Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day there was an opinion that espoused if all else is equal, buy the heavier component, especially when it came to power amplifiers. More killer, less filler I guess. A lot of things have changed since then. More use of plastics and switching power supplies are maybe the biggest changes.
Bob Carver is the disruptor here. I have a Carver amp that is 520 watts per channel and only weighes about 25 pounds.

I have 3 Oppo's and a Sony in the audio room. The Sony I bought as a backup for the 103 for ripping as it was dirt cheap on EvilBay. The 3 Oppo's will play burned DVDA or SACD. The 103 is jailbroke, which is nice because it will play .iso off the network mostly when I want to see the images on the DVDA discs instead of playing in Foobar.

But I keep them plugged in and periodically use them to "keep them going". I had one that the disc drawer would not open until it had been plugged in a day or so but works fine now. So, leaving them in a box in the closet I'm thinking might not be a viable strategy? I have no clue but the argument is some components like to see some power, sort of like batteries or they degrade faster.

When I finally sit down in the evening for music listening, I like to be able to catch up on emails, QQ, etc so I mostly use software players like Jriver and PowerDVD.

So I've decided I'm not buying any more disc players. However if the Oppo 103 quits and I can get it repaired, I will send it off to the good folks in Menlo Park.
I mean I hope I'm still around a few years, but I don't see buying any more at this point.

No it doesn't...

Panasonic gave me an DMP-BD84P-K to test years ago. It can however play the CD layer of 'store bought' SACD's and the DVD-V segments of 'store bought' DVD-Audio discs. Plus it didn't offer any networking capabilities!
Sorry, you guys may be right...I will confirm tonight.

But I keep them plugged in and periodically use them to "keep them going". I had one that the disc drawer would not open until it had been plugged in a day or so but works fine now. So, leaving them in a box in the closet I'm thinking might not be a viable strategy? I have no clue but the argument is some components like to see some power, sort of like batteries or they degrade faster.
They get arthritic in their old age, just like us.
Use it or loose it, so the saying goes. LOL

Right now I've got 4 BD players sitting around, 2 Sony's and 2 Sammy's, not counting the 2 transports in my computer.
I'm hoping they'll last with me till the last round-up. ;)

There might be some truth (from a technical standpoint) to this, it would depend entirely on the specific ROM (memory) being used to store the player's operating system. In theory these hardware memory chips should hold their data for a very long time before degradation, but thinking along the lines of your post I wonder if powering the spare device every few years helps to 're-energize' the ROM and ensure the written data is retained. I know there's specific SSD memory types (QLC iirc) that require periodic power to run their data integrity checks and resolve issues with corrupt data lost over time as the written bits weaken.

I know we have some electrical engineer level enthusiast types on the forum that might be able to shed some light on this. For those of us with spare units in the closet this could prove to be a painful misstep if we don't power them on for a decade or more, if such issues are possible.

I guess all the missing media at BestBuy, WalMart, etc means nothing?
A friend just had his Blu-ray player die and bought a new one at Best Buy, where he was told that once they run out of their stock they won't even be selling the hardware.

On the other hand, there are rumblings out there that physical media (at least for video) sales are rising again because the intelligent people are getting fed up with the scummy streamers. I think it's mainly because the streamers are arrogantly thinking they have a captive market and can raise the prices as much as they want. Though for my part, I EFFING HATE that streamers won't let me JUST WATCH THE DAMNED THING FROM BEGINNING TO END without putting a bunch of extraneous crap on the screen and violently bailing the instant it's almost close to nearly being over. Die. DIE!!!

Though Sony, always gleefully willing to jump at the opportunity to screw things up, has at least some discs out there that now interrupt the end with crap on the screen asking if you want to go back the menu. Another reason to rip(-off) discs. May their children be sterile.

