Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get all that but if labels like Cherry Red can do it with obscure but musically meaningful acts and still be profitable
What excuses are we making for one of the biggest labels in the world..Warner?
I think you're absolutely right they are making bare minimum investment and maximizing the profit.
My guess is that Cherry Red, Dutton Vocalion and SDE are companies that are working with much smaller profit margins. It's not usually worth a mega company like Rhino to do this unless it's a major album with a big payoff like the recent Hootie, Alanis, Fleetwood Mac, etc. And you do it in Atmos. Major artists = big sales. It's all about the stuff on the shelf that's ready to go for the Quadio program. Alice Cooper, Jefferson Starship, Seals and Crofts. Low cost makes those profits more than worthwhile.

I get all that but if labels like Cherry Red can do it with obscure but musically meaningful acts and still be profitable
What excuses are we making for one of the biggest labels in the world..Warner?
I think you're absolutely right they are making bare minimum investment and maximizing the profit.

That's what I would be looking to do if it were my business. :)

I was referring to the quad mix of "Strombringer" which was issued on a single DVD in the UK/Europe market.

But whatever it took to get the Machine Head US quad mix out on high-resolution disc was fine with me. I like vinyl - especially colored/clear vinyl.
Didn't know that, thanks. I'm happy to add some vinyl to the collection as well. I picked up the Rhino Deep Purple Machine Head Super Deluxe 3CD/LP/Blu-ray set. I think the quad disc is quite good.

Newbie to this forum and this is my first post.

I've been enjoying the Quadio series and have a question for @ForagingRhino

I have managed to buy all these releases apart from the Chicago set which is now at absolutely ridiculous prices on the second hand market sites.

Is there any chance we can get a repress of this set? Keeping everything crossed.

Probably not. The likelihood of a release recouping the expense to produce it is extremely small. Unless of course it was a sure-fire title that the artist wanted to bring to completion. Even smaller likelihood.
Ah, you need to channel your inner Ahmet Ertegun and say "This title probably won't make any money, but damn it, I'm going to release this anyway because I love it".

Newbie to this forum and this is my first post.

I've been enjoying the Quadio series and have a question for @ForagingRhino

I have managed to buy all these releases apart from the Chicago set which is now at absolutely ridiculous prices on the second hand market sites.

Is there any chance we can get a repress of this set? Keeping everything crossed.
Hi Galactus!

Welcome to the center of the Surround universe! We have a forum section where you can introduce yourself and spill your life story, equipment and anything else.

But, many of use have wondered about a reissue of that Chicago set. Seems that it would not be that difficult at all to press up another 1,000 or 1,500 boxes since the artwork is complete, the masters are proofed and corrected. I have no idea when it could happen. But there is an effort and priority to reissue new old quad material that has not been on a silver disc in the last 25 years. All first time (for now) on disc for Quadio, which is sweet.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/new-member-introductions.181/

The physical media waning seems to be real. I just added Roberta Flack to my discogs collection, and I was the SECOND member to own the disc. I tried to put Enoch Light in the collection, but it seems I’ll have to make a new release.

I know we’re a niche market, and the numbers of sales are none of my business, but I’m awful glad that folks like Rhino and D-V are providing product for us.

I’m currently trying to list my laser disc based music collection on there, and they had less than half of my discs.
Discogs is now showing 100 people have added it to their collections. A dozen want a copy, and none for sale yet. That appears average to healthy for a very new release on a specialty format.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Remember the record clubs. I remember my Mom putting a $1.00 check along with my selections.
Did the clubs ever offer the quad albums and tapes?
If I remember correctly there was to be a resurgent of the Columbia club, did it happen?

Attachments

• Columbis Record Club.jpg
    Columbis Record Club.jpg
    307.8 KB
yep. Warners licensed those Mercury/Polygram tracks back in the day for the purposes of this box set. Quite common at the time for all those career-retrospective box sets that were issued in the late 80s/early 90s. Have no idea what the agreement was but the original albums (and certainly the multitracks) remained with Polygram
Warner’s needs to clear the quad mix of the “Smiler” album (from Mercury /UMG)) for Rhino to release. This has been keeping me up at night. Rod left Polygram and went to Warner. That Smiler album quad mix must have been left for WB safe keeping. The tape belongs to WB but the copyright is not so straight forward on it.

Remember the record clubs. I remember my Mom putting a $1.00 check along with my selections.
Did the clubs ever offer the quad albums and tapes?
If I remember correctly there was to be a resurgent of the Columbia club, did it happen?
I was in Columbia's Q8 club. They eventually folded and released me from my remaining obligation.

Warner’s needs to clear the quad mix of the “Smiler” album (from Mercury /UMG)) for Rhino to release. This has been keeping me up at night. Rod left Polygram and went to Warner. That Smiler album quad mix must have been left for WB safe keeping. The tape belongs to WB but the copyright is not so straight forward on it.
If "Smiler" is still a UMG title, why would WB have the quad tapes?

If "Smiler" is still a UMG title, why would WB have the quad tapes?
Because Rod’s deal with Poly ended and Smiler was cut from the release schedule as a quad title after his people completed it is my guess. So Rod was not obligated to do anything more for Mercury.

Because Rod’s deal with Poly ended and Smiler was cut from the release schedule as a quad title after his people completed it is my guess. So Rod was not obligated to do anything more for Mercury.
Yeah, but it’s still their title and their tapes. It wouldn’t have been “his” people who completed the mix, but theirs. It was the labels who wanted to get into quad most often. Not the artist. The idea that they’d own all the other mixes but he somehow was able to take only the quad mix with him and give it Warners makes no sense, TBH.

Yeah, but it’s still their title and their tapes. It wouldn’t have been “his” people who completed the mix, but theirs. It was the labels who wanted to get into quad most often. Not the artist. The idea that they’d own all the other mixes but he somehow 1was able to take only the quad mix with him and give it Warners makes no sense, TBH.
Makes perfect sense, somebody had to turn it over didn't they. I don't think it was Mercury who gave WB a quad master tape. The quad mix was done at late point, end of contract. Artist moved to new label which happened to be WB. No other way it happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it’s still their title. It wouldn’t have been “his” people who completed the mix, but theirs. It was the labels who wanted to get into quad most often. Not the artist.

Makes perfect sense, somebody had to turn it over didn't they. I don't think it was Mercury who gave WB a quad master tape. The quad mix was done at late point, end of contract. Artist moved to new label which happened to be WB. No other way it happened.
What makes you think WB has the tape?

Back