Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES @ar surround ! I'm in an official Wednesday night league and two daytime drop-in leagues. Just finishing up a morning music marathon before heading off to the alleys! With the latest heat wave, i've been spending LOTS of time bowling in the comfort of air conditioning!
Bowling was a big part of my life as a kid. They built a bowling alley close to my house, I could walk there or ride my bike. The manager of the lanes was a former ABC singles champion. He was a lefty. He was also a smart business man. When the lanes were under construction, he would give us a pass for games if we would clean up the lot, which meant picking up papers in the parking lot. So when the lanes opened he let us(about 5 of us from the neighborhood) come in before the grand opening and we could bowl for free. That lead to each of us buying a bowling ball, bag and shoes. We were hooked! I was in awe of his talent. One day before the lanes were open he would take his ball and start on lane 1 and move from lane to lane...and THEY WERE ALL STRIKES....15 or 16 in a row. They were all in the pocket, no Brooklyn's(a strike in the opposite pocket). I asked him one day why he wasn't in the pro's anymore. He told me that the lane conditions were different on the tour and major ABC events. He kind of let something slip, by accident. The lanes in this bowling alley were "pocket friendly)...good for business....higher scores. Even though that was true, watching him throw strike after strike perfectly didn't diminish his skill level.

I had a lot of success in the kids league...when I was 13 I bowled a 600 series and being the smart business man he was, the manager would put the scores in the paper and he wrote up a special article on me. The next year I was bowling in the men's league. A couple years later my bowling team sponsor paid the fees for us to compete in an ABC event near Buffalo. It was the Peace Bridge Lanes. That is when I realized what lane conditions were like for the pro's. The first 3 or 4 times I threw the ball down the lanes it came back saturated with oil. You could see the oil on the lanes. You had to hit a small area that was dry to have any chance of getting a strike. If that wasn't bad enough, as the day progressed that small area moved.

It's sad that bowling is no longer a popular option for kids...the town I lived in had 5 bowling alleys within 20 minutes, now there are NONE....they also had a novelty bowling alley. They had a duck pin bowling alley that had a human setting up the pins, no machines.

Late night Forest. After the storms
forestafterrain.jpg

Here is a random question on the random thread. HOW MANY PEOPLE STILL WEAR A WATCH......since the cell phone became so popular...I'm curious...

disclaimer-I'm sure Ralphie has a Rolex for each day of the week
I haven't worn a "real" watch since the cell phone epic. Yes, I caved in and bought a damn fitbit...which I now use to check the time. lol

Here is a random question on the random thread. HOW MANY PEOPLE STILL WEAR A WATCH......since the cell phone became so popular...I'm curious...

When I’m traveling I wear a watch.

When I’m not traveling, I only use my cell phone.

After being in Europe for three weeks, when I came home I found myself looking at my watch-less wrist once in a while to check the time. Lol

In the spring of 2023, i went out to Sun City, AZ, to help my parents into assisted living. One of the things they had me do was go through their house. When going through my dad's office with him, he presented me with an Omega Seamaster that his father received as a retirement gift back in 1959. Still runs beautifully. Hasn't left my wrist since my father gave it to me. It had been over 20 years since i wore a watch!
Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 8.01.54 AM.png

My wife bought me an LCD watch about 40 years ago. It gave up the ghost for good (tried getting it fixed three or four times) about five years ago. It’s still in the drawer, and I wish it still worked.

I've never had a cell phone, and wear an automatic Seiko I bought in Bahrain 20 years ago. But only when I need to, which is pretty rare these days, so I need to give it a good shake to get it going (not a euphemism).

1000021816.jpg

This reminded me to order a battery for my replica "first watch on the moon" speedmaster . My dad has the real deal, bought 50 odd years ago. We were on vacation in miami when I was a baby (about 1981) and he lost the watch on the beach. About 10 years later he received a parcel from miami pd, a metal detectorist found it and handed it in! Luckily his name and post code was etched on the strap

HOW MANY PEOPLE STILL WEAR A WATCH...
I've decided smartwatches aren't for me. I wore a digital Casio watch daily, up until COVID had me washing/sanitizing my hands constantly. Now, I just use my phone, computer, and clocks for the time. I do have one nice-looking analog watch I sometimes wear to complement an outfit. Otherwise, I don't really miss having the time on my left wrist. As a bonus, my watch tan has disappeared!

I went to live in Cornwall, after a few years I gave up on the watch as everything was done 'dreckley' - this is an amazing unit of time which varies in duration from maybe the day after tomorrow to potentially whenever ........... and now I live in Devon I still don't wear one!

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/45-cornish-phrases-confuse-anyone-3481284

I've decided smartwatches aren't for me. I wore a digital Casio watch daily, up until COVID had me washing/sanitizing my hands constantly. Now, I just use my phone, computer, and clocks for the time. I do have one nice-looking analog watch I sometimes wear to complement an outfit. Otherwise, I don't really miss having the time on my left wrist. As a bonus, my watch tan has disappeared!
I like checking the time without pulling out my cellphone. I have a Citizen solar powered my wife gave me many years ago. Still works great and no batteries to replace, so far.

Back