A friend just had his Blu-ray player die and bought a new one at Best Buy, where he was told that once they run out of their stock they won't even be selling the hardware.
I don't think I'd believe that, sounds more like a sales line, "better get em while you can!, etc".
There's no doubt that the market is rapidly shrinking for both players and media but I believe it will be quite some time before they disappear completely. At least for now, the "high performance" market like us here want our BD players for lossless Atmos playback and high quality video. But who knows for how long our sales $ will provide enough continued support for either the media or hardware.
Like it or hate it, time marches on and things continue to change. :mad:

1. What death? Physical media is not ceasing to be released. There's been FUD circulating over the last several months regarding a Sony announcement, but that had to do with CD-R, DVD-R, and BD-R *burnable* media, not physical music and movie releases.

2. This may hold true for rank-and-file players, but tends not to be the case for audiophile and/or higher-end devices. If there is indeed a phaseout, that will trigger higher prices on the secondary market, not lower (See Oppo).
I've seen statements about the opposite, sales of DVD and Blu Ray are going up. Streaming services were initially very cheap and drove people away from physical optical media. But the services have now all put their prices up so much, especially if you want 4K and no adverts, that physical optical media for films is price attractive again. Plus people are finding out that content comes and goes on streaming services so you can't always watch it again, whereas you can with physical media.

There might be some truth (from a technical standpoint) to this, it would depend entirely on the specific ROM (memory) being used to store the player's operating system. In theory these hardware memory chips should hold their data for a very long time before degradation, but thinking along the lines of your post I wonder if powering the spare device every few years helps to 're-energize' the ROM and ensure the written data is retained. I know there's specific SSD memory types (QLC iirc) that require periodic power to run their data integrity checks and resolve issues with corrupt data lost over time as the written bits weaken.

I know we have some electrical engineer level enthusiast types on the forum that might be able to shed some light on this. For those of us with spare units in the closet this could prove to be a painful misstep if we don't power them on for a decade or more, if such issues are possible.
Electrolytic capacitors also degrade faster when never powered.

I don't think I'd believe that, sounds more like a sales line, "better get em while you can!, etc".
There's no doubt that the market is rapidly shrinking for both players and media but I believe it will be quite some time before they disappear completely. At least for now, the "high performance" market like us here want our BD players for lossless Atmos playback and high quality video. But who knows for how long our sales $ will provide enough continued support for either the media or hardware.
Like it or hate it, time marches on and things continue to change. :mad:
I agree. Select Best Buy stores have Magnolia outlets in them that concentrate on upper end equipment (although I haven’t been to a BB in the last couple years so maybe not). If the Magnolia outlets still exist then they will have to sell hardware.
Regardless, it’s hard to worry too much with the internet. I always prefer B&M stores when buying equipment ( mainly because I’m old) but if that’s the way it goes I’ll manage.

I agree. Select Best Buy stores have Magnolia outlets in them that concentrate on upper end equipment (although I haven’t been to a BB in the last couple years so maybe not). If the Magnolia outlets still exist then they will have to sell hardware.
I was in Best Buy not long ago and it seems that Magnolia is no more. They have "Premium" audio/video. From what I can gather from the web, each store may have different levels of service. It seems they have Premium Home Theater or Premium Design Center.

They get arthritic in their old age, just like us.
Use it or loose it, so the saying goes. LOL

Right now I've got 4 BD players sitting around, 2 Sony's and 2 Sammy's, not counting the 2 transports in my computer.
I'm hoping they'll last with me till the last round-up. ;)
My Oppo 105 is my primary source, and if it dies, so will I. I hope the factory support team lasts longer than the deck.

for your information ..
I also tried to find an equivalent:
Tested a Giec 4300 (5.1 analog out) - NO, can't test because can't read chinese. After struggeling a couple of weeks (why I'm not familar with chinese, advertisement was in english and german) I got a part of my money back.
Giec 5300 (5.1 digital out - I would need a HDMI to 5.1 analog): be careful to buy the international version and if you're not familiar with chinese ask where to set it to english before !!

Bought also a Changdong CF-6 5.1 amplifier with 5.1 analog in: but it makes his own 5.1 and put it over the 5.1 which I gave him. Test: put different music to the rear, center and sub channels and I hear also the front channels on rear.
So I`m still using my refreshed old JVC with an old Dune HD max and hear 4ch as 4ch, 5.0 as 5.0 and 5.1 as 5.1. (added a small center amp and a small sub amp)

Back