Porcupine Tree's "Fear Of A Blank Planet" is Coming - Again, Deluxe Box Set w Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the box set thing, I really do. The Artists deserve the money and if there's a market for it, so-be-it. But then you have people like me who buy Blu-ray's, rip them to my server, and throw the rest of the crap in a box in my closet never to be seen again. I would think there are more people like me out there that would justify bigger artists like SW to start using IAA as a distribution platform. I guess piracy is the concern? Making people buy a bluray at least provides a hurdle - is that the thought? I'd be happy to pay just as much for a digital download as what the typical stand-alone bluray Atmos mix costs ($20-50), have instant delivery and not have to deal with ripping. As much as I'd like to hear the remastered 5.1 of FOABP - even if it were Atmos - I have a mental block paying $120+ for it. Take my $50 and let me download it! I digress.

I get the box set thing, I really do. The Artists deserve the money and if there's a market for it, so-be-it. But then you have people like me who buy Blu-ray's, rip them to my server, and throw the rest of the crap in a box in my closet never to be seen again. I would think there are more people like me out there that would justify bigger artists like SW to start using IAA as a distribution platform. I guess piracy is the concern? Making people buy a bluray at least provides a hurdle - is that the thought? I'd be happy to pay just as much for a digital download as what the typical stand-alone bluray Atmos mix costs ($20-50), have instant delivery and not have to deal with ripping. As much as I'd like to hear the remastered 5.1 of FOABP - even if it were Atmos - I have a mental block paying $120+ for it. Take my $50 and let me download it! I digress.
There are also people still in this world, who loves the physical thing and holding the whole in their hands, reading the linernotes, smells the paper, love the artwork etc, and total not interested in downloading or listen via streaming platforms. I am one of them

There are also people still in this world, who loves the physical thing and holding the whole in their hands, reading the linernotes, smells the paper, love the artwork etc, and total not interested in downloading or listen via streaming platforms. I am one of them

I am one of them, too, and I only download/stream when there's really no other option to hear the mix at all, but I guess it would be possible to release both formats and keep everyone happy? Those of us who love the physical release would still buy it.

I must admit though, it seems odd to me that anyone who buys one of these boxsets won't at least have a quick look at the pictures and liner notes from time to time? I can't imagine it not being at least moderately interesting for anyone who loves the music 🤷‍♂️ These artbooks are gorgeous IMO.

Last edited:
Back