Q&A: Brad Leigh on remixing Billy Joel's classic catalog in Dolby Atmos (IAA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
This just popped up on Brad Leigh's Facebook page. Looks like he's got more Billy Joel Atmos mixes on the way.
I had the chance to interview Brad a few weeks ago, the article just went live:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/qa-...g-billy-joels-classic-catalog-in-dolby-atmos/
Even though these BJ titles seem to have gotten a mixed reception around these parts, it's interesting to hear him thoughtfully detail his approach and explain some of the pitfalls that come with working in Atmos. Of the seven albums, I thought Turnstiles and Glass Houses turned out the best.

I only wish you could have asked him about the Atmos Italian Restaurant. There’s something amiss in the middle part to my ears like all the tracks aren’t quite synced up properly.
He actually didn't mix The Stranger in Atmos, that was Brian Ruggles (I think the piece mentions this?). But I agree it sounds off.

Very interesting interview , Jonathan , and somewhat revealing for us quad or surround-o-philes.

Would love to have seen that Panasonic Encoder at A&R, specifically for quad .
I'm guessing it was for CD-4 encoding but I could be wrong.

Interesting that Brad Leigh still thinks quad is the better way to go , rather than 5.1 or Atmos. I suppose it has something to do with ease of operation when mixing from multiple tracks..16 and 24. And as he alluded to, 4 channels of sound , sound great on big speakers.
Makes me wonder how many quad recordings he might have been involved with ? I know Phil Ramone has a credit or more on those Project 3 Quads.

I kinda like the fact he enjoys panning objects in surround sound, good on Brad.
Now hopefully we can eventually get some of his surround wonders of "Billy Joel" on physical disc's.

Thanks for this wonderful interview,

-fizzy

Great interview - fascinating. Thanks for the link.
I’m not a fan as such, but having committed to the show on Friday I’m listening to a lot of his stuff and most of it is new to me.
I’m disappointed to see that there is some ‘anti centre channel vocal’ feeling in the industry as those have been my favourites to date.

Another excellent piece, Jonathan. I also found it interesting (as @fizzywiggs41 noted above) that Brad considers quad to be the best immersive format. I've found some Atmos mixes disappointing compared to the same albums in quad upmixed with Auro 3D or Dolby Surround.

Another interesting item is Brad's discussion about using the center channel speaker, and how Atmos vocals can come across as recessed when listening with headphones.

Agree - really useful insights.
My conclusion being that Atmos mixes are being “compromised” to suit headphone users rather than those with centre channel set ups ?!

Steven Wilson continues to put vocals in the center channel on his Atmos mixes, and the balance seems fine in binaural to me.

Also - interestingly enough, in Brad's Atmos mix of "You May Be Right" from Glass Houses the lead vocal is in the phantom center and the harmonies (i.e. "...find someone to satisfy you") are solo'd in the center. Quite interesting to hear in isolation.

Giving it a listen now - yes I see what you mean.

Also like the separation on Rock’n’Roll. Response vocals firmly in the rears and nice clear handclaps and backing vocals in the centre channel.

Steven Wilson continues to put vocals in the center channel on his Atmos mixes, and the balance seems fine in binaural to me.

Also - interestingly enough, in Brad's Atmos mix of "You May Be Right" from Glass Houses the lead vocal is in the phantom center and the harmonies (i.e. "...find someone to satisfy you") are solo'd in the center. Quite interesting to hear in isolation.
I'm not sure why the use of the center speaker (as opposed to the fronts) would make any difference in a binaural mix. 🤔

Wouldn't it just be folded into the front left and right?

The use of the center speaker over the fronts (assuming everything is calibrated correctly) makes a difference when you are to the left or right of the center plane. That fundamentally isn't an aspect when listening with headphones.

Last edited:
Good point. We're told that Atmos is clever enough to cope with whatever configuration we force it through.
Maybe there is a difference in how an 'automatically folded down' vocal sounds versus something that is 'deliberately mixed' into left and right channels. (Which would make Atmos slightly less clever !).
Maybe some folk just prefer it, but to me centre channel vocals have been a big part of the surround 'wow-factor'.
Fascinating stuff all the same...

I'm not sure why the use of the center speaker (as opposed to the fronts) would make any difference in a binaural mix. 🤔

Wouldn't it just be folded into the front left and right?

The use of the center speaker over the fronts (assuming everything is calibrated correctly) makes a difference when you are to the left or right of the center plane. That fundamentally isn't an aspect when listening with headphones.
i don't know why it's bad practice in the context of Atmos specifically but with 5.1 when you shut off the Centre channel any vocals mixed in the Centre get downmixed into the Front L&R and the output level effectively doubles in the process (iirc i first encountered the phenomenon on the Michael McDonald "Motown" DVD-A and nearly fell off my chair when his vocals got noticeably louder) 🤷🏻‍♀️

Wow!!! I have got to read these posts more often. I missed this one until this morning. I have played the snot out of Glass Houses. Maybe my #2 more played album of all time. Liking the streaming mix right now. Started with Leyna. Liking the mix - really wanting a blu ray set. Will have to compare with the quads of Piano Man, Streetlife and Turnstiles. As well as the 5.1s of Stranger and 52nd St, which is near reference quality at points.

Back