Steven Wilson Richard Wright "Wet Dream" (Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes coming September 29!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Wright’s Broken China was one of those Q Sound CD issues but I’ve never heard it, seems hard to find out in the wild. wonder if that one will get the surround treatment.

Neither album is on streaming services but looks like the 2023 remix will be coming to streaming. No Atmos in Canada.

I found a weird bootleg DTS 5.1 version of "Broken China" a few years ago where somebody remixed and extended the songs with long instrumental electronica sections, staying faithful to the sound of the original album so it feels cohesive. And the 5.1 is tastefully done, I'm pretty sure it's an upmix but it works surprisingly well. Very interesting curiosity. Might still be somewhere out there.

Bought the original CD when it came out in 1996. World of difference between it and Wet Dream, but it's a good one.

Not sure how I feel about this one - the album is not very good, and being in surround won't fix that :(
It came out close enough to David Gilmour's first solo album that I wound up putting each one on their own side of an auto-reversing reel. They're obviously very different albums, but I love both. I remember local rock radio playing Gilmour's--in fact, I remember one evening having "No Way Out of Here" pop up and thinking "That sure sounds like David Gilmour!" before knowing he had an album out. Went to the record store the next day.

I can't even remember how I found out about Wright's...I may have simply randomly seen it for sale. It's only within the last few years that I've heard even one single track from it on the radio and even there it was on a specialty show.

This is my gentle way of violently disagreeing with you. ;)

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230629-155254_Chrome.jpg

Wet Dream is a real hidden jewel in the Floyd catalog. A truly beautiful album. Rick assembled a great band for the album; saxophonist Mel Collins (King Crimson), guitarist Snowy White (Floyd touring band, Thin Lizzy), drummer Reg Isidore (Robin Trower).

View attachment 93268View attachment 93269
Somewhere on a hard drive I've got an MP3 playlist that combines the first solo album from each Floyd singer (so David Gilmour, Wet Dream and The Final Cut) into what my 20-something brain thought was a thematically coherent album.

But as an adult they each hold up on their own well... and I might rank Wet Dream as my favorite of the three!

It came out close enough to David Gilmour's first solo album that I wound up putting each one on their own side of an auto-reversing reel. They're obviously very different albums, but I love both. I remember local rock radio playing Gilmour's--in fact, I remember one evening having "No Way Out of Here" pop up and thinking "That sure sounds like David Gilmour!" before knowing he had an album out. Went to the record store the next day.
For me, these two albums are two sides of the same coin. They were recorded mere weeks apart from each other at the same recording studio. I often play them back to back beginning with David's album. I love both and I'm looking forward to getting the Blu-Ray.

I can't even remember how I found out about Wright's...I may have simply randomly seen it for sale. It's only within the last few years that I've heard even one single track from it on the radio and even there it was on a specialty show.

This is my gentle way of violently disagreeing with you. ;)
I love David Gilmour's first record, and got it (on vinyl) before getting Wright's LP. That may have affected my perspective, as the Gilmour record resonated with me and I play it often and can name serial tracks from it in conversation. Wet Dream, I couldn't ell you one without looking it up.
I will listed to it again now through through my older, more experienced ears and see what it is you like about it. I may add that I did not care for David Gilmour's second solo record, and even less his third.

Back