Poll: What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

• Total voters
Anyway, more recent Steven Wilson Atmos mixes increasingly use Wides.
Yes, pretty much all the recent SW Atmos mixes (including Who's Next, XTC's The Big Express, and Rick Wright's Wet Dream) engage the wide speakers almost exclusively for dry lead vocal - so he's got the vocal on an object positioned between the center speaker and sides.

Yes, pretty much all the recent SW Atmos mixes (including Who's Next, XTC's The Big Express, and Rick Wright's Wet Dream) engage the wide speakers almost exclusively for dry lead vocal - so he's got the vocal on an object positioned between the center speaker and sides.
In concept, that sounds... Awkward, to me. I guess I'd have to hear it in person to judge it fairly.

In concept, that sounds... Awkward, to me. I guess I'd have to hear it in person to judge it fairly.
I think it sounds really good - you can still focus on the vocal in the center channel, but there's a greater sense of depth and cohesion. It's a good way to get around that 'singer trapped in a box' disjointed effect that some 5.1 mixes with center-isolated vocals have (The Allman Bros' Idlewild South and ELP's Trilogy are examples of that for me). Plus, it's been standard practice for years (dating back even to Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mixes from the early-2000s) to leave a bit of dry vocal sound in the back.

After making a major life altering move and spending several months changing lifestyles I finally have my HT all setup. Although my room is not as large as the last one it seems to work well and all sound really good. My room is 13.5w x 17' and houses a 7.2.2 Klipsch Atmos setup, small klipsch dub and a Monlith 12" sub. I have attached some pics. As far as my life altering move goes we bought a house on the beach in Panama 🇵🇦 😎. Oh here is a short video too from my patio. Spoiled.... yes!
20231104_140157.jpg

Attachments

• 20231104_140225_001.jpg
    20231104_140225_001.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_140251.jpg
    20231104_140251.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_140308.jpg
    20231104_140308.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_140316.jpg
    20231104_140316.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230809_190004.mp4
    44.1 MB
This a custom center I built. It utilizes 2 10" Klipsch Cerematalic woofers, K52 mid and a K77 tweeter. Custom 3 octave crossover and dual 4" rear ports. Beast comes in around 90lbs.
Awesome, where there's a will, there's a way.
I was curious as to what was folding in with the La Scala's and Heresys (I think)
I owned a pair of La Scala's for 32 years at my place in Chicago, incredible speakers.
Thanks for the info.

What your seeing are the bottom grills I added. Between the top and bottom grills I think they look pretty cool. The Heresy's are original cane grills. I still need to refinish them.

Still a work in progress.

Are these spaces ever NOT a work in progress? ;)

Out of curiosity what speakers are those? At first glance I thought B&W because of the pod on top, but it doesn't look like a model of theirs I'm familiar with.

Back