Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bundle has just been delivered in the UK. I was very lucky as it turns out, as the cardboard box was not sealed at either end (it never had been, so not opened by customs) 😲 and all 4 could have fallen out in transit! The Ellington case was cracked, but at least all four arrived.

My bundle has just been delivered in the UK. I was very lucky as it turns out, as the cardboard box was not sealed at either end (it never had been, so not opened by customs) 😲 and all 4 could have fallen out in transit! The Ellington case was cracked, but at least all four arrived.
Same exact conditions with me here in Texas.

Mine was supposed to be delivered on Saturday, but it has been sitting in Kansas City FedEx since last Thursday (around 100 miles from my doorstep) with no scheduled hand-off to USPS. Today I got an email with a new expected delivery date of tomorrow. Gnarlywood...shipping at its finest. 😡🤬

Mine was supposed to be delivered on Saturday, but it has been sitting in Kansas City FedEx since last Thursday (around 100 miles from my doorstep) with no scheduled hand-off to USPS. Today I got an email with a new expected delivery date of tomorrow. Gnarlywood...shipping at its finest. 😡🤬
The USPS is unpredictable at best. Tracking updates are often not reality.

Exactly the same for me, I just pulled out the flap and the cases fell out AND the Duke Ellington case was smashed.

No cracked cases this time! 😁 Unfortunately, my Seal digisleeve was slightly crushed, but that would be likely with nearly all online retailers. It seems only Burning Shed and the audiophile shops like Acoustic Sounds care enough to both store and pack things carefully.

Nearly the same here Duncan. Simon the Evri delivery chap said he was tempted to have a peek inside. He was joking ....he's a good man who I trust..
But fortunately, all in good condition, no cracked cases.
Strange packing decision in not sealing the box.
20240805_203813.jpg

I played four quadio discs last night including Bread. I found that it’s balanced perfectly. Sometimes a hard driven guitar or thumping bass sounds louder compared to the channel opposite- but it’s the way the music is supposed to sound. The vocals stayed central consistently track to track.

The Hot Tuna sounded better on this third play than previously. I heard it more as a whole ensemble playing program rather than analyzing the sound quality of each instrument or the instrumental placement. Quite nice “band” sound.

Last edited:
The Bette Midler disc is authored differently than all the others. The stereo and quad are on two totally different “titles” rather than being two tracks under the same title.
The quad version is 16 seconds longer than the stereo.

I much prefer the way Rhino did this disc compared to how they handled the Alice Cooper title that also had major differences between the two versions.

The quad version is 16 seconds longer than the stereo.

I much prefer the way Rhino did this disc compared to how they handled the Alice Cooper title that also had major differences between the two versions.
I agree that it's one of the lesser possible "evils:" preserve the original mixes, at the cost of seamless branching between them. Another compromise could be to pad the shorter tracks with silence and keep them on the same title, but that would mess with album flow. Regardless, the last thing I think any of us want is for edits to be made, such as those found on the Pink Floyd Immersion Blu-rays/DVDs.

Finally, Graham Central Station

Left these cool dudes to last as it's a wonderful album.

This type of music is right up my street.

Funky.
We all need some funk in our lives. ☺️
Agreed. If you're not familiar with blues guitarist/multi-instrumentalist Johnny "Guitar" Watson, you should investigate some of his late 70's output. He gravitated towards a more funk/R & B style with some humor thrown in.

Agreed. If you're not familiar with blues guitarist/multi-instrumentalist Johnny "Guitar" Watson, you should investigate some of his late 70's output. He gravitated towards a more funk/R & B style with some humor thrown in.
Oh yes Indeedy.
In 1976 I bought his LP, "Ain't That a Bitch".
My son has it now, as I gave him my record collection...as he likes to play his music in stereo!!! 😀 Whatever that is 🤷😁

My 4 Quadios arrived a few moments ago (UPS handed off to USPS, a UPS email said they were delivered yesterday evening...).

I've only heard the radio hits on 3 of the 4 albums, I've never heard the GCS album (I decided to wait to hear the quad mix, I didn't listen to the YouTube audios of any of these albums), I plan to follow the focus group new song/album listening "protocol" (mentioned on radiodiscussions.com) - listen to each album about 8 times before I consider rating them.

Kirk Bayne

Back