Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the South, so yes, I've kept an eye on this storm. Rather alarming, and we'll see -- these things change rapidly, so you can wake up tomorrow and it's going somewhere else!

But at the moment all eyes are on Florida, not my area: good luck!
So it begs the question...where is the center of sound field (in your South) . :)
But quite right, you never know where these things will wreak havoc. The last one hovered over us apparently stalled for hours. We were looking out the window at our huge poplar tree trunk moving back and forth a good foot, at 6 ft off the ground. Now the tree leans towards my shop and some huge roots are lifted above ground, Yikes!

OPPO arrived this morning and calling it mint, might be an understatement! It was pretty straightforward on the 4 channel RCA's, but had to go to my copy of the 9001's owners manual (THANK YOU @par4ken ) to input 4 channels
I can forsee a day on the sofa today😂
Back in da Quad game baby!!!!!
Careful! If you're listening to a multichannel disc, you've got the Sansui in Synthesize mode. 🙂

Thanks for the link, but all were dead on the dongle. I had already moved everything into place, and only had a 6' ethernet cable, when I thought I should check the firmware. TV has the modem by it and the stereo is on a different wall, then I remembered I had wireless dongle on my outside TV, that I use couple times a week. I just thought they were all the same, but ofcourse not!! Haha
I ordered a 20ft cable on amazon for 8 bucks, that will be delivered tomorrow.

I've got 4 separate channels in Quad, 4 speakers playing BluRays in 5.1, but when playing just a stereo CD, only the front channels have tunes with the Sansui in surround. Something in the setting????
Trouble is, it sounds so *%#@! great!
Yeah, I know everybody on this site have top tier systems,......not that mine is.......... but I waited 50yrs to hear mine play again 😂

Van Morrison's Moondance is superb
Careful! If you're listening to a multichannel disc, you've got the Sansui in Synthesize mode. 🙂
I leave it in Synthesize surround 99% of the time. Last night I tried Moondance in CD-4, didn't seem to, my hard of hearing ears, make a difference.
I started playing all my Quadio's, starting with the first set, last night. While I've played them b4, they never sounded like this.
I even have a new appreciation for Mick Fleetwood of his playing the drums. Listening to the bluray Rumors, the right rear channel was all drums and what a superb performance he provided. It's like hearing 4 channel music for the 1st time.......

I leave it in Synthesize surround 99% of the time. Last night I tried Moondance in CD-4, didn't seem to, my hard of hearing ears, make a difference.
I started playing all my Quadio's, starting with the first set, last night. While I've played them b4, they never sounded like this.
I even have a new appreciation for Mick Fleetwood of his playing the drums. Listening to the bluray Rumors, the right rear channel was all drums and what a superb performance he provided. It's like hearing 4 channel music for the 1st time.......
Synthesize is great for 2 channel stereo discs, like CDs, but if you're playing a Quadio and the OPPO is reading Multichannel, make sure the 9001 is in CD-4/4 Channel Direct mode. That way, you'll hear the original quad mix.

Yeah, I know everybody on this site have top tier systems,......not that mine is.......... but I waited 50yrs to hear mine play again 😂
You might be surprised. Not all of us can afford all top of the line equipment. My biggest purchase in many years was my current TX-RZ50 AVR.
That was about $1400 before taxes IIRC. I did not consult my wife before purchase. :)
But we do what we can, and I think my system sounds good. If anything I'd like to have a new sub...or keep moving it until it sounds better.

Glad you are enjoying your equipment! That's what is important.

You might be surprised. Not all of us can afford all top of the line equipment. My biggest purchase in many years was my current TX-RZ50 AVR.
That was about $1400 before taxes IIRC. I did not consult my wife before purchase. :)
But we do what we can, and I think my system sounds good. If anything I'd like to have a new sub...or keep moving it until it sounds better.

Glad you are enjoying your equipment! That's what is important.
Always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :rolleyes:

I've got 4 separate channels in Quad, 4 speakers playing BluRays in 5.1, but when playing just a stereo CD, only the front channels have tunes with the Sansui in surround. Something in the setting????
Trouble is, it sounds so *%#@! great!
I assume your Oppo's output is plugged into the Sansui's 4 ch tape monitor input. So if you're paying a stereo CD all you will hear is the front chs in stereo. To utilize the Sansui Surround Synthesis mode you would need a Y splitter on the Oppo's front chs & feed the second set to something like a 2ch AUX input on the Sansui.

Edit: To @Bruce00 I had a better thought. Your Oppo has dedicated MCH analog outputs and also an additional 2 ch stereo output. Rather than use a Y splitter just utilize that stereo output & connect to AUX or 2ch Tape Monitor on the Sansui.

How do you currently have it hooked up?

Last edited:
I assume your Oppo's output is plugged into the Sansui's 4 ch tape monitor input. So if you're paying a stereo CD all you will hear is the front chs in stereo. To utilize the Sansui Surround Synthesis mode you would need a Y splitter on the Oppo's front chs & feed the second set to something like a 2ch AUX input on the Sansui.
Thank you, the limitation of the Sansui is inputs. I couldn't figure out why a piece of vinyl would play 4 channels and a stereo CD wouldn't, but you explained it clearly to me, in a way I understand. I have an Auris bluMe adpt hooked up to the aux, which lets me enjoy 4 channel Apple music and also my Nakamichi tape deck.
MCH? This is where I get lost. I missed the music scene from the late 70's till now. So Iam like a beginner
I have a copy of the owner's manual online, I haven't seen the abbreviation MCH........looking while posting

I do have alot of CD's
I guess I will just live with it and continue my search for a SACD 10 yrs After to enjoy

Edit: To @Bruce00 I had a better thought. Your Oppo has dedicated MCH analog outputs and also an additional 2 ch stereo output. Rather than use a Y splitter just utilize that stereo output & connect to AUX or 2ch Tape Monitor on the Sansui.

How do you currently have it hooked up?
Figured a pic would be better than ME trying to describe it, so pulled the rack off the wall

Attachments

• 20240926_113721.jpg
    20240926_113721.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240926_114135.jpg
    20240926_114135.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, I know everybody on this site have top tier systems
You might be surprised at the level of scavenging and DