Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queen sells recording and publishing rights for $1.27 BILLION!!!

Righteous bucks...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-sale-one-billion/
I have a hard time understanding the economics of this kind of transaction. How will the buyer (in this case, Sony Music), ever recoup their $1.27B and make a profit on these rights? When someone uses a Queen song in a movie or a commercial or something, how much are they actually paying for it? I'm sure they've done the math and all that, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.

I have a hard time understanding the economics of this kind of transaction. How will the buyer (in this case, Sony Music), ever recoup their $1.27B and make a profit on these rights? When someone uses a Queen song in a movie or a commercial or something, how much are they actually paying for it? I'm sure they've done the math and all that, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.
My guess is that you will see a ton of commercials with Queen music in the next decade. And if you want to be optimistic, a 50th anniversary box set with Atmos mixes. ( for a ridiculous price)
But I agree, that is a very large investment to recoup.

They can chop up the songs into bits and use those to base multiple new pop songs on for the next generation of auto-tune stars. And because they own the rights they won't get sued.

My guess is that you will see a ton of commercials with Queen music in the next decade. And if you want to be optimistic, a 50th anniversary box set with Atmos mixes. ( for a ridiculous price)
But I agree, that is a very large investment to recoup.
One of these commercials that makes me laugh is Jefferson Starships "we built this city"....now in a commercial is that same melody only now it is "we fixed this toilet":rolleyes:

One of these commercials that makes me laugh is Jefferson Starships "we built this city"....now in a commercial is that same melody only now it is "we fixed this toilet":rolleyes:
What you say? We fixed this toilet with rock and roll??

I hate the original song but I must say I guess it lived on to its ultimate retail potential.

Looking for it on YT. Thanks CE.

Last edited:
welp. Electric Forest 2024 has started. If I were young, Id be there !!

electricforest.jpg

other areas of the globe dig these guys and the fans are young. I.e. Japan. Its not just us old geezers in the USA
I do remember having a discussion on here about Rush having fathers, sons and grandfathers at their concerts. The Beatles have that massive appeal with different age groups. Speaking of the "younger" generation, I still remember a story about family dynamics. The father see's Joe DiMaggio on TV and asked his son if he knows that man. The son is quick to respond "Everybody knows him, he is Mr. Coffee"...disappointed by this response he starts to mumble and then the grandfather enters the room....he speaks to the father... ".you are no better than your son....how could you forget about his real claim to fame...Marilyn freaking Monroe"..he then gives the father a Tony Dinozzo head slap and leaves the room :LB

Back