Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ringo Starr was not mentioned. Perhaps he's on a list of top best 4/4 drummers?
Think about an all-star list of drummers who lived “in the pocket” and made history:
Charlie Watts
Ringo
Jeff Porcaro
Jim Keltner
Phil Rudd
Kenny Aronoff
W.S.Holland - the original Johnny Cash trio
Hal Blaine - Elvis, Beach Boys, Sinatra

1723344116210.png

Marpow, I agree with you with the exception of the "we don't have any good radio stations in the San Francisco area" comment. Historically speaking, my family moved from Mission Viejo, CA to Sacramento, CA in 1973 when I was 5 years old. My mother and father were music lovers and encouraged me to seek out and have an appreciation for all genres. Luckily for me, dad had his Fisher receiver (the Fisher 200) wired into our rather large TV antenna (remember those lovely looking bird roosts!) on our roof and I was able to "dial in" radio stations from all over the state and at night, from other states too. As such, the stations that were otherwise unavailable to most without this antenna set up were readily available to me.

The San Francisco/Bay Area radio stations that I LUVED were KOME, KSJO, KSAN, etc. As I got older and my taste in music broadened, I also like the classical and jazz stations (many of those were on Public Radio) and the first of its kind alternative station, Live 105. We could go on and on and bemoan the fact that most, if not all, of these stations are now owned by massive conglomerates (Clear Channel, Entercom, Viacom and iHeartMedia, etc) but at least the Bay Area has several good to very good terrestrial radio stations that appeal to numerous tastes. Unfortunately, this diversity is NOT the norm in many parts of the US and California. The Bay Area also has several live music venues that are supported and support (symbiotic relationship) by the local radio stations. I cannot say the same thing about the greater Sacramento area.

As far as "audiophiles" are concerned, they are (and I too somewhat resemble one at times!) an interesting breed for sure. I find it amusing and sometimes a bit irritating when the discussions in this and other forums go immediately straight down the "rabbit hole" instead of at least circling a few times and thoughtfully taking in and processing the other viewpoints/perspectives before the-all so typical "no, you're wrong and here's why" response. I too LUV QQ as I have learned a TON as well as having my ears and senses turned back onto the music and for that, I am very grateful.
Back in my youger days, I was (sorta) interested in ham radio, and I had a National NC105 “general coverage” receiver, which was basically a short wave radio with the AM band added on. I had stripung up a dipole (split zip cord) antenna aling out roof ridge when we lived in Orange, CA (if you were in Mission Viejo, you probably knew about it) and I could pick up WLS in Chicago if conditions were right.

The summer of ‘65, I worked on a hay farm in Francois Lake, British Columbia (Canada), and dragged that thing up there, along with about 200’ of zip cord. I put up an antenna between the roof of the house and a mast I built from several left-over tubafors, and I could listen to the Dodger games on KFI.

What does 'bone idle' mean? Duncan, are you trying to compete with @JohnN at offering us lessons on cryptology?
I don't know what "bone idle" means either. I just didn't want to be the one that asked the question...
I don't know either...maybe it has something to do with Audi's...I know Duncan likes them :rolleyes:

Back in my youger days, I was (sorta) interested in ham radio, and I had a National NC105 “general coverage” receiver, which was basically a short wave radio with the AM band added on. I had stripung up a dipole (split zip cord) antenna aling out roof ridge when we lived in Orange, CA (if you were in Mission Viejo, you probably knew about it) and I could pick up WLS in Chicago if conditions were right.

The summer of ‘65, I worked on a hay farm in Francois Lake, British Columbia (Canada), and dragged that thing up there, along with about 200’ of zip cord. I put up an antenna between the roof of the house and a mast I built from several left-over tubafors, and I could listen to the Dodger games on KFI.
I had a friend that had a CB radio and I am (almost) sure that Jim and many others were inspired after seeing the movie "Convoy" to get their own. Because I was so young when we lived in Mission Viejo, I only listened to my record player and the few 45's that I had. My interest in CB wained pretty quickly as my LUV for music exploded. I got my first stereo shortly after arriving in Sacramento (I was around 6 years old) so most of my time was spent playing "big aka 33 and 1/3) records and listening to FM radio on headphones on my father's rig. I don't listen to terrestrial radio much (I have SiriusXM in my BMW because, in their ultimate wisdom, they discontinued putting CD players after the 2019 model year) and I don't stream as I am a physical product nut aka collector/enthusiast.

Back