Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep. Warners licensed those Mercury/Polygram tracks back in the day for the purposes of this box set. Quite common at the time for all those career-retrospective box sets that were issued in the late 80s/early 90s. Have no idea what the agreement was but the original albums (and certainly the multitracks) remained with Polygram
Warner’s needs to clear the quad mix of the “Smiler” album (from Mercury /UMG)) for Rhino to release. This has been keeping me up at night. Rod left Polygram and went to Warner. That Smiler album quad mix must have been left for WB safe keeping. The tape belongs to WB but the copyright is not so straight forward on it.

Remember the record clubs. I remember my Mom putting a $1.00 check along with my selections.
Did the clubs ever offer the quad albums and tapes?
If I remember correctly there was to be a resurgent of the Columbia club, did it happen?
I was in Columbia's Q8 club. They eventually folded and released me from my remaining obligation.

Warner’s needs to clear the quad mix of the “Smiler” album (from Mercury /UMG)) for Rhino to release. This has been keeping me up at night. Rod left Polygram and went to Warner. That Smiler album quad mix must have been left for WB safe keeping. The tape belongs to WB but the copyright is not so straight forward on it.
If "Smiler" is still a UMG title, why would WB have the quad tapes?

If "Smiler" is still a UMG title, why would WB have the quad tapes?
Because Rod’s deal with Poly ended and Smiler was cut from the release schedule as a quad title after his people completed it is my guess. So Rod was not obligated to do anything more for Mercury.

Because Rod’s deal with Poly ended and Smiler was cut from the release schedule as a quad title after his people completed it is my guess. So Rod was not obligated to do anything more for Mercury.
Yeah, but it’s still their title and their tapes. It wouldn’t have been “his” people who completed the mix, but theirs. It was the labels who wanted to get into quad most often. Not the artist. The idea that they’d own all the other mixes but he somehow was able to take only the quad mix with him and give it Warners makes no sense, TBH.

Yeah, but it’s still their title and their tapes. It wouldn’t have been “his” people who completed the mix, but theirs. It was the labels who wanted to get into quad most often. Not the artist. The idea that they’d own all the other mixes but he somehow 1was able to take only the quad mix with him and give it Warners makes no sense, TBH.
Makes perfect sense, somebody had to turn it over didn't they. I don't think it was Mercury who gave WB a quad master tape. The quad mix was done at late point, end of contract. Artist moved to new label which happened to be WB. No other way it happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it’s still their title. It wouldn’t have been “his” people who completed the mix, but theirs. It was the labels who wanted to get into quad most often. Not the artist.

Makes perfect sense, somebody had to turn it over didn't they. I don't think it was Mercury who gave WB a quad master tape. The quad mix was done at late point, end of contract. Artist moved to new label which happened to be WB. No other way it happened.
What makes you think WB has the tape?

I I just want to point out that in the case of Rhino, they are selling direct. No retail level to strip away profits, although I don't claim to know the margin for physical media in retail. At the minimum of $20 a pop, let's say 2,000 copies are sold, that is $40,000. Is that enough to cover all the production, manufacturing, marketing, fulfillment, and management fees? To me, this also potentially explains why four titles are done in each batch. Of course, I clearly hope that larger runs are being produced and gobbled up by quadiophiles around the world.

I I just want to point out that in the case of Rhino, they are selling direct. No retail level to strip away profits, although I don't claim to know the margin for physical media in retail. At the minimum of $20 a pop, let's say 2,000 copies are sold, that is $40,000. Is that enough to cover all the production, manufacturing, marketing, fulfillment, and management fees? To me, this also potentially explains why four titles are done in each batch. Of course, I clearly hope that larger runs are being produced and gobbled up by quadiophiles around the world.
Only Rhino exclusive for 90 days. After that other retail outlets can and do offer them for sale.

I think it’s pretty clear that, even if these discs sell “better than expected”, whatever that number is, no one is getting rich.
Which makes this series even more remarkable because it shows it’s driven more by a passion and love of music than by dollars.
Having the tapes prepped into 4-channel digital masters is a smart move for later streaming content. Years after theses go out of print they could appear on Apple or Tidal or Amazon, actually bringing in more revenue. Or sold as downloads? This is a good Warner investment for the future.

Last edited:
That's what I would be looking to do if it were my busin

Roughly 9 cents a song is the industry standard mechanical royalty for artists for cds.Digital download not even 2 cents!
Now there are vagaries depending if an artist owns their masters/songwriting or has a publishing deal etc.
But there should be plenty of profit considering the tapes are just sitting there and they own them

Last edited:
The titles they sell direct are more of a profit for them. They sell direct for $24.98. The same titles then later are available at places like Amazon for $3-4 less. And Amazon still has to be making a buck or two on those.

Newbie to this forum and this is my first post.

I've been enjoying the Quadio series and have a question for @ForagingRhino

I have managed to buy all these releases apart from the Chicago set which is now at absolutely ridiculous prices on the second hand market sites.

Is there any chance we can get a repress of this set? Keeping everything crossed.

Lets hope we get back to some rock like the first batch and not this elevator music :rolleyes: we've been getting.
Would love to know what was the best selling batch so far.
Personally, I think foraging Rhino and his hard working cohorts have done a remarkable job with their QUADIO and ATMOS reissues! That they offer them in bundles at a discount or individually at $25 was a smart move for those picayune customers who want only ROCK titles.

BTW, the very same gripes had/have been waged against Audio Fidelity and Dutton Vocalion ..why not more ROCK/HEAVY METAL?

Until LED ZEP finally reneges and OKs Dolby ATMOS remixes of their back catalogue, we'll just have to settle for what we get and in my humblest opinion, the diversity and quality currently coming out of the reissue companies should satisfy ALL but the most die hard [read METAL HEADS] fans of all things SURROUND!

BTW, the very same gripes had/have been waged against Audio Fidelity and Dutton Vocalion ..why not more ROCK/HEAVY METAL?

Until LED ZEP finally reneges and OKs Dolby ATMOS remixes of their back catalogue, we'll just have to settle for what we get and in my humblest opinion, the diversity and quality currently coming out of the reissue companies should satisfy ALL but the most die hard [read METAL HEADS] fans of all things SURROUND!
For 70's quad / 4.0 the hard rock and metal crowd got Blue Oyster Cult. Alice Cooper x2, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. With Stormbringer likely or maybe imminent.
If that is not enough hard rock for them, then they can sit and wait for the modern world to hand them UFO, Priest, and whatever else can be done. I personally think that's a lovely selection of classic chit.

Lets hope we get back to some rock like the first batch and not this elevator music
What quad album would you suggest? I've often seen criticism of certain titles being on offer, but I think it's important to accompany that criticism with what titles you think ought to be released in these sets. Rhino doesn't have access to all quad material, so the pool of quad mixes they have to work with is much smaller than a lot of people realize.

Back