Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I I just want to point out that in the case of Rhino, they are selling direct. No retail level to strip away profits, although I don't claim to know the margin for physical media in retail. At the minimum of $20 a pop, let's say 2,000 copies are sold, that is $40,000. Is that enough to cover all the production, manufacturing, marketing, fulfillment, and management fees? To me, this also potentially explains why four titles are done in each batch. Of course, I clearly hope that larger runs are being produced and gobbled up by quadiophiles around the world.

I I just want to point out that in the case of Rhino, they are selling direct. No retail level to strip away profits, although I don't claim to know the margin for physical media in retail. At the minimum of $20 a pop, let's say 2,000 copies are sold, that is $40,000. Is that enough to cover all the production, manufacturing, marketing, fulfillment, and management fees? To me, this also potentially explains why four titles are done in each batch. Of course, I clearly hope that larger runs are being produced and gobbled up by quadiophiles around the world.
Only Rhino exclusive for 90 days. After that other retail outlets can and do offer them for sale.

I think it’s pretty clear that, even if these discs sell “better than expected”, whatever that number is, no one is getting rich.
Which makes this series even more remarkable because it shows it’s driven more by a passion and love of music than by dollars.
Having the tapes prepped into 4-channel digital masters is a smart move for later streaming content. Years after theses go out of print they could appear on Apple or Tidal or Amazon, actually bringing in more revenue. Or sold as downloads? This is a good Warner investment for the future.

Last edited:
The titles they sell direct are more of a profit for them. They sell direct for $24.98. The same titles then later are available at places like Amazon for $3-4 less. And Amazon still has to be making a buck or two on those.

Newbie to this forum and this is my first post.

I've been enjoying the Quadio series and have a question for @ForagingRhino

I have managed to buy all these releases apart from the Chicago set which is now at absolutely ridiculous prices on the second hand market sites.

Is there any chance we can get a repress of this set? Keeping everything crossed.

Lets hope we get back to some rock like the first batch and not this elevator music :rolleyes: we've been getting.
Would love to know what was the best selling batch so far.
Personally, I think foraging Rhino and his hard working cohorts have done a remarkable job with their QUADIO and ATMOS reissues! That they offer them in bundles at a discount or individually at $25 was a smart move for those picayune customers who want only ROCK titles.

BTW, the very same gripes had/have been waged against Audio Fidelity and Dutton Vocalion ..why not more ROCK/HEAVY METAL?

Until LED ZEP finally reneges and OKs Dolby ATMOS remixes of their back catalogue, we'll just have to settle for what we get and in my humblest opinion, the diversity and quality currently coming out of the reissue companies should satisfy ALL but the most die hard [read METAL HEADS] fans of all things SURROUND!

BTW, the very same gripes had/have been waged against Audio Fidelity and Dutton Vocalion ..why not more ROCK/HEAVY METAL?

Until LED ZEP finally reneges and OKs Dolby ATMOS remixes of their back catalogue, we'll just have to settle for what we get and in my humblest opinion, the diversity and quality currently coming out of the reissue companies should satisfy ALL but the most die hard [read METAL HEADS] fans of all things SURROUND!
For 70's quad / 4.0 the hard rock and metal crowd got Blue Oyster Cult. Alice Cooper x2, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. With Stormbringer likely or maybe imminent.
If that is not enough hard rock for them, then they can sit and wait for the modern world to hand them UFO, Priest, and whatever else can be done. I personally think that's a lovely selection of classic chit.

Lets hope we get back to some rock like the first batch and not this elevator music
What quad album would you suggest? I've often seen criticism of certain titles being on offer, but I think it's important to accompany that criticism with what titles you think ought to be released in these sets. Rhino doesn't have access to all quad material, so the pool of quad mixes they have to work with is much smaller than a lot of people realize.

If that is not enough hard rock for them, then they can sit and wait for the modern world to hand them UFO, Priest, and whatever else can be done.
The Megadeth is a revelation, Rust specifically.

I simply prefer to hope for Rhino to continue this program and expand the audience for surround recordings through different styles of music. If “elevator music” brings them, that’s great.

Rhino is one of this hobby’s best friends at the moment. Can’t wait to see what August will bring.

