Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice set up. Even though you say not optimal, are you able to correct with room correction like Audessy or something, even as simple as channel level +/-?
I had a similar set up and my rear left was a bout 6' from my head and my rear right was about 10' from my head, I just cranked up the rear right and sounded OK.
Yes I used the automatic room correction of my Pioneer and the speaker distances were detected astoundingly well. But I also did a manual correction of the sound level afterwards to adjust to my ears since a microphone can't capture all the deficencies of the human hearing for people my age :ROFLMAO:
I also set the whole speakers to large and let the Subwoofer run at low volume as "Double Bass" and only up to 50 HZ. This helped optimizing the soundquality and effects a lot.

That's a good question @ar surround , and that's something I realised after placing it at the bottom cabinet/section. I had to put the amp on top so that it has proper ventilation. In addition to that, I'll get an AC Infinity Aircom T10 on top to give it a better temperature.

Hooweeever, that rearrangement/placement compromised the placement of the center speaker. As you can see the central channel is now aligned properly vs. the front speakers, as well as the sweet spot, though the TV isn't. You can't have it all.

View attachment 106475

I'd just move the amp back to the lower shelf as these Emotiva amps run very cool. The manual itself doesn't indicate or suggest any type of minimum ventilation. You'd think if it was hyper-important they would specify something, at the least to cover warranty issues.

I have an Emotiva UPA-7 amp that has about one inch of clearance and I've been running it that way for almost 14 years without issue.
20240612_104446_resized.jpg

I'll get an AC Infinity Aircom T10 on top to give it a better temperature...
Good idea, I have an Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 (so it feeds 7 speakers) and have an AC Infinity Aircom on top of it. The amp is used about 12 hours every day, with 6 of those being at very loud volumes (no neighbours), and it certainly heats up, but the fans keep it cool. The logic for getting one (6 years ago now) was irrefutable from what I read: overheating is the most likely cause of an amp failing (assuming you don't spill booze on it), and having spent over $3000 for the amp, a cooling fan for an extra $100 was a no-brainer.

I'd just move the amp back to the lower shelf as these Emotiva amps run very cool. The manual itself doesn't indicate or suggest any type of minimum ventilation. You'd think if it was hyper-important they would specify something, at the least to cover warranty issues.

I have an Emotiva UPA-7 amp that has about one inch of clearance and I've been running it that way for almost 14 years without issue.
View attachment 106497
Cool amp! though you're wrong on not needing ventilation. The manual is crystal clear on the 1st page about not putting the amp on a closed cabinet, at least the XPAs.
Fair to say that Emotiva has reputation for being cool and not overheating, it's better to prevent than to be sorry for just 130 bucks.

Cool amp! though you're wrong on not needing ventilation. The manual is crystal clear on the 1st page about not putting the amp on a closed cabinet, at least the XPAs.
Fair to say that Emotiva has reputation for being cool and not overheating, it's better to prevent than to be sorry for just 130 bucks.
I don't believe your media rack would be considered 'a closed cabinet'for a device that runs so cooly, but I get you.

Last edited:
Just completed my 7.x.x Chane 700 series speaker system with a pair of Chane 740 rear surrounds.

753 L/C
752 Center
740 Surrounds

View attachment 107132

View attachment 107133
I like the way your speaker layout is, especially the rear. I know you have a small nearfield listening and I know that all the speakers are beneficial to you as the listener.
I only have two rears that would say be in the middle of your sides and rears.
My question is how would you best describe the listening of those 4 rear speakers?
I have always thought about going from 5 on the floor to 7 on the floor, but have never tried it.

Looks great! You said 7.x.x , so how many ceiling channels do you have? Same as the surrounds?

Northern MN is a beautiful area. Spent a lot of time around Bemidji.

SVS Prime Elevation fore and aft. I have the rears tucked into my DIY bookshelves.

Chane offers a similar speaker but with a larger 5.25" midwoofer. But I have no complaints with the Prime Elevations and it would be a pretty big hassle to re-wire and install different ATMOS speakers, so I think those are here to stay.

I moved back to the Duluth MN area years ago as I really enjoy the out door life the region provides

rear svs.jpg

front svs.jpg

I like the way your speaker layout is, especially the rear. I know you have a small nearfield listening and I know that all the speakers are beneficial to you as the listener.
I only have two rears that would say be in the middle of your sides and rears.
My question is how would you best describe the listening of those 4 rear speakers?
I have always thought about going from 5 on the floor to 7 on the floor, but have never tried it.

For me, going from 5.x to 7.x was the most incremental of speaker improvements. That is not to say it is without merit though.

Play of movie The Force Awakens, where Kylo steals the Millennium Falcon. As they are racing through the abandoned Star Destroyer, you have ships flying around the room. Play it back in 5.x and then 7.x. There is a noticeable smoothing as the sound pans around the back of the room in 7.x. It's just more abrupt in 5.x, a more distinct transition from left to right or vice versa.

Again for music, and especially ATMOS, you get a slightly more immersive effect. Also, you have more speakers, so I would imagine your AVR can more accurately render the spatial audio as the mixer intended.

These are incremental changes, but in the world of audio, it all matters.

It's also a cost effective solution to make an upgrade. To make any type of meaningful upgrade to my towers/center or subs would cost many many thousands of dollars. I can add two rear surrounds for like $650.

For me, going from 5.x to 7.x was the most incremental of speaker improvements. That is not to say it is without merit though.

Play of movie The Force Awakens, where Kylo steals the Millennium Falcon. As they are racing through the abandoned Star Destroyer, you have ships flying around the room. Play it back in 5.x and then 7.x. There is a noticeable smoothing as the sound pans around the back of the room in 7.x. It's just more abrupt in 5.x, a more distinct transition from left to right or vice versa.

Again for music, and especially ATMOS, you get a slightly more immersive effect. Also, you have more speakers, so I would imagine your AVR can more accurately render the spatial audio as the mixer intended.

These are incremental changes, but in the world of audio, it all matters.

It's also a cost effective solution to make an upgrade. To make any type of meaningful upgrade to my towers/center or subs would cost many many thousands of dollars. I can add two rear surrounds for like $650.
That's what I call cogging.

Back