Nightwish - Yesterwynde (CD + Atmos Blu-ray) Sept. 20 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After three listens to the stereo mix on Tidal, and then one to the Atmos mix on Apple Music, I've decided I've like both the music and the mix enough to purchase de CD/Blu-ray edition.

I was surprised by the huge discrepancy in opinions about the Atmos mix that can be read over here, and now I'm even more surprised after having listened to it myself. Frankly, on my system, it sounds pretty damn good. Extensive use of all channels to great effect, and it finally does Floor's vocals justice. Inexplicably, her voice is so low in the stereo mix that it sounds totally buried by the instruments. In the Atmos mix, her lead vocals are isolated in the center channel, and they sound powerful and commanding, as they should! I listened to the whole album (which is long!) from start to finish at very high volume without aural fatigue. Also, the rhythm section sounds powerful enough to me. There's nothing about the stereo mix that sounds better than in Atmos, to these ears at least. And it can only sound better in lossless when I get the blu-ray.
And after a few listens I still maintain my rating - 6. Following Madscot's advice I turned up the volume - back by 3dB, and top by 5dB. And only then is listening to the Atmos mix more enjoyable. However, I still think that this mix could have been made more creatively, especially in the case of orchestration. Overall, I like the music itself and I don't regret buying this edition.

And after a few listens I still maintain my rating - 6. Following Madscot's advice I turned up the volume - back by 3dB, and top by 5dB. And only then is listening to the Atmos mix more enjoyable. However, I still think that this mix could have been made more creatively, especially in the case of orchestration. Overall, I like the music itself and I don't regret buying this edition.

Interesting. I never felt the need to boost any channel on my system. In fact, something I did (I do this often when I'm testing multichannel mixes) was muting the front channels to hear better how much sound the other speakers were outputting. The answer was: plenty! I think the front stage would have been drowned if I had turned up the volume of the other channels. The discrete elements that came from the side and rear speakers sounded at the right level to me (my speakers are calibrated to output the exact same SPL at the main listening position). Maybe there was room for more volume in the heights, although I thought it sounded immersive enough.

I do agree that the mix could have been more creative/bold at some specific instances, but for most of the time it truly sounded excellent to me. Well worth a 9 or at least a very strong 8, if I had to vote. I almost never vote 10 and I consider 9 to be very high praise for a mix.

Looking forward to getting the blu-ray, but logically I assume it can only be better.

Back