HiRez Poll Newman, Randy - GOOD OLD BOYS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Randy Newman - GOOD OLD BOYS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this reissue of the classic Randy Newman album "Good Old Boys".
This Blu-Ray audio disc is part of Rhino's Quadio series and the disc features the first release of the original Quadraphonic mix for the first time since the 1970s!

(y):)(n)

RandyNewman_GoodOldBoys_Quadio.png

30% SURROUND MIX - 30%
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 30%
30% CONTENT - 30%
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 10%

Total Vote - 10. I have a new found appreciation for Randy Newman. This is the first time I've owned a physical copy of his music--and now realize what I've been missing. The song "Rednecks" where Newman addresses institutional racism in the Deep South and the hypocrisy of the Northern response is still relevant. But the biggest suprise for me came from "Every Man A King". I had heard it before...somewhere. It is written by the corrupt Louisiana politician Hewy "The Kingfish" Long. IMHO, the album is a masterpiece. Now in 192/24 resolution, the 4.0 mix sounds fresh and amazing.

IMO, Randy Newman is an AMERICAN ICON. While his satirical, biting lyrics are an endemic contribution to his success, Randy is also a prolific film composer. GOOD OLD BOYS via Rhino's superb 192/24 BD~A preserves all these classic elements. One can only hope that oneday NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN will be released in a high res format [Dutton Vocalion...are you listening] to fortify Newman's status as the classic crooner he has always been!

And NOW:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22308-good-old-boys/

This new Quadio sounds absolutely superb & gets a 10 from me!! Everything about this release is just perfect; not only does it sound incredible but it's a great quad mix and the music is just wonderful.

I LOVE Randy Newman, ...this album has always been one of my favorites and to hear it as it is now as a Quadio, it is just amazing.

I've listened to the album twice today and I have a feeling it will receive many, many more plays in the coming months.
I REALLY hope that "Sail Away" will be released as a quadio as well, ...I love that album just as much as this one.

An easy 10 from me. A wonderful album. The sound is divine.

I listened right through then tried keying in track numbers to skip directly to whichever track took my fancy. Something really weird happened when I tried to play track 9. Using an Oppo 205. Is it just me?

Ya gotta be in the mood for the sarcastic Randy Newman stuff, but if you are, this album is at the top of the list. I also have a soft spot for mixes that put strings in the back and most everything else up front. A 10 for me.

This is a concept album that satirizes deep south sensibilities in the pre civil rights days. How do you think this album might be received if it were released in 2024?

Can't complain about the mix here. Strings and other embellishments are nicely deployed in the rear channels to great effect. The transfer sounds rich and dynamic.

And what a collection of songs. Some real classic here. "Guilty" has been covered by everyone from The Blues Brothers to Bonnie Raitt. "Louisiana 1927" is another standard. Some songwriters are known for their lyrical prowess (Dylan, Springsteen, Young) while others are known for their melodic and harmonic gifts (McCartney, Joel). Randy is one of those rare songwriters who excels at both. Randy's full range is on display here from the biting social commentary of "Rednecks", to the somber "Guilty", the touching "Marie" and humorous "A Wedding in Cherokee County". Only Randy would write about a wedding night with:

Today we will be married
And all the freaks that she knows will be there
And all the people from the village will be there
To congratulate us
I will carry her across the threshold
I will make dim the light
I will attempt to spend my love within her
Though I'll try with all my might
She'll laugh at my mighty sword
She'll laugh at my mighty sword
Why must everybody laugh at my mighty sword?
Lord, help me if you will
Maybe we're both crazy, I don't know
Maybe that's why I love her so

:love:

One of the easiest 10s I've ever given. Beautiful transfer of a nice discrete 70's quad mix by one of the world's greatest songwriters at his artistic peak.

Randy and Joni were my top two wishes for quads from the Warner vaults. So all I need now is Sail Away and I will be a very happy boy.

Thank you @ForagingRhino and everyone at Rhino for making this series happen!

