Santana "Borboletta" 7-inch Sony Japan MultiCh SACD coming November 6th, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too with DHL shipping.
Added a few other items to spread the shipping. One was a proxy item which added some fees but still cheaper than what I would pay here
Am upgrading my 2003 Toto sacd to the new one with extras... added Joni Mitchell Blue MQA since 4 ears likes that version and its cheaper than amazon.
When you think you are saving money you are still spending it.......
BTW, Jeffie, both marpow and cbmmm3 swear by the Van Halen MQA remasters and they’re certainly cheaper than the MoFi Stereo SACDs. I will probably likewise add them to my order for Barboletta and Nyro!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searchuni?term.media_format=&q=Van+Halen+MQA

Last edited:
I don't know as much as the rest of you but when advertised as the ultra rare Quad mix, how true is that statement?
Has anyone on QQ made a list of the most rare 4 channel quads?

I just purchased.
i wouldn't say ultra rare, borderline scarce nowadays maybe but there are far rarer CBS Quads imho 🤷🏻‍♀️

fwiw it was released on Columbia in both the U.S. and Canada on both SQ Quad LP and Q8 Quad 8-track tape and in The Netherlands on SQ Quad LP and also in Israel on SQ Quad LP, so it's not hard to track down the Quad in some shape or form to this day.

above all, for me it has a great Glen Kolotkin mix, the last truly worthwhile Santana Quad mix (chronologically-speaking, "Amigos" & "Festival" are fake/dud mixes, unfortunately) and is just a lovely album ❤️🙏💘

In my experience, Rang, they ship the entire order when ALL the items are in stock thus saving on DHL s/h charges. I also want to order the Laura Nyro upcoming QUAD and that won’t be released until November 27th so I would have to wait until that date to complete my order.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I’ll place an order now and add a few other goodies to spread the shipping. Maybe Carananserai and Welcome.
Do they charge at the time of order or when it ships?

IIRC , the original Borboletta Japanese album had a shiny metallic sleeve .
Now that's a rarity.

And I think a Miles Davis Japanese quad album had the same thing , but later releases were like the regular album . That might hold true with Borboletta as well.

i wouldn't say ultra rare, borderline scarce nowadays maybe but there are far rarer CBS Quads imho 🤷🏻‍♀️

fwiw it was released on Columbia in both the U.S. and Canada on both SQ Quad LP and Q8 Quad 8-track tape and in The Netherlands on SQ Quad LP and also in Israel on SQ Quad LP, so it's not hard to track down the Quad in some shape or form to this day.

above all, for me it has a great Glen Kolotkin mix, the last truly worthwhile Santana Quad mix (chronologically-speaking, "Amigos" & "Festival" are fake/dud mixes, unfortunately) and is just a lovely album ❤️🙏💘

Adam's said it all really, but just with regards to the rarity of CBS-family mixes I think the general rule of thumb would be that the later in the quad era they came out the less copies were printed and thefore the rarer the titles are.

CBS's first quad releases came out in January or February of 1972 (that big batch of gold-bordered ones that included Abraxas, etc.) and the final batch came out at the end of April 1977 (Musicmagic, Go for Your Guns, Conquistador)

Obviously there's no way of saying exactly how rare something is, but if I was trying to give you a sense of it, I'd say that the rarity of titles (in terms of how difficult they are to find today) doubled each year. So let's say that we make a scale where 100 is most common and 1 is most rare.

YearCommonality ScoreSample album from that year (artist/title)
1972100Santana - Abraxas
197350Blood Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
197425Rick Derringer - Spring Fever / Santana - Borboletta
197512.5Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow / Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
19766.25Billy Joel - Turnstiles / Chicago - X
19773.125Return to Forever - Musicmagic / Isley Bros - Go for Your Guns

Like I said this isn't an exact science - the slope probably isn't quite so linear, like a lot of the 1973 titles are probably higher than a 50, but by the same token other things are much tougher to find, like most of the albums from black artists (the PIR quads, Earth, Wind & Fire, etc.) are much scarcer than their white counterparts from the same years. But I think it gives you some idea of how much tougher it is to find a 1977 CBS SQ album than it is to find one from 1972, even with the internet. I posted some sales figures that CBS reported for a few of their SQ LPs and Abraxas was far and away the leader with about 250,000 sold. I'd be surprised if any of those 1977 albums had even 10,000 copies pressed.

Back