Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what that Sergio Mendes album sounds like in decoded quad? I have the CD-4 LP I picked up very cheaply many moons ago. I should play it in stereo to get a vague idea.
it sounds fabulous and is a discrete-o-matic disc! 🥳😋 a beautifully arranged, produced, recorded and mixed record that approximately 18.5 people may have heard in Quad in the last 48 & 3/4 years! 🤯😅🤣

it sounds fabulous and is a discrete-o-matic disc! 🥳😋 a beautifully arranged, produced, recorded and mixed record that approximately 18.5 people may have heard in Quad in the last 48 & 3/4 years! 🤯😅🤣
I think I’d rather have this than “Waitress in a Donut Shop.” Maybe a few others as well.

Too bad I don’t think that Sergio had any chart hits from this Brazil ‘75 album. I’ll have to read up and see if this was any sort of mid-70s comeback.

Engineered (in stereo anyway, he probably did the quad as well) by your main man Phil Schier, who did the Quincy Jones quad mixes, so it's no surprise you like it. ;)

Bread was always kinda interesting. Unlike some other "soft rock" bands, they never got that stigma that The Carpenters,
I wonder what that Sergio Mendes album sounds like in decoded quad? I have the CD-4 LP I picked up very cheaply many moons ago. I should play it in stereo to get a vague idea.
Oddly enough, I just played it the other day. The 4 channel effects are really pretty amazing. And I enjoyed the tunes, too

Does anyone else think it's odd that, with so many Carly Simon albums in quad, none have been released yet as a Quadio? I'm really speculating the next box set.
I know it’s been mentioned, and if it ever shows up, I’m in for the set. I’m thinking it’ll be their next box set, but I have no supporting info - just that several of us on QQ want it.

Not for me there wasn’t, second batch in a row nothing appealled to me! Hoping for some rock or singer-songwriter next go ‘round. Oh well, happy Rhino is doing great with these and hope they continue, and maybe next batch will have something for my tastes .😊

I really do feel your pain, as there have been a few that I played once, never to be replayed again......BUT I figure in hopes of getting my taste in Quadio's, I need to fully support Rhino's effort.
Now I understand in this economy, there is no such thing as extra money. And everybody's financial situation is different.
I manage, by not eating lunch with my group while out on m/c rides, is how I afford them. I just pack a few bottles of water and sit outside while they're eating and say Iam not hungry.......

Here's wishing the next batch will included artists that are must have for you and ME TOO! :D

My "unreleased" crystal ball...
Electra:
  1. Mickey Newbury - I Came To Hear The Music (or)
  2. Bread - Best Vol. 2 (or maybe)
  3. Queen - Queen
Atlantic:
  1. Aretha Franklin - With Everything I Feel
  2. J. Geils Band - Bloodshot
Warner:
  1. Black Sabbath - Sabotage (or)
  2. James Taylor - Sweet Baby James (or maybe)
  3. Uriah Heep - Return to Fantasy

Electra:
  3. Queen - Queen
Atlantic:
Warner:
For Elektra:

I may be mistaken, but I believe Foraging Rhino confirmed that the rights to the album had reverted to the artist's management which made a Quadio release more than unlikely.

I can justify these Quadio purchases because they are priced just about like Audio Fidelity SACDs were eight years ago when I was buying on sale from Deep Discount.

I'm no longer combing used record stores and building the vinyl collection as before. So that's a lot less music spending.
Quadio is one small treat for myself. If money got tight I can always sell off some of the other older LPs and CDs I have.

Gave up Starbucks as a regular stop some years ago. I don't think they want my business that much anyway. I don't go out to eat that much, don't drink much at all either. Starbucks I gather do not want my business because they have closed many of the larger stores where you could sit down and enjoy your expensive drink for 25 or 30 min. They want to sell you the drink and often just get you out of the place. It's not that relaxing anymore at the ones closest to me.

I'm feeling good about real quad being so much more accessible and affordable than it has ever been before.

Last edited:
No, there is not. Never has been.

Just to doubly confirm this, - and I've said this elswhere on this forum a couple of times - I spoke to Mike Butcher, who did the quad mix of Paranoid (and the stereo mixes of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage) and he said that they started doing a quad mix of one track off Sabotage, but it was aborted and never returned to due to some kind of technical fault that he couldn't recall the nature of.

He said that during the recording for Sabotage the band were mired in the lawsuit with their former manager and their minds were elsewhere, and doing the quad mix subesquently fell by the wayside as a result. I also asked him why they never did a quad mix of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and he said that by that point (1975) it was seen as an "old album" and wasn't worth revisiting, especially in light of the fact that they'd already done the quad mix of Paranoid as the token 'old (catalog) album' release.

Bear in mind that back then the music industry was moving at warp speed in terms of album releases - most bands were putting out a record a year, and Sabbath were one of them - and labels were really in the business of promoting new product (having not really discovered the "reissue" cash cow) so re-promoting a 2 or 3 year old album (in a niche format) would've been anathema to them at the time.

He said that during the recording for Sabotage the band were mired in the lawsuit with their former manager and their minds were elsewhere
BS -BEING ELSEWHERE.jpg

Electra:
  3. Queen - Queen
Atlantic:
Warner:
I believe Steve has confirmed that the rights to that Aretha album now belongs with her estate. The rights to her last four (?) Atlantic albums reverted to her.

Back