Seeburg Quadraphonic Jukebox

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hey,
Just saw there is a Seeburg Quadraphonic Jukebox up for auction on Ebay. I have one of these and they are a cool collectible. Not actually quad in any true sense, but still fun. I know a few of the other quad guys on here have one of these too. If anyone lives in the Ohio area you might want to check out the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-Jukebox-Seeburg-First-Edition-SQS160-Juke-box_W0QQitemZ270069703789QQihZ017QQcategoryZ13721QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that the one that had the 4 channel "exciter" box or something of that order?

Which models were the ones that played the little 7" quad EPs? (they were all QS, I think... I have a few of those "Little LPs". )

-Bob

Is that the one that had the 4 channel "exciter" box or something of that order?

Which models were the ones that played the little 7" quad EPs? (they were all QS, I think... I have a few of those "Little LPs". )

-Bob

Yes, this has a very bogus "quad" decoder supplied. I have a few of the 7" quad titles also. It's always been a bit of a mystery as to who the target audience was for those. First of all, like you said, they are actually QS encoded. And the built in decoder in the jukebox does virtually nothing to create a surround effect. Maybe they were just made available because they could get a premium price for them over the typical 45. Since I'm sure the people who originally purchased these jukeboxes didn't have a clue they may have been sold a bill of goods that these quad 45's would give them a more discrete surround sound from their jukebox. Which, if played thru a nice Sansui QRX 9001, they may have. But the decoder in the jukebox is no Sansui! By the way, I was looking at some original literature for the jukebox the other day. I don't recall the exact figures, but the quad version of this jukebox retailed for over $2,400 back in 74 and 75 when it was being sold. The stereo version, which did not have the quad decoder, the quad display glass and 4 extra Seeburg speakers, sold for about $400 less.

Back