Santana "Borboletta" 7-inch Sony Japan MultiCh SACD coming November 6th, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Translated using Google translate...

<Santana 50th Anniversary 8th Release> The hidden masterpiece from 1974, “Borboletta – SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition” featuring the ultra-rare “4ch Surround Mix” will be released on November 6th!

Santana - Borboletta.jpg

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of Santana's 6th album "Borboletta" (1974), the SA-CD multi-hybrid version will be released for the first time in the world on Wednesday, November 6th. This is the 8th release in Santana's 50th Anniversary Series, which started in 2020 as a Japan-only project.

This album follows the same flow as the previous album "Welcome," which was the first work by the New Santana Band that appeared at their first performance in Japan in 1973, but it features the return of David Brown, the bassist of the original Santana Band, Leon Patillo, who replaced Leon Thomas on vocals, and guest appearances by Stanley Clarke (B), Flora Purim (Perc & Vo), and Airto Moreira (Perc & Dr) from the first Return to Forever, making it a powerful and diverse album. Since the masterpiece "Caravanserai" in 1972, Carlos Santana's noble spirituality and Latin dynamism are smoothly fused, and the album includes fusion instrumentals with a fantastical mood as well as high-quality pop vocal numbers. The album's high level of perfection, including Carlos Santana's sensual guitar, which resonates superbly smoothly, and the bewitching charm emanating from Jules Broussard's saxophone, has made it one of Santana's best "hidden masterpieces," and it has received extremely high praise from fans.

At the time of its release, this work was available in both stereo and 4ch surround mix quadraphonic versions (not released in Japan), but it has never been reissued to this day. This edition, which will be the first in the world to be revived as an SA-CD, has been DSD mastered at Sony Music Studios in Japan from the original 4ch quadraphonic mix master, just like the previous series, so not only can you hear the phrasing and nuances of each instrument's playing with the utmost clarity, but the high quality surround mix also allows you to experience a superb soundscape full of realism. In addition, the SA-CD stereo mix has been newly mastered from the original 2ch mix master, and the CD layer is a newly remastered version in which the SA-CD stereo master has been converted to PCM. The package is a 7-inch paper jacket that has been carefully resized from the US quadraphonic LP, and includes a reproduction of the Japanese single jacket of "Give and Take," which features an eye-catching illustration of Carlos Santana by Masamichi Oikawa, as well as two original overseas advertising mini posters.

Santana - Borboletta 2.jpg

Product code: SICP 10155
Price: ¥4,800 (tax included)
Released on Wednesday, November 6th
[Limited edition / Japan exclusive]

[Features of the SA-CD Multi-Hybrid Edition]

●[SA-CD 4ch] High-quality surround mix of the analog 4ch mix master of the quadraphonic LP, mastered for the first time in DSD at Sony Music Studios in Japan

●[SA-CD 2ch / CD] High-quality stereo mix of the analog 2ch mix master newly mastered in DSD / New mastering source with SA-CD master converted to PCM for the CD layer

●7-inch paper jacket with the first reproduction of the artwork of the original US quadraphonic LP

●Reproduction of the gold label of the original US quadraphonic

●Reproduction of the Japanese single jacket of "Give And Take"

●Includes two types of original overseas advertising mini posters from the 1974 album release

●Reproduction of the obi of the first edition of the original Japanese LP

●Reproduction of the liner notes from 1974 and 2006 revised editions + booklet with new commentary

●Latest remastered edition in 2024

It looks like they might skip Illuminations then, given that it came out before Borboletta. We already have it from DV, so no big deal.

Still hoping that they will add a few other missing quad titles like Mahavishnu Orchestra’s Between Nothingness and Eternity. Also, Herbie Hancock’s Thrust is 50 years this year…though the Audio Fidelity release left nothing to desire.

If they do a great job with the cover art, it will be really cool. IIRC, it’s ultra iridescent, like a real Butterfly’s wings from an Amazon rain forest kind of way! Will be nigh impossible to get a good (realistic) scan from.

How does it work with CD Japan if you place an order with a mixture of In Stock and Preorder items? Do they ship what they can now or wait until the order is complete?
Their website doesn’t seem to say.

Want to order Borboletta now but not on its own.

How does it work with CD Japan if you place an order with a mixture of In Stock and Preorder items? Do they ship what they can now or wait until the order is complete?

Their site gives you the option of sending items as they become available.. I ordered Santana and Laura Nyro and chose to have them shipped together .. they are released 3 weeks apart and I’m in no hurry, plus I think it’s cheaper as well.
You’ll get that option when you go through checkout .

If they do a great job with the cover art, it will be really cool. IIRC, it’s ultra iridescent, like a real Butterfly’s wings from an Amazon rain forest kind of way! Will be nigh impossible to get a good (realistic) scan from.

Trust the power of the mighty Nippon Gods of Album Reproduction. They always bring things to the next level.

Going to definitely buy this one, great album! Fortunately, I can always find inexpensive jazz CD titles there too, to help offset the shipping cost. Hope “Amigos” is next. But if memory serves, the quad mix is just okay. Very thankful that Japan is doing these Santana albums, the Welcome and Caravanserai SACDs are stellar.😎

In my experience, Rang, they ship the entire order when ALL the items are in stock thus saving on DHL s/h charges. I also want to order the Laura Nyro upcoming QUAD and that won’t be released until November 27th so I would have to wait until that date to complete my order.

Me too with DHL shipping.
Added a few other items to spread the shipping. One was a proxy item which added some fees but still cheaper than what I would pay here
Am upgrading my 2003 Toto sacd to the new one with extras... added Joni Mitchell Blue MQA since @4-earredwonder likes that version and its cheaper than amazon.
When you think you are saving money you are still spending it.......

Last edited:
Back