New Pink Floyd reissues possibly with surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I resemble that remark, Analogueghost! It IS my tenth time!

I think it's my seventh or eighth, which is mildly impressive when you consider that it came out nearly ten years before I was born. Glad to hear that the quad mix lives up to our hopes!

By the way, I was a victim of loose discs as well. Disc 2 (seems to be the most common one) had come loose and has some scratches. It plays so I'm not worried about it, but yeah, packaging for the discs themselves could have been better.

It came out the year I started in the Quad (hifi) business. Am I REALLY that old?

Disc 2 was bad in two that I opened. As they say, third time is the charm.

I swear the Parsons mix on the BD has a crisper high end than the 5.1 Guthrie. Am I imagining this?

Linda
Those Damn Clocks!

I think it's my seventh or eighth, which is mildly impressive when you consider that it came out nearly ten years before I was born. Glad to hear that the quad mix lives up to our hopes!

By the way, I was a victim of loose discs as well. Disc 2 (seems to be the most common one) had come loose and has some scratches. It plays so I'm not worried about it, but yeah, packaging for the discs themselves could have been better.

Had to open three of them before I found one that wasn't scratched. LESSON: BUY THIS AT BRICKS & MORTAR LOCATION.

Linda
:banana: Immersed

The packing from Amazon was excellent, very tightly packed and even double boxed. Everything was in place inside when I opened it, no issues at all. The first thing I did was take the bluray out of that stupid sleeve, wipe the fingerprints off that were unavoidable in getting it out, and put it in a jewel case. Other than that, I'm very impressed with the box and can't wait to get WYWH.

Linda, who let you open 3 boxes?

BB. I yanked out my BB Rewards, Credit cards and explained the reported problem. Thanks, QQ & OQG! It was 8:45PM, three other people in store. Since they were reserving one, I checked out at customer service. Before I paid, I explained that I WOULD be opening it before I left the counter and expected unscratched discs for $110. I 'd pay first. Agreed? Yes. After 30+ years in sales/mgt, I can firmly finesse.

BTW: BB is reportedly in financial trouble and hiring half as much staff this Holiday season.

Like you, Odys, I can't wait for WYWH. A new mix to add my UK SQ & US Q8. The 4.0 Blu-Ray is my bet for best mix.

Linda

The packing from Amazon was excellent, very tightly packed and even double boxed. Everything was in place inside when I opened it, no issues at all. The first thing I did was take the bluray out of that stupid sleeve, wipe the fingerprints off that were unavoidable in getting it out, and put it in a jewel case. Other than that, I'm very impressed with the box and can't wait to get WYWH.

Linda, who let you open 3 boxes?

The '72 early stereo mix has made me think of DSOTM in a new way. Some of the "extraneous" sounds are reminiscent of Spirit's Potatoland and Brian Wilson's Smile. More whimsical and trippy, but also more earthly. DSOTM always seemed like a techno album ahead of it's time. I know, nobody used the term techno in '73. Sounds left out of the released version make DSOTM more akin to a rock opera or a late 60's concept album. I realize it IS a concept album! The subtle differences in the '72 mix evoke the recent (then) past. The '73 Parsons 2 & 4ch mixes are more futuristic and reflect the optimism and technical advances of the moment. Yet, it's all the same music. I prefer the '73 mixes, but enjoy the '72 mix like those Beatles outtakes. Any engineer worth her/his salt will tell you subtleties matter.

Linda
Run, Rabbit Run

BTW: BB is reportedly in financial trouble and......this H*****y season.

Yea, I figured that out from their new return policy of requiring an ID to keep track of who is doing returns. Tighening up returns tends to be a pre-cursor to going out of business. Mervyns did it, Borders did it, Office Depot is too. These office stores with the insanely high prices just can't last much longer either.

Sure hope the Salt Lake store stays open. We don't have any place else to go for computer stuff. No Frys around here.

Fry's Concord, CA did not have the box as of yesterday, although eventually they're usually good to get some. They do have a "box" section. They had some of the single item PF re-masters CDs.

The DVD-A/SACD section is still going and hanging in there.

I got my immersion set!!!! at Wal-Mart of all places.......did not expect to see it there...good thing I didnt do the amazon route

got my 10% off too since I work there :)

wal mart (Canada) is selling them for $109.00, I got mine for $98.10

no WYWH yet (if the DSOTM sets don't sell out our store probably won't get them)

no advertisements at all for the Pink Floyd releases....

I got my immersion set!!!! at Wal-Mart of all places.......did not expect to see it there...good thing I didnt do the amazon route

got my 10% off too since I work there :)

wal mart (Canada) is selling them for $109.00, I got mine for $98.10....

I'm not sure why you consider this better than Amazon Canada's price of $92.33 with free shipping.

my immersion box was shipped on tues by amazon, got it weds afternoon. no sales tax, no shipping charge. packaging was excellent-double boxed. the music is awesome-thats what counts. could have done without the cards, marbles, scarf, etc. was disappointed that the booklet wasn't about how they made the music, what the songs were about, how they got some of the sounds, etc, etc. inside its mostly about the cover.
amazon's price decreased a $1.80 when i bought it-they credited my card that amount.
i don't have a blu ray player- so i'm willing to trade or sell the blu ray disc. tradewise-i'm looking for fleetwood mac-rumors, foreigner or foreigner 4 or carly simon -no secrets.

Yesterday, I finished perusing the accessories for the Immersion box. I had to check twice. There's a book with lyrics, photos and artwork. There's a tour book, but no "making of DSOTM book." There is a video documentary from '03. More insights in book form would have been welcome.

In spite of this, the box is the definitive version and a great value.

Regarding the title of the thread, let me go out on a limb: I'm guessing this box includes at least one surround mix. lol!!

Linda

my immersion box was shipped on tues by amazon, got it weds afternoon. no sales tax, no shipping charge. packaging was excellent-double boxed. the music is awesome-thats what counts. could have done without the cards, marbles, scarf, etc. was disappointed that the booklet wasn't about how they made the music, what the songs were about, how they got some of the sounds, etc, etc. inside its mostly about the cover.
amazon's price decreased a $1.80 when i bought it-they credited my card that amount.
i don't have a blu ray player- so i'm willing to trade or sell the blu ray disc. tradewise-i'm looking for fleetwood mac-rumors, foreigner or foreigner 4 or carly simon -no secrets.

Yesterday, I finished perusing the accessories for the Immersion box. I had to check twice. There's a book with lyrics, photos and artwork. There's a tour book, but no "making of DSOTM book." There is a video documentary from '03. More insights in book form would have been welcome.

In spite of this, the box is the definitive version and a great value.

Regarding the title of the thread, let me go out on a limb: I'm guessing this box includes at least one surround mix. lol!!

Linda

there is the 2003 james guthrie 5.1 surround mix in 640 and 480 resolution , ditto for the 1973? alan parsons quad mixes.
on both the dvd audio disc and the blu ray disc

Although somewhat off-topic for this forum, Target has 5 of the CD titles. $10 each for the singles and I think the Wall was $15. Buy 2 get a $5 gift card. And the CDs have CD Text, which must be a first for EMI. I bought Division Bell and Animals. The other 3 are the ones you get with the Immersion sets.

update: This is the first time I've heard either of these two albums. Don't see the attraction to Animals, unless you like the cow sound effects or something. On the other hand Division Bell is fairly good.

I'm not sure why you consider this better than Amazon Canada's price of $92.33 with free shipping.

didn't realize this is the current amazon price.......when checked a month or so back it was definitely $100+

Back