New David Gilmour record Luck and Strange Sept. 6 2024 (Atmos BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Atmos mix is great, but I wouldn't say it's among the very best. The vocals in Luck and Strange are bit recessed. There's a nice low end foundation to the album as a whole, but it has a bit of a compressed sound to it. Like the dynamic range isn't quite there compared to OaI or RtL. Could just be me though.
I think you're right on the money with this assessment. Though the sound quality on the whole is very good - the drums in particular are nice and punchy, especially on the songs where it's Steve Gadd playing - there's a cluttered feeling to some of the louder passages (choruses to the title track, end rave-up to "The Piper's Call", that final solo in "Scattered", etc) that borders on harshness at times. It's not horrible, but does kinda spoil some of the more grandiose moments.

It'd be interesting to know who actually did the Atmos mix (I couldn't find a credit in the booklet). I found it more impressive than either of the classic '70s PF albums that James Guthrie has mixed, but still not as creative or playful as any of Steven Wilson's mixes or Ryan Ulyate's work on the Tom Petty catalog. The bulk of the instrumentation is in the front and side speakers, with the rears and heights used more subtly to add things like orchestration, backing vocals, big guitar reverb, etc. I love how you can hear those ghoulish choir vocals gradually creep in from the rear heights throughout "The Piper's Call." David's guitar solo at the end of "Between Two Points" is lifted up towards the front heights to great effect.

It's also worth noting that if you have wides (9.1.x), they get a lot of action in this mix. In the title track, Rick's electric piano and David's guitar are almost entirely isolated in those speakers.

L&S, the more I hear it the more I like it.
Caught a little buzz last night and played the Atmos mix thru twice.
I really love the mix and the use of the height channels makes for an impressive presentation.
No doubt it's a 10 for me, maybe higher if I can hack the pole. LOL

L&S, the more I hear it the more I like it.
Caught a little buzz last night and played the Atmos mix thru twice.
I really love the mix and the use of the height channels makes for an impressive presentation.
No doubt it's a 10 for me, maybe higher if I can hack the pole. LOL

I'm going to give it at least one more listen before voting. I'm guessing I will end up on a 9. The issues with the mix, while small, will likely keep it from a 10. I'm still really happy to have this music. Very good stuff.

Back