New Dolby Atmos BluRay discs from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll vote eventually but having spent a bit more time with the Alanis disc, it's quite a mixed bag. When it's working well it is a really enjoyable mix, but it definitely misses the mark in some spots, often in how the vocals sound. Some passages are super clear with great fidelity, others seem muffled...I don't recall the original stereo mix sounding like that and I've spent some time with the Chris Bellman-mastered/cut (AAA) vinyl...will have to refresh first and hopefully vote this week-end.

Formal announcement 3/28/24 but I couldn't wait....
View attachment 103913
Formal announcement 3/28/24 but I couldn't wait....
View attachment 103913
RE: Fleetwood Mac Rumors 2024 Reissue BluRay w Atmos mix from Rhino:
I have a carefully calibrated ATMOS 5.1.4 system. Bought the BluRay obviously for the ATMOS mix.
First impressions: The 5.1 mix is great !!
Kudos to the Engineers & Mastering mixers ! However, in comparison, the ATMOS mix is a huge disappointment !
Perhaps previous Atmos versions reviewed here sound different or better. The Atmos mix was done by Chris James. Yes Chris, I am calling you out ! Did you even listen to the 5.1 mix before you took on the Atmos mix? Maybe something terrible happened to the Atmos mix when the BluRay was authored? So maybe it is not your fault Chris. Audiophiles, (yes like me) have invested much time and money in Atmos and there are many good Atmos mixes out there. I happen to know because I have them. Rumors is an iconic historical piece of music, but this Atmos mix makes me wonder what happened. As I believe the 5.1 is the same as the original DVD-A, I suggest you save your money and buy the original DVD-A 5.1 mix.

Over 40% of votes score it 10/10 and over 83% of votes are 8/10 and higher:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...umours-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.35946/page-3
That doesn't necessarily reflect the Atmos mix. Could be bias towards being a fantastic album / great 5.1 mix? I agree with @Atmosphile that the Atmos mix is a huge disappointment. I've only listened to the streaming version but based on that I thought it was a peculiar release for Blu Ray considering there are much better choices out there...

RE: Fleetwood Mac Rumors 2024 Reissue BluRay w Atmos mix from Rhino:
I have a carefully calibrated ATMOS 5.1.4 system. Bought the BluRay obviously for the ATMOS mix.
First impressions: The 5.1 mix is great !!
Audiophiles, (yes like me) have invested much time and money in Atmos and there are many good Atmos mixes out there. I happen to know because I have them. Rumors is an iconic historical piece of music, but this Atmos mix makes me wonder what happened.
Audiophiles who have invested much time and money in Atmos would normally go 7.1.4 - the 2024 Atmos mix sounds great to me, the BluRay superior to the Apple Music Atmos (Spatial Audio) version. I find having the 2 side channels makes a difference in the surround presentation, and as much as I like the 5.1 mix I find I like the Atmos mix better. YMMV

Audiophiles who have invested much time and money in Atmos would normally go 7.1.4 - the 2024 Atmos mix sounds great to me, the BluRay superior to the Apple Music Atmos (Spatial Audio) version. I find having the 2 side channels makes a difference in the surround presentation, and as much as I like the 5.1 mix I find I like the Atmos mix better. YMMV
You consider every song in Atmos a great mix? That certainly wasn't my impression. Some songs are good, and some average at best. Certainly not a consistently "great" mix. There are many better mixes for sure, but not many better albums.

Well...I can, and have done 7.1.4. But I went to 5.1.4 for several reasons, mostly about speakers and the room.
Will I keep it 5.1.4? Not sure yet...just saying there may be reasons for going 5.1.4. ;)

You consider every song in Atmos a great mix? That certainly wasn't my impression. Some songs are good, and some average at best. Certainly not a consistently "great" mix. There are many better mixes for sure, but not many better albums.
No, certainly not! There are many mediocre Atmos mixes, and some truly bad ones.