Also... there was a beauty and uniqueness about true elevator music.

https://www.wqxr.org/story/history-muzak-where-did-all-elevator-music-go/

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/599680/muzak-facts
I know, and S&C, James Taylor, America, Spinners, and the pop or soft rock stuff is not elevator music at all. The effort to mix up the styles in these sets of four quad albums is definitely intentional and not a sign of running out of rock, or trying to sell dead chunks of the back catalog. They are coming up with a diverse set so that everyone finds "something" which to like.

I saw in that other forum people saying oh, Gordon "Sundown"... finally something I gotta have. Another said Mingus is the star attraction, and yet others said nothing interesting here since Paranoid. While War and AWB were hot picks for sure. Others loved S&C, and yet some said Joni box was it. Some folks loved the Jefferson Starship, others were lukewarm to it. So the "Quadio" plan is working.

Reviews of the series thus far have been raves.

Each of the titles find their audiences, and the immersive surround crowd scoops up all of them without a second thought. I can't really say I would change a thing.
(edit added)
And we all know there is more Gordon, Randy, James Taylor, Carly, Starship, S&C quad masters so that we can all get mellow again soon enough. LOL!

Last edited:
Personally, I think foraging Rhino and his hard working cohorts have done a remarkable job with their QUADIO and ATMOS reissues! That they offer them in bundles at a discount or individually at $25 was a smart move for those picayune customers who want only ROCK titles.

The Quadio series is obviously limited to the quad mixes from the 70s they have on hand. There's not a lot of "rock" stuff left really, it seems.

But if the series of the BluRays of stuff that has been/will be mixed to Atmos for streaming continues? The possibilities are immense. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Led Zep eventually relent to Atmos. Perhaps some Van Halen? (I know the earlier albums probably aren't best suited for opening up into surround, but the later Van Hagar stuff would certainly be welcome.)

Last edited:
Discogs is now showing 100 people have added it to their collections. A dozen want a copy, and none for sale yet. That appears average to healthy for a very new release on a specialty format.
Yep, I noticed that it was over 100 today. I checked a couple of other new releases I just got in, and they haven't been added to their database. I have put in over 100 releases already. I started doing my laserdiscs a few weeks ago, and well over half of them will be just me as owners, and no history of buying and selling.

A lot if the fun of this is speculating what might be coming and expressing our want lists, and not knowing for sure what’s coming next. But at least with the Quadio series they planned it out quarterly and have stuck to that time frame. So we get to anticipate the releases knowing about when to expect them. This surely beats waiting and not knowing if anything is coming at all.

We also know what was originally mixed in quad for Warner Records. We’re hot on the trail here!

Yep, I noticed that it was over 100 today. I checked a couple of other new releases I just got in, and they haven't been added to their database. I have put in over 100 releases already. I started doing my laserdiscs a few weeks ago, and well over half of them will be just me as owners, and no history of buying and selling.
I have 10 or 12 LDs for sale at Discogs. Just sold a Tears For Fears live (no DVD) LD two weeks ago. I create new entries only when there is something to use as a draft, like a VHS or PAL version already up.

I have 10 or 12 LDs for sale at Discogs. Just sold a Tears For Fears live (no DVD) LD two weeks ago. I create new entries only when there is something to use as a draft, like a VHS or PAL version already up.
I intend to put my entire collection into their database, although I may not live long enough. The only LPs I have entered are the Franklin Mint classical collection (50 releases, 100 LPs, on the bottom shelf in my avatar and clearly visible in some of the pics in my build thread). But I have over 1200 more LPs, not to mention a good selection of 45s and 78s.

It's really so I have a handle on what I've got, not that I'm planning on getting rid of anything soon.

Just an opinion but I think Audio Fidelity not grabbing more rock titles when they had the opportunity is what led to their death as a going concern. Fresh Air, Judy Collins, Laura Nyro, and Labelle and a Christmas album in surround was issued while Sony was open to licensing any quad to them (except for a few obvious things). AF also had access the Capitol Records quad masters, and did not jump on anything great in the rock dept.

So AF did six titles of questionable merit, and had they done just three other rock titles in their place, things could have been different. Why did they not do BOC T&M, Nilsson’s big hit album, Miles Davis Bitches Brew, or Edgar Winter’s major album? Or Mahavish Orch Nothingness. No, a Christmas album and Fresh Air instead. Judy Collins instead of platinum Frankenstein??? Don’t get me started. Oh I already am started. Never mind.

Last edited:
Back