Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two random thoughts after reading this string.

1) I wonder if it benefits Rhino to release, for example, the James Taylor or Carly Simon albums one at a time or waiting for a box set? Neither has been celebrated like Joni in recent times. It would keep folks coming back for more if we know other JT or CS releases after a first one. Personally, I'd prefer a box set, especially Carly.

2) When I did a search to see how much $25 (the cost for a Rhino Quadio) would have been in 1974, it was $4.20. Who could buy a vinyl quad album or Q8 tape back in 1974 for $4? 😳
It's a better deal today than back then! And it's the stereo and quad versions!
The Deep Purple Machine Head US quad that required purchasing a big box set to get - had me feeling oddly strung along. That is until I dropped the disc into my player and hit the play button. Once into a few songs played all that apprehension evaporated. I considered all the Quadio releases, prices and average cost per disc, and I came out with a new attitude about it all. Box set or no box set, does not matter here really. The sound of these discs, and the price overall, is what is important for me.

But Carly Simon is an odd situation. One of the early albums has no quad mix. The greatest hits album includes repeated content. So I don't mind how that shakes out. She's lower priority for me anyway.

"Sail Away" "Late For The Sky" "Miss M" a Herbie Mann, or MJQ, are higher on my list, and might be more wildly discreet mixes?

The Deep Purple Machine Head US quad that required purchasing a big box set to get - had me feeling oddly strung along. That is until I dropped the disc into my player and hit the play button. Once into a few songs played all that apprehension evaporated. I considered all the Quadio releases, prices and average cost per disc, and I came out with a new attitude about it all. Box set or no box set, does not matter here really. The sound of these discs, and the price overall, is what is important for me.

But Carly Simon is an odd situation. One of the early albums has no quad mix. The greatest hits album includes repeated content. So I don't mind how that shakes out. She's lower priority for me anyway.

"Sail Away" "Late For The Sky" "Miss M" a Herbie Mann, or MJQ, are higher on my list, and might be more wildly discreet mixes?
given Rhino miraculously got the likes of "Paranoid", Jefferson Starship, "Billion Dollar Babies", Roberta & Donny, the AWB, etc for the Quadio programme, while i've no info at all, it's just a hunch, it feels reasonably likely to me that the U.S. Quad mix of "Machine Head" was originally proposed as a standalone Quadio Blu-ray by Foraging Rhino and then some bean counter got wind of it's existence and thought "ah-ha! we'll just have that gem not re-released for 50 years for our upcoming Deluxe Edition to boost sales a bit..!!" 👀😅

i've had to set aside any desire for "Late For The Sky" tbh since Foraging Rhino said it was sadly off the table 😭 but things change of course so hopefully it will appear one day. as for "The Divine Miss M." that would be dream come true Quadio fodder, just the out and out hoot of a mix on the 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' going around and around and around (!) the room should be enough to sell it!! 🤩😋

...while i've no info at all, it's just a hunch, it feels reasonably likely to me that the U.S. Quad mix of "Machine Head" was originally proposed as a standalone Quadio Blu-ray by Foraging Rhino and then some bean counter got wind of it's existence and thought "ah-ha!
monty-python-spanish-inquisition-quote.png

Please Jebus no on any Bette Middler.
Build a bigger table and get Late For the Sky on it pronto:SB
Yeah I agree.
Please no Bette Middler.
Do people really want this or is the same guy going on about it? Lol.
Maybe they should poll us on the titles they are considering.
No need to diss someone else's preferences. It's a given that for every fan of Bette Midler (or Jackson Browne, or whoever else you'd care to name), there's gonna be a hater. And it's not a zero-sum game: we've already seen that the Quadio table is big enough to accommodate a wide range of tastes. Giving a seat to one person's favorite artist won't rob a seat from someone else's.

As for a poll: it might be fun for us--and it might keep bickering about musical taste out of this thread--but would it tell @ForagingRhino anything he didn't already know? Pretty sure he's monitoring the "Future Quadio Releases?" thread.

