Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now back to Rhino Quads , which is what this thread is all about.

Steve ? (@ForagingRhino )

-something begging for a clarification, at least on my part , did you , or have you , come across any unfinished quad masters ?
I mean some tapes that may have had only 1 or more quadraphonic songs mixed ?
Or even some artist's tapes.... whereby a bonus quad track is included ?

Anything that's akin to the Jethro Tull quads for example . Whereby Songs From The Wood , had only 4 tracks mixed in quad , and War Child quad master had 2 bonus tracks (in quad).

Or...the masters (perhaps some) could have been sold. I believe there are at least a couple of mentions on qq regarding this occurrence whereby master tapes left ABC and were sold rather willy nilly to Japanese buyers .(or at least some were).
And by willy nilly I mean incomplete, as would seem to be the case with the 2 missing songs from Steely Dan Aja.
She (Croce's widow) may only have 2 channel masters .Stereo or ?
Now if they are the QS Encoded 2 Channel masters , then she most certainly has the primary quads , sans 4 channel discreet.

Of course this is highly speculative.
Croce’s masters left ABC when Cashman & West took them to their “Lifesong” label in 1975. It’s possible, of course, that the quads were forgotten about and stayed at ABC. It’s also possible they stayed with Cashman & West after Ingrid finally got control of them in 1982 after fighting with them in court for years.

I don’t know where the story comes from that she’s been asked and has specifically said “no”, but if that’s true, she apparently didn’t say “I don’t have them”, so my presumption would be that she has them or at least knows where they are.

My speculation is that she’s probably never heard the quad versions. And neither did Jim as they were all apparently made after his death. So her reasoning for not wanting them released again may be as simple as “Jim never approved these mixes”. Now with the advent of Atmos maybe she’s eased up a bit on this. And, now that she’s around 80, could be that AJ has more say about the family business/legacy.

-something begging for a clarification, at least on my part , did you , or have you , come across any unfinished quad masters ?

Anything that's akin to the Jethro Tull quads for example . Whereby Songs From The Wood , had only 4 tracks mixed in quad , and War Child quad master had 2 bonus tracks (in quad).
I apologize on behalf of all of us who have derailed this thread with so much Croce talk. It doesn’t belong here. Perhaps some enterprising young moderator would like to gather up all the posts and put them in their own thread? It does seem to be a topic that comes up quite a bit.

Sure.

So given that there are some whereas only an incomplete quad is present...is there a good chance that someone the likes of Bruce Botnick can finish the album's complete quad mix ?
Is this scenario being considered for any new quadio product ? or are there too few to bother ?
Probably not. The likelihood of a release recouping the expense to produce it is extremely small. Unless of course it was a sure-fire title that the artist wanted to bring to completion. Even smaller likelihood.

Out of fantasyland, and back to realty for a few minutes.

I think I could handle a clue or two. Like: how about the main color for each of the album jackets for these new upcoming amazingly thrilling Quadio bundled titles? Or maybe the spines photographed.... unless that is useless and will only provide more frustration than real clues?

Last edited:
Probably not. The likelihood of a release recouping the expense to produce it is extremely small. Unless of course it was a sure-fire title that the artist wanted to bring to completion. Even smaller likelihood.

How about a Quadio titled "Some quad mixes by acts with WMG" which would contain the existing, finished quad song mixes for partially competed quad albums (maybe 20 to 25 songs from several different acts on one Quadio)?

Kirk Bayne

In fact why not an early Rod Stewart box set?
Say the first four solo lps.
I know they'd have to be newly mixed for surround but Rhino did a Joni box set and she has what 10 million world wide record sales?
Sir Rod absolutely crushes that with 120 million plus world wide record sales
Seems to be an artist that would generate the ROI needed

Ok, thanks , Steve . So I'm going to hope for the "Unless Of course " scenario.

And as mentioned previously , Rhino might try a Special Quadio Compilation, for the 1 to 3 track quad album incompletes, that can not be tacked on to any future releases.
Anyways it's just a suggestion , for consideration.

In fact why not an early Rod Stewart box set?
Say the first four solo lps.
I know they'd have to be newly mixed for surround but Rhino did a Joni box set and she has what 10 million world wide record sales?
Sir Rod absolutely crushes that with 120 million plus world wide record sales
Seems to be an artist that would generate the ROI needed
The first four solo LPs are on the Mercury label, which is owned by UMG.

This is not directed at anyone or any specific comment.

The reality is that these quadio releases are sitting on a shelf almost ready to go. They are low hanging fruit that can be plucked, shined up, and put out to market with very little up front investment. Acquiring the rights, having to take the original masters and create something new from them requires a lot more up front investment.

I have no idea what the profit margin per disc is or how many quadio discs are being sold, but I'd assume it relatively low given that most physical disc sales are low across the board. The point being, that if the up front costs are too high then the profit margin shrinks even more, and no company is going to go through the exercise if they aren't going to have a worthwhile return.

The people that green light projects like this aren't doing it to make us happy, they are doing it to turn a profit and that profit has to be worth the effort. If they were to take on a new project from scratch then it most likely would have to be an album that was multi-platinum. I think the best thing we can do to support this process is buy those recent releases: Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Alanis Morresette and Hootie, more so than the quadios.

Back