Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I edited your post quoted above to what I think your meant to say. Is that correct?

Its possible your Oppo requires a language code in the Chapter Name. MMH does not add one. (just a guess)
You are correct and thank you for the correction.

I am not sure what the Oppo requires regarding language code. Not sure how I would go about finding out.

I am going to test it again with an MKV file I made from a VHS I recorded on to my pc.

I added test chapters to it. Titled the chapters and input the chapter times and then I clicked save.

After closing the Create/Edit Chapters, I reopened it and dropped the file into the program and the chapters still show they are there.

I ran the file on my Oppo and it seems to work now.

I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time but I somehow corrected it and all seems well.

Thank you

I've been through all the 100 plus pages of all the MMH threads and can't find a definitive answer, so I'm going to ask a stupid question.

I have a 5.1.2 system. My Yamaha Aventage receiver routes the rear heights to the front heights since I don't have any. I want the rear heights to go to my back surround speakers instead. Possible with any of the MMH apparati?

I've been through all the 100 plus pages of all the MMH threads and can't find a definitive answer, so I'm going to ask a stupid question.

I have a 5.1.2 system. My Yamaha Aventage receiver routes the rear heights to the front heights since I don't have any. I want the rear heights to go to my back surround speakers instead. Possible with any of the MMH apparati?
Use the remix option on the WAV files.

You should be able to set your 5.1.2 layout in your AVR speaker layout settings. I suspect you have set your top speakers as directly overhead. You should set them to the front if that's where they are lo9cated, Then your AVR Atmos decoder should send only top fronts to your top and rear tops to your sides (rears in your 5.1 system))

Here's what I've tried so far to no avail. The audio Blu-Ray I was trying first was the new Atmos Ziggy Stardust.

1. Ripped the Blu-Ray with Make MKV

2. Extracted audio from MKV to both FLAC and WAV and tagged everything correctly as far as titles, etc. with MMH

3. Opened Remix Audio channels in MMH and selected Remix (user defined). I first tried source channel Layout as 9.1.6 Atmos since when I go to the next step, the Atmos version shows as 16 channel (or 8 with True Dolby which gives me no height channels at all). My only option as far as output layout seems to be 5.1.4 since there is no 5.1.2 option. I then attempt to line up the changes in speaker configuration to put the rear heights into the rear surround. After attempting that, I try to drag and drop the first song (Five Years). I get a pop up that there are no supported files in the WAV folder or my choices don't contain correct number of channels. Same result with FLAC files.

I'm guessing the problem is I am not selecting the correct source or output layout or that I need a 5.1.2 option that is not there. Or I need a Dolby Renderer Or it just can't be done.
You should be able to set your 5.1.2 layout in your AVR speaker layout settings. I suspect you have set your top speakers as directly overhead. You should set them to the front if that's where they are lo9cated, Then your AVR Atmos decoder should send only top fronts to your top and rear tops to your sides (rears in your 5.1 system))

I have everything set correctly in the layout settings. Unfortunately, at least for my Yamaha AVR (Aventage 1080), if you don't have rear heights, it seems they put all the height info in the front heights instead of what I want and what seems most logical--the back surrounds. That's why I was trying to see if there was a way to do it with MMH.

Last edited:
@The Hoople RESET please

Back to your original support post:

Are you decoding Atmos on your AVR or playing the Atmos core converted to wav or FLAC as an 8 channel file?

If you are playing Atmos from your MKV rip and decoding then its your AVR settings

You can't play 5.1.2 from a FLAC file

your AVR Atmos decoder should send only top fronts to your top and rear tops to your sides (rears in your 5.1 system))
Have you tested this? My limited testing with Yamaha and Denon receivers both failed the test in Atmos. DTS:X passed. Limits the placing to only overhead in a x.x.2 setup for Atmos sadly.

My AVR settings are correct as far as my speaker configuration. Standard 5.1 plus front presence set to mounted on front wall as opposed to overhead or on top of main L/R speakers bouncing off the ceiling. There is a "Virtual Surround Back Speaker" option you can turn on or off, but I've experimented with that and it doesn't seem to do anything to move any height information to the rear.

Bottom line is that although the Yamaha 1080 is Atmos capable, it can only process 7 channels, so 7.1 or 5.1.2 are the only possible setups. I was just hoping there was a way in MMH to assign the rear height info to my back surrounds to get a better back to front effect. My other option is a new AVR which I can't do right now.

Are you playing files? If so remap is your friend. Otherwise idk
1726159227460.png

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/Music Media Helper Documentation.pdf

My AVR settings are correct as far as my speaker configuration. Standard 5.1 plus front presence set to mounted on front wall as opposed to overhead or on top of main L/R speakers bouncing off the ceiling. There is a "Virtual Surround Back Speaker" option you can turn on or off, but I've experimented with that and it doesn't seem to do anything to move any height information to the rear.

Bottom line is that although the Yamaha 1080 is Atmos capable, it can only process 7 channels, so 7.1 or 5.1.2 are the only possible setups. I was just hoping there was a way in MMH to assign the rear height info to my back surrounds to get a better back to front effect. My other option is a new AVR which I can't do right now.
It is doable but with many hoops.

As it sits now I am under the impression that using an Atmos decoder in a receiver or processor, the only proper placement option is directly above and not front or back when only using two height/top channels. I would love to be proven wrong but this is what I have found using channel tests. DTS:X channel tests do take into consideration the placement of the two height channels and directs the other two channels properly.

I had a scary issue pop up, that I easily corrected, but I got scared and I am not sure where to ask this question, but I know you cats are pretty savvy.
15TB Synology NAS half full.
Player JRiver>imports from NAS.
I ripped the recent Bowie Atmos, added to my NAS M: Drive.
Imported the Bowie from the NAS to my JRiver Video File, MKV file.
Opened, to check for proper tagging and all Atmos albums A thru O where gone, the Bowie imported. Oh no, where did they go, I have them all backed up, but where are they in which safe keeping spare hard drive. Small panic.
Looked at the NAS, whew, all the missing in JRiver where still there.
Imported my entire MKV Atmos folder from the NAS back to JRiver. Problem solved.

I have been doing this since 2014, my style has basically stayed the same.
I checked the working of the NAS and I had a green light all systems good.

My curious question, maybe only from a JRiver user? How/why did that happen? I guess it really doesn't matter, but it did happen, weird.

Back