I heard Rumours at Blackbird's Studio C (George Massenburg room) on their ATC 9.1.6 Atmos system, streamed from Apple Music. Later I bought the BluRay and played it on my 7.1.4 system, and I like it better on my system. I compared several songs from Apple Music to the BluRay, and feel the BluRay sounds superior to the streaming version.

I'm listening to it this morning and really like the mix. It's subtle in parts and more adventurous in others. It's likely influenced by the popularity of the stereo mix, in that many mixing engineers don't want to "go for it" on a release so widely known and memorized for the last 40 years.

I think we all need to keep in mind this is art. I don't think any of us would complain that Leonardo da Vinci used such a small color palette on the Mona Lisa. He used the colors that he believed worked best for his artistic vision. The same goes for an Atmos mix.

We may like a mix or hate a mix, but pointing fingers at engineers and calling them out for creating art we don't like, is a bit over the top.

That doesn't necessarily reflect the Atmos mix. Could be bias towards being a fantastic album / great 5.1 mix? I agree with @Atmosphile that the Atmos mix is a huge disappointment. I've only listened to the streaming version but based on that I thought it was a peculiar release for Blu Ray considering there are much better choices out there...

Surely an 8/10 or higher would be a peculiar score for a disc containing a mix that's a huge disappointment in a community where most already have the 5.1 mix in one form or another and are buying it for the new mix?

The existing 5.1 release is the 4th most voted title on the site with over 250 voters
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/fleetwood-mac-rumours-dvd-a-sacd-japan.3764/

I'm listening to it this morning and really like the mix. It's subtle in parts and more adventurous in others. It's likely influenced by the popularity of the stereo mix, in that many mixing engineers don't want to "go for it" on a release so widely known and memorized for the last 40 years.

I think we all need to keep in mind this is art. I don't think any of us would complain that Leonardo da Vinci used such a small color palette on the Mona Lisa. He used the colors that he believed worked best for his artistic vision. The same goes for an Atmos mix.

We may like a mix or hate a mix, but pointing fingers at engineers and calling them out for creating art we don't like, is a bit over the top.
Overall I agree. Thank you

Not every 'artist' creates great art. One of the things I value about QQ, is forum buddies alerting other forum buddies to a mix they consider to be disappointing. There must be loads of reasons why an audio engineer gets the surround mix gig beyond ability/proven track record. They come cheap. They're in with the record company. They're a loyal mate of the band...

I've got a 5.2.4 setup and my surrounds are more at the side than the back. Those are specifically for surround as they have dual tweeters and woofers separated an specific angles. I have listening parties every so often, and everyone is impressed with these and the setup.
I don't believe these would sound as good as rear surrounds.

I've got a 5.2.4 setup and my surrounds are more at the side than the back. Those are specifically for surround as they have dual tweeters and woofers separated an specific angles. I have listening parties every so often, and everyone is impressed with these and the setup.
I don't believe these would sound as good as rear surrounds.
These Focal Dome speakers, on the Dome Stands make good rear or side channels for Atmos, and they don't take up a lot of space.

https://www.focal.com/catalog/high-fidelity-speakers/home-cinema/dome-flax

Well...I can, and have done 7.1.4. But I went to 5.1.4 for several reasons, mostly about speakers and the room.
Will I keep it 5.1.4? Not sure yet...just saying there may be reasons for going 5.1.4. ;)
Agree, I have 5.1.4 mostly due to room limitations. But I am wired and have listened to 7.1.4. I have found that "most" ATMOS mixes for music (and especially movie/TV) make very little good use of the side channels. There are rare good exceptions.

Agree, I have 5.1.4 mostly due to room limitations. But I am wired and have listened to 7.1.4. I have found that "most" ATMOS mixes for music (and especially movie/TV) make very little good use of the side channels. There are rare good exceptions.
Side or Surround Back speakers? I disagree on the Side, or "back" speakers. Some Atmos discs have fair Surround Back but I find the side speakers usually have good content. JMHO. :)
With the 5.1.4 setup vs 7.1.4 it all gets rolled into the "sides" or "back", although I have my back speakers literally to the back 110-120*. Seems to work pretty good for this room.

Back