Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...as much as i enjoy the Quadio BDs of the likes of "Red Octopus", "Summer Breeze", "Nightmares..."

They really cleaned up the "mobile recording" sound of this classic JG release? My second favorite album of theirs after FF...if only because I grew up as a kid to that one.

The tipped up top end, and often the bass as well, is known as a "mid-range suck-out" or a "smiley-faced EQ" is a nice way to describe it. Not always to be confused with better sound quality. MFSL originally built their brand on it.

...as much as i enjoy the Quadio BDs of the likes of "Red Octopus", "Summer Breeze", "Nightmares..."

They really cleaned up the "mobile recording" sound of this classic JG release? My second favorite album of theirs after FF...if only because I grew up as a kid to that one.
i would say i could detect no particularly noticeable scrubbing, it still felt authentically mobile sounding enough ✌️😃

I definitely would not include Summer Breeze in the list of "subpar" recordings. I do believe that that's a Val Garay production & loaded with some of the best studio musicians in the biz--- including much of Toto. I do wish the great "Windflowers" was on that album though. I' bet anyone who has it can confirm it sounds fantastic.
You mentioned 'Windflowers'...That is a great song. I hope that album is released as a Quadio😊

Last edited:
That last post will be the only reference... Thanks admins & again I apologize.

Let me reword my thoughts on the current Quadio releases:

Big fan of J Geils especially in that timeframe.(however their swan-song Freeze Frame remains one of my all-time favorite albums). Even though Nghtmares has production by the great Eagles-fame Bill Syz...it's recording quality is a little ragged and uneven. For people who have it, is the Quadio version sound quality worth it?

Also Red Octopus is a similar story--how is the Quadio sound for that one? Can anyone playing this on an Oppo tell me the audio bitrate?

Taking advantage of the four for $79 Rhino deal, I think three locked in are going to be Summer Breeze, Sundown, and Holiday--all three being superb original recordings with world-renowned production teams behind them.

My final one will come down to an Nghtmares & Red Octopus--as I like both original albums quite a bit. Curious to see the SQ answers on those.
Just my personal preference, but of those two I think Nightmares has the better Quad mix. Although both are good albums.

Considering it had production by the great Bill Szymczyk...that doesn't surprise me. But the stereo mix is certainly a bit muddy...

Last edited:
sorry, i've been out of the loop (just got out of the Mars Isolation Experiment). Quadio #5 has moved up? any more hints, allegations and things left unsaid? or at least rumors of confirmations? ZZTOP? a quadio dedicated to 32 different quad mixes of "Guitar Man?" a long lost but never known unreleased quad from Deep Purple? so much to catch up on. anyone care to enlighten me?

Just now realized the Blu-ray site reviewed them all...but in pretty much a copy and paste format. Great mix, great separation and (insert song here) sounded great.

Um....okay. Opinions via here I've read are much preferred!

Just now realized the Blu-ray site reviewed them all...but in pretty much a copy and paste format. Great mix, great separation and (insert song here) sounded great.

Um....okay. Opinions via here I've read are much preferred!
ah there's no cut and paste posting here!

cut posting and there's no paste here ah!

there's paste here ah no cut and posting!

(now, where's my cookie cutter.. 👀😅 )

yes but really only the early birds secured a copy of the SDE (Ten Years After) and the DVD/LP version is long out of print now! 😅

damn I'm glad I got mine then! I guess it really was limited... I just happened to check the forums at the right time and pulled the trigger.

I haven't been keeping up with the thread. Do we think we know what the next Quadio batch is? Or the next Atmos batch?
Thanks.
only best guesses and wild stabs in the dark based on the scant info we have so far 🤷🏻‍♀️

wild stabs included such diverse names as Larry Graham, Bette M., Duke Ellington, James Gang, J Geils (Bloodshot!) & Herbie Mann.

Back