MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New today on blu: Sting - The Last Ship and Rush - Signals

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 302
Yesterday, I watched the Jaco documentary (Disc 1.) Today, I'm watching Outtakes, Anecdotes & Stories (Disc 2.)

Although I was listening to all genres then, Weather Report was in my wheelhouse. Stuff pushing the limits of jazz, often with rock elements mixed in. Fusion they called it.

The interviews were shot with great video detail. Lots of footage of Jaco performing. Santana, Joni Mitchell, Herbie Hancock, Lenny White, Al DiMeola and many others were interviewed.

If you're a bass player, you need this. Likewise, if you're a jazz fan, you need this. In fact, if you ever liked music, you need this.

In '82 (?), I saw/listened to Weather Report at Poplar Creek (RIP) in Hoffman Estates, IL. Papa Joe Zawinul comes to the mike and says, "now, we're going to have Jaco do his thing." Jaco sits atop this big, hunking amp and proceeds to play Purple Haze solo on his bass. Priceless!

View attachment 24048

I'll try to report back on the Blu-Ray once I've viewed it. It was a wonderful Christmas. It will take me weeks to view/hear the entire haul.

RIP Jaco.

Rush R40. Is Geddy high on crack? He sounds utterly demented. Very strange. I can not stand it.

Rush R40. Is Geddy high on crack? He sounds utterly demented. Very strange. I can not stand it.

I feel a bit like you do about R40 and Geddy's voice. Its a bluray that I'm glad I've got however, because its an historical record of this great band's (probably) last tour, and also its the best sounding live Rush bluray release (even if its not surround enough). Instrumentally they still sound terrific, but yes the vocals are painful, they're like a discordant warble where the words flow into each other.

I don't think I'll be watching this much in the long term, and even then it will only be the second half for the real Rush songs (I know, I know, its only my opinion :couch !). The version of Xanadu is superb I would say.

I guess we should call it a "JACOmentary" :)

Yesterday, I watched the Jaco documentary (Disc 1.) Today, I'm watching Outtakes, Anecdotes & Stories (Disc 2.)

Although I was listening to all genres then, Weather Report was in my wheelhouse. Stuff pushing the limits of jazz, often with rock elements mixed in. Fusion they called it.

The interviews were shot with great video detail. Lots of footage of Jaco performing. Santana, Joni Mitchell, Herbie Hancock, Lenny White, Al DiMeola and many others were interviewed.

If you're a bass player, you need this. Likewise, if you're a jazz fan, you need this. In fact, if you ever liked music, you need this.

He's not high on anything…This is simply the result of singing material in a range that was very difficult at the time which led to it getting even more difficult as he got older till now where it's essentially impossible. I still think he somehow sounded better on this tour than he did on the Clockwork Angels tour, especially given the difficulty of the older material they brought back.

I feel a bit like you do about R40 and Geddy's voice. Its a bluray that I'm glad I've got however, because its an historical record of this great band's (probably) last tour, and also its the best sounding live Rush bluray release (even if its not surround enough). Instrumentally they still sound terrific, but yes the vocals are painful, they're like a discordant warble where the words flow into each other.

I don't think I'll be watching this much in the long term, and even then it will only be the second half for the real Rush songs (I know, I know, its only my opinion :couch !). The version of Xanadu is superb I would say.

That first half is no slouch either, though. I'm sick to death of "Far Cry", but other than that, I love just about every other song in that first half. "The Anarchist" was one hell of an opening song and is now one of my favorites from "Clockwork Angels" (along with the title track.) Then you have the live premieres on this tour of "How It Is" and "Losing It", the latter being one of the biggest highlights of the entire R40 film. "The Main Monkey Business" showcases the amazing instrumental prowess they still possess, and they still manage to nail the other classic songs like "Animate", "Roll the Bones", "Subdivisions", and (especially) "Between the Wheels".
I'll finish up this post by agreeing with you that the R40 version of "Xanadu" is one of the best I have ever heard. It still gives me chills! :)

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2 arrived yesterday while I was out :)

So..... how is it?

I'm kicking myself for paying $15.99 to HD Tracks for the flac version. I just saw the blu-ray on Amazon for something like $12.00 which includes an access code for the flac tracks as well! :mad:

McHoop

So..... how is it?

I'm kicking myself for paying $15.99 to HD Tracks for the flac version. I just saw the blu-ray on Amazon for something like $12.00 which includes an access code for the flac tracks as well! :mad:

McHoop

It's awesome! For any Canucks out there, it's $14.99 CDN at HMV record stores for the blu ray. That's a good price considering how sucky our dollar is.

So..... how is it?

McHoop
And now they want $17.98 for it. The same six 24/96 tracks that come with the Blu-ray purchase. I bought mine at a local store for about $2.50 since I traded in some stuff. It would have been $14.99 otherwise.

Back