OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I don't recall reading that thread before. The author emaidel used to sell Lafayette and so might be a bit biased, then again he puts down a lot of what Lafayette was selling back then. Sadly he hasn't posted since 2015, his posts are rather interesting! Anyway I have no doubt that the Composer produced a nice surround effect but to say that it was better than Sansui is very unlikely.

The early Sansui decoders were nothing special even with thier "phase modulation" circuitry however Vario Matrix is a whole different story!

So checking the schematic of the SQ-W the decoder functions are as follows;

Position 1 (Stereo) the input feeds through to the front and rear outputs, the rear outputs are reduced in level by about 7db.

Position 2 (Composer A) the input feeds the front (the same a pos 1), the rear outputs come off of a differential amplifier and feed the rear outputs. So it's an active version of Dynaquad.

Position 3 (Composer B) The outputs come out of the SQ logic circuit with the logic turned off. So it is just the "basic" version of SQ.

Position 4 (SQ) The outputs come from the logic circuit with the logic turned on the rear outputs attenuated a bit via a 47K resistor.

Position 5 (Discrete) The 4ch inputs pass through to the outputs attenuated by level matching resistors.

So no actual RM decoder is used and no form of logic enhancement but for full logic SQ.

`
Frustrating, just to hear the difference I'm looking to buy a qrx-6001 from somebody on my local marketplace. So it's assumed that QS should then be an upgrade to the lafayette's RM... 🤷🏻 I ran a lot of stuff through that RM, especially non quadrophonic albums from a CD player and records sound very much like they were made in quadraphonic going through it too! I'm curious what happens when you play regular stereo through the QS from a Sansui Is there any kind of magic like when I run regular stereo through RM on the Lafayette?

Frustrating, just to hear the difference I'm looking to buy a qrx-6001 from somebody on my local marketplace. So it's assumed that QS should then be an upgrade to the lafayette's RM... 🤷🏻 I ran a lot of stuff through that RM, especially non quadrophonic albums from a CD player and records sound very much like they were made in quadraphonic going through it too! I'm curious what happens when you play regular stereo through the QS from a Sansui Is there any kind of magic like when I run regular stereo through RM on the Lafayette?
There will be even greater magic! The Sansui has Surround and Hall modes in addition to QS. Surround stretches the stereo around the room 270°, the effect allows you to notice details that tend to be buried when listening via only two speakers. The Hall mode keeps the stereo upfront while extracting ambience from the rear. The QS (RM) mode is in between those two extremes. Results are often hard to distinguish from discrete.

Back