD and the regular CD of the same title?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Anyone looked at the frequency response (and the relative volume of the difference signal) of an MQA CD and the regular CD of the same title?
That would be a pointless exercise unless someone managed to get a regular CD and MQA CD of the same title that were mastered identically, and that seems unlikely.

I still find it odd that audiophile labels EVOSOUND and Norwegian Classical label 2L still continue to release in the MQA format .... EVOSOUND has separate MQA CD releases [like the upcoming Mr Big album] and 2L includes MQA encoding on their CD/BD~A disc combo releases!

https://evo88.com/products/mr-big-t...ease-date-12-july-2024?variant=45602777989363
To a certain extent, 2L is trying to be all things to all people. For instance, they include SACD and Blu Ray, and Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D in the same release package.

To a certain extent, 2L is trying to be all things to all people. For instance, they include SACD and Blu Ray, and Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D in the same release package.
But Mr. E it doesn't negate the fact that to place MQA encoding on the CD layer of a hybrid Multi~CH SACD still incurs a licensing fee payable to MQA!

I applaud 2L's ability to cover ALL bases but can't imagine all the licensing fees paid to DTS, Dolby, Auro 3D and now MQA!

Must have VERY deep pockets!

But Mr. E it doesn't negate the fact that to place MQA encoding on the CD layer of a hybrid Multi~CH SACD still incurs a licensing fee payable to MQA!

I applaud 2L's ability to cover ALL bases but can't imagine all the licensing fees paid to DTS, Dolby, Auro 3D and now MQA!

Must have VERY deep pockets!
I totally agree. Just pointing out the lengths that 2L is willing to go to in order to be format agnostic. And truthfully, will all of the licensing fees they have to pay, their prices aren’t bad!

I totally agree. Just pointing out the lengths that 2L is willing to go to in order to be format agnostic. And truthfully, will all of the licensing fees they have to pay, their prices aren’t bad!
I bought 2L's Nordic Brass Ensemble - European Tour recently. Both the playing and recording quality are stunning. I played the Blu Ray.

2L immersive mixing studio

IMG_7665.png

not dead yet. actually MQA CD releases continue in Japan--

Van Halen: 4 mini LP MQA-CD Reissues​

Van Halen: 4 mini LP MQA-CD Reissues

One of the world's legendary hard rock acts, Van Halen, will have four of their masterpieces reissued in cardboard sleeves. Each features the high-fidelity MQA-CD format. Titles are: "5150," "OU812," "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," and "Balance."

Last edited:

One of the world's legendary hard rock acts, Van Halen, will have four of their masterpieces reissued in cardboard sleeves. Each features the high-fidelity MQA-CD format. Titles are: "5150," "OU812," "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," and "Balance."
Call me when the DLRoth-era stuff is released in 5.1/Atmos. This is a money grab, and a lazy one at that. And stop pulling one over on the Japanese audience. Are these also on SHM-CD? Jeez. I know the bullets may be flying soon from my fellow forum members, but seriously. Do it right or don’t bother. No wonder costs keep rising.

And get those kids off my lawn!

Last edited:

And ALL are available for pre~order with a release date of September 18th from CDJapan at a price just under $19 per MQA CD

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/Van-Halen-4-mini-LP-MQA-CD-Reissues

And according to CDJapan all will be distributed by SONY who AFAIK has never released an MQA CD prior to this batch!

Last edited:

It's amazing and sad the lengths some labels will go to rip off Japanese "audiophiles". :cry:

Thanks for the heads-up . . . ordered two of my favourites from this group. To the nay-sayers, peace.

Thanks for the heads-up . . . ordered two of my favourites from this group. To the nay-sayers, peace.
I ordered the 4. Why? Shoot, I don't have a good explanation.
I am looking forward to the new cool covers, especially 5150.
I have the HDTracks versions of the same, and all the Van Halen HDTracks have been quite good. The two MOFI's have been excellent, especially Van Halen II, that MOFI is king. I have the original CD's, I mean really enough is enough, but happy to still be playing the game, I have known a lot of friends who have died since 5150.
I got to start getting into the ECO PLASTIC CD's that Coldplay are pushing.
These MQA's played through the Luxie, I hope will be good, the best ever, shoot I don't know, I know for a fact they won't be the worst ever.

Since Canadian Hi Fi Company Lenbrook took over conservatorship of MQA things ARE happening. Lenbook is creating a new organization called MQA Labs part of its new media group which envisions three distinct MQA related products: FOQUS, QRONO and ARIA each focusing on a different part of the audio chain. They have also signed a deal with HD Tracks to release MQA encoded downloads. ARIA, Lenbrook says, is a 'transparent delivery codec equally suited for streaming from the cloud or wirelessly from a device for headphones,'

Additionally, in perusing the September 2024 issue of STEREOPHILE Dan D'Agostino, founder of KRELL, has released a new 'statement' Stereo pre amp [list price: $149,500] with an additional optional Digital streaming module [$19,500] which includes MQA decoding

Below is Dan D'Agostino's new exceptionally well rated RENTLESS Stereo pre~amp:
Dan D’Agostino Master Audio System introduces flagship Relentless ...

Back