:51QQ

Wanna peek behind the curtain on this one?
So when transferring the quad master, the track "Kingfish" had severe dropouts for about the first minute. It was of a tape stock that had sticky shed, unlike the rest of the master. Odd. Baking it did not help. Had to have the first minute of the track remixed to quad and edited into the master digitally.
By Bruce Botnick!
He did a great job of matching the original mix. Thanks Bruce!

So when transferring the quad master, the track "Kingfish" had severe dropouts for about the first minute. It was of a tape stock that had sticky shed, unlike the rest of the master. Odd. Baking it did not help. Had to have the first minute of the track remixed to quad and edited into the master digitally.
By Bruce Botnick!
My goodness - one would never know, from listening to the track! Excellent work!

By Bruce Botnick!

I noticed this when I was (re)mastering this album to suit my own tastes but didn't want to mention it for fear of seeming like I was nitpicking on what overall is a very good sounding release. Bruce did a good job of matching the overall tonality and quad soundfield; the only giveaway is that there's a slight loss in treble response (between 0:47 and 0:49) as the new mix crossfades into the original one.

I think this kind of thing really illustrates the unique nexus between music business and cultural preservation that releases like this serve, so kudos to both yourself and Mr. Botnick for making it happen. Sort of like the work done by fine art restoration experts, who meticulously remove old, yellowed varnish, and poor-quality overpainting from works by classical masters and then restore them using period-accurate pigments and new varnish (so they're protected and preserved for decades and centuries ahead) this kind of work ensures that the quad mix will remain in existence for as long as the capability to play music digitally exists.

There are no guarantees in life, and as we've seen over the years despite the best (or somtimes, not the best) efforts of labels, countless tape assets have been lost to theft, flood, fire and sticky-shed syndrome. Every quad master tape sitting in a vault somewhere (often right next to its own safety copy, which for quad mixes that were only released in one territory is the only backup of the master) that hasn't been reissued - or at the very least digitally archived - presents the chance of one of these calamities inadvertently befalling it. As someone with a background in library management and data archiving I've lived by the 3-2-1 data preservation mantra (3 copies of your data across at least 2 different types of media with 1 copy off-site) for more than 20 years so it's incredibly gratifying (and I'll include my work with D-V here) when another one of these mixes is issued on a physical digital disc, because the simple act of producing one of these products means there are at now at the minimum 3 different copies of the data on two different kinds of media (original master tape, raw transfer in the mastering DAW, and the final consumer product on disc) and with the consumer product spread to the four corners of the earth the odds of all of them being destroyed in a single catastrophe are approaching nil.

Another interesting footnote about this quad mix that I noticed in mastering it (which necessitates a lot of forensic headphone listening) is that folded down to stereo, the quad mix is 100% identical (with the exception of the repaired Kingfish intro for obvious reasons) to the stereo mix. I verified this as well using CurveEQ, a software VST plugin that allows you to match the EQ profiles of two different recordings. This means that the stereo mix is either a fold-down of the quad, or that the two mixes were put to tape using a console with computer mix automation (which is very early in the game for a 1974 album) with the only changes made for the quad mix were that some elements being pushed to the rear speakers, as none of the left-right placements were altered.

RCA pursued this approach of making the quad mix the "only" mix (and then either releasing it as a single-inventory CD-4 or creating stereo fold-downs from it) but quickly gave up on it because their single-inventory quads were being consigned to the quad bins of record stores instead of being stocked with the 'regular' stereo releases, and I think it's a shame because only doing one mix (it's akin to the philosophy behind Atmos these days) for everyone would've gone a long way to making quad viable back then, especially with the small numbers of product it was moving. At least in terms of WEA quad mixes that have been reissued digitally Good Old Boys is unique in this regard (quad fold-down identical to stereo) as all of the other ones range from slightly to very different.

It's also worth noting (for me anyway) that this disc is the best-sounding one from a tonality perspective to come out of the Quadio series. There are lots of other ones with with more whizz-bang 'look at me' effects and pans, but none of them is as close to the sound of the original LP (and late '80s/early '90s first-pressing US CD, which was my basis for comparison) as this one.

Back