No need to diss someone else's preferences. It's a given that for every fan of Bette Midler (or Jackson Browne, or whoever else you'd care to name), there's gonna be a hater. And it's not a zero-sum game: we've already seen that the Quadio table is big enough to accommodate a wide range of tastes. Giving a seat to one person's favorite artist won't rob a seat from someone else's.
True. but there also is minimum number of units they need to move to recoup their costs. No doubt there are some Midler quad fans. But if there aren’t enough…. 🤷‍♂️

Please Jebus no on any Bette Middler.
Build a bigger table and get Late For the Sky on it pronto:SB
we'll need a table big enough for Jebus' Last Supper, its already been confirmed "Late For The Sky" is not coming to Quadio Blu-ray anytime soon.

the Quad mix of Bette Midler's "The Divine Miss M." is for me a true Surround showcase, one of the most active and immersive WEA Quad mixes, remixed for Quadradisc by Tom Dowd no less and a mix used numerous times back in the day to demonstrate what Quad was all about. i hope beyond hope Rhino can make it happen on Quadio BD someday 🙏

As for a poll: it might be fun for us--and it might keep bickering about musical taste out of this thread--but would it tell @ForagingRhino anything he didn't already know? Pretty sure he's monitoring the "Future Quadio Releases?" thread.
ah bah idgaf what anyone says or thinks, people can diss any artist all they like and that's absolutely alright by me 🙂

even if i hated the woman's guts (which i clearly don't! 👀😅 ) above all we're chewing the fat on a Quad forum and the Quad mix of that Bette Midler album totally speaks for itself. by any reckoning its a Surround stunner by one of the best in the business studio mixeroo legends of all-time 😅😂

now blast them trumpets, thump that bass and hand me a Scotch on the rocks while i belt out Bette's Boogie Woogie effin' Bugle Boy from company whatsit at full blast on the Quadio-gram-a-phonic rekkid playerrrrr..!!! owwww bayyy-beeee yeeeaahhh 🥃😋🤩 :smokin💘

ps. i'm not holding out hope for a Quadio Blu of Maria M's "Waitress In A Donut Shop" but donut tell anyone, ok..!! 😉🤫

Yeah I agree.
Please no Bette Middler.
Do people really want this or is the same guy going on about it? Lol.
Maybe they should poll us on the titles they are considering.
i honestly doubt Rhino need to Poll us, i'm pretty sure they know what people want and what will sell when it comes to Foraging Rhino and Quadio releases.

what's actually available, things like artist permissions, the availability and/or condition of mastertapes, other releases that might clash, there's all kinds of strategic and marketing stuff influences the labels as much as anything.

this is not based on just my opinion btw, having been involved behind the scenes, including on some of the releases folks here bought (and i hope enjoyed) over the years, i can safely say the end result/end product doesn't necessarily tell the whole story as to what went on and why releases do or don't happen is seldom as cut and dried as it could/should be 🤷🏻‍♀️

ah bah idgaf what anyone says or thinks, people can diss any artist all they like and that's absolutely alright by me 🙂

even if i hated the woman's guts (which i clearly don't! 👀😅 ) above all we're chewing the fat on a Quad forum and the Quad mix of that Bette Midler album totally speaks for itself. by any reckoning its a Surround stunner by one of the best in the business studio mixeroo legends of all-time 😅😂

now blast them trumpets, thump that bass and hand me a Scotch on the rocks while i belt out Bette's Boogie Woogie effin' Bugle Boy from company whatsit at full blast on the Quadio-gram-a-phonic rekkid playerrrrr..!!! owwww bayyy-beeee yeeeaahhh 🥃😋🤩 :smokin💘

ps. i'm not holding out hope for a Quadio Blu of Maria M's "Waitress In A Donut Shop" but donut tell anyone, ok..!! 😉🤫
When we all sit down together at Jebus' table on that Glory Day, I want donuts!

Back