Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the cell phone era, I have bought three watches, the first one was a first generation Apple Watch and soon gave that up when everybody was wearing them.Then I bought a simple black on black Swatch, then recently bought a nice dress watch that I have yet to wear. Working at home I have very few opportunities to dress up and tend to forget to put one on. I have four other older watches that need servicing and I am in the process of trying to change batteries myself.

I use a Galaxy smartphone and its matching smartwatch. I like having the time, texts, emails, meeting schedule/calendar, temperature, date, and day at a glance on my wrist.

Like many here, I have my Dad's watch - a Bulova Accutron - but it can be hard to keep working. I also have the watch we were given as competitors in the 1995 London-Mexico vintage FIA car rally. But the smartwatch makes the most sense to me, and I wear it all the time.

Have you looked at the YouTube videos that explain how to tell a fake Rolex/Patek from a real one? The good knock-offs are simply amazing, and the differences are becoming more and more minute. Soon, the only way to tell will be to take off the back and take apart the movement itself to find out.
20240625_084701.jpg

My Rolex date adjust Submariner has NOT left my wrist since I bought it new in 2000 except for when it was cut off my wrist by the EMT's who arrived on scene after I threw a blood clot(s) that knocked me unconscious and drove my car into a tree at 50+ mph. It does come off when I have had MRI's, CT's and various surgeries but otherwise I wear it everyday and it goes to sleep with me every night. I can't remember how many phones or girlfriends I have had since 2001 but I can count on one finger how many watches I have had...ONE.

This is a screen grab pic of the last watch I ever bought:

1719328518371.jpeg

The record store I hung out at sold much more odd stuff than just records. I bought Toys in the Attic SQ & this digital watch together. I still have both but I can't find where the watch is.

A good deal of my early career was in custom photo lab work, mainly largely in a wet lab B&W darkroom. Hands were frequently in chemicals, then rinse, dry & repeat. That watch went on & off my wrist a dozen times a day. I got tired of that and even my wedding band started to bother me. The latter was lost in a chain link fence accident, flew away & was never seen again. But really it bugged me too. Always too loose or too tight & I was constantly fidgeting with it. So in general, over the years, I despise wearing any sort of watch or jewelry. The chance to check the time is everywhere and for me that usually means my phone, same as like @newslane .

In a related question, how many of you still use a clock radio to wake up to? When I was a kid it seemed great to wake up to the Beatles or Herman's Hermits. Lay there & think about what you could try to get out of doing at school that day. But now being retired I'm on the other side & only set my alarm on weekend usually because I need to get to some g'kids sporting event early. Other than that it's just great to wake up when your body wants to, not when you have to.

Oh, I still have an AM clock radio in the garage for listening to the KC Royals when I'm working.

Last edited:
My Rolex date adjust Submariner has NOT left my wrist since I bought it new in 2000 except for when it was cut off my wrist by the EMT's who arrived on scene after I threw a blood clot(s) that knocked me unconscious and drove my car into a tree at 50+ mph. It does come off when I have had MRI's, CT's and various surgeries but otherwise I wear it everyday and it goes to sleep with me every night. I can't remember how many phones or girlfriends I have had since 2001 but I can count on one finger how many watches I have had...ONE.
I love this post - it's the perfect Rolex story. Many of the watch restoration/repair videos start with something like this, "my Dad never took this off" etc. with photos of the watch on his wrist through the years. I've never owned a Rolex, they must really be something. Excellent!

I love this post - it's the perfect Rolex story. Many of the watch restoration/repair videos start with something like this, "my Dad never took this off" etc. with photos of the watch on his wrist through the years. I've never owned a Rolex, they must really be something. Excellent!
Now to the other side of the economic spectrum, a watch for all mankind

Hey gang. Today, June 25th is National Color Television Day! Every day is National something or other day. But today it's all about color television. Whether it's real big screen or tiny TV's we hold in our hand & make Dick Tracy phone calls on, we take this for granted & forget about the early days.

When my parents built their dream home there was no family TV viewing space my parents, me and my sister, and my grandma all had individual room TV's. Black & White, of course. I had great interest in color TV's always checking them out at the department stores & reading about them. I found the cheapest one, a 21" round tube Penncrest for about $350. It was pretty basic just a sheet metal cabinet. No fancy speakers. But I read that almost all sets back then used the same RCA color TV Chassis so way back then inexpensive ones gave as good picture as the pricey ones.

I bartered with my dad... I had an allowance already but I vowed to do extra work around the house to pay him back. That's how I became the only person in the household to sweep the garage, clean the pool, and shovel the horseshit out of the barn. It was worth it.

It wasn't long till I took a bedside night stand & turned it into a speaker enclosure. I used a 12" full range speaker (with whizzer cone!) from Olson Electronics & the improvement was wonderful. Thus started my my first AV home entertainment set up.

Most of the programs at the time were still in B&W. Of course from the start there was Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. But it's easy to pin point when I purchased this set, 1965. Because that was the first year Lost in Space debuted. First season was B&W and then glorious color. Same thing for the British TV show The Avengers. First season B&W, 2nd season I could view Mrs Peel in color. Interesting note, the series at that point was filmed (yes, filmed) in color just for export to the USA. The Brits were much slower to adopt to colour TV so it was till broadcast in monochrome over there.

And honorable mention goes to Speed Racer. Think about it. A dubbed Japanese anime show at prime time on ABC? Wow.

In the 70's >80's it seemed there were many great (and some dubious) advancements in audio. Not so much in video. But eventually I had the magic combination of a Pioneer LD player hooked to a Sony Trinitron WEGA set. A match made in heaven, at least for 1985. And so the story continues...

Edit:http://www.earlytelevision.org/Reitan/gallery_index_v2.02_11-20-2006.html

You mean placing rears in the 7.1 side positions? Yeah, nobody makes mixes for that. It's not a standard array configuration. It could be... But opinions aside, it's not at present.
I meant the rears in a 5.1 configuration. However, in a 7.1 configuration, I'm still against the sides being at 90 degrees and prefer 110.

Hey gang. Today, June 25th is National Color Television Day! Every day is National something or other day. But today it's all about color television. Whether it's real big screen or tiny TV's we hold in our hand & make Dick Tracy phone calls on, we take this for granted & forget about the early days.

When my parents built their dream home there was no family TV viewing space my parents, me and my sister, and my grandma all had individual room TV's. Black & White, of course. I had great interest in color TV's always checking them out at the department stores & reading about them. I found the cheapest one, a 21" round tube Penncrest for about $350. It was pretty basic just a sheet metal cabinet. No fancy speakers. But I read that almost all sets back then used the same RCA color TV Chassis so way back then inexpensive ones gave as good picture as the pricey ones.

I bartered with my dad... I had an allowance already but I vowed to do extra work around the house to pay him back. That's how I became the only person in the household to sweep the garage, clean the pool, and shovel the horseshit out of the barn. It was worth it.

It wasn't long till I took a bedside night stand & turned it into a speaker enclosure. I used a 12" full range speaker (with whizzer cone!) from Olson Electronics & the improvement was wonderful. Thus started my my first AV home entertainment set up.

Most of the programs at the time were still in B&W. Of course from the start there was Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. But it's easy to pin point when I purchased this set, 1965. Because that was the first year Lost in Space debuted. First season was B&W and then glorious color. Same thing for the British TV show The Avengers. First season B&W, 2nd season I could view Mrs Peel in color. Interesting note, the series at that point was filmed (yes, filmed) in color just for export to the USA. The Brits were much slower to adopt to colour TV so it was till broadcast in monochrome over there.

And honorable mention goes to Speed Racer. Think about it. A dubbed Japanese anime show at prime time on ABC? Wow.

In the 70's >80's it seemed there were many great (and some dubious) advancements in audio. Not so much in video. But eventually I had the magic combination of a Pioneer LD player hooked to a Sony Trinitron WEGA set. A match made in heaven, at least for 1985. And so the story continues...

Edit:http://www.earlytelevision.org/Reitan/gallery_index_v2.02_11-20-2006.html
Here's a stunning looking color videotape program from 1959.

The resolution and colors are quite superb for the time.

After I moved out at 16 (of course) my parents finally bought a color tv. IIRC, it was a Motorola, touted as "easy to fix" as the circuit boards were easily swappable. Then my parents discovered that even replacing the circuit boards was an expensive proposition. I think it only lasted about a year before it was junked.

One of my early color tv's was a Sony 32 or 36" hi def CRT. Man that thing was heavy. I'm thinking 36" as I could barely lift it by spanning my arms across the top.

After I moved out at 16 (of course) my parents finally bought a color tv. IIRC, it was a Motorola, touted as "easy to fix" as the circuit boards were easily swappable. Then my parents discovered that even replacing the circuit boards was an expensive proposition. I think it only lasted about a year before it was junked.

One of my early color tv's was a Sony 32 or 36" hi def CRT. Man that thing was heavy. I'm thinking 36" as I could barely lift it by spanning my arms across the top.
Like carrying a 40” X 40” X 40” block, I had a TV like that. Could barely lift it.

Like carrying a 40” X 40” X 40” block, I had a TV like that. Could barely lift it.
I had a 40 inch CRT that weighed almost 300lbs...I advertised it in the local paper...the guy who bought it came by himself to pick it up...I lived on the 3rd floor and there wasn't an elevator in the building...I told this guy that he should get somebody to help him...this guy was about 5'9 and weighed around 280lbs...his neck was the size of my waist...he looked like a nose tackle...he bent down and I heard this loud grunt...he just swallowed up that TV and started for the door...by the time he got to the second floor his face was blood red and the veins in his neck looked like they were going to burst...he finally made it down to the bottom floor and took it over to his pickup truck..after he placed it in his truck he sat down on the ground and I thought I would have to call 911. .he rested for a few minuters and then left.

We all had those dead weight CRT's. I also had a Sony and it was just stupid heavy.
It wasn't just the weight....but it was top heavy...the weight wasn't distributed evenly...it was a good tv...a Mitsubishi..it marked the beginning of HD TV purchases...I bought the largest HD at the time at Best Buy....a Panasonic 34 in with a 16x9 screen...

It wasn't just the weight....but it was top heavy...the weight wasn't distributed evenly...it was a good tv...a Mitsubishi..it marked the beginning of HD TV purchases...I bought the largest HD at the time at Best Buy....a Panasonic 34 in with a 16x9 screen...
Mine was some sort of Sony Trinetron or how ever that's spelled. You're right, they were all top heavy and could get away from you if you were pulling a stud moment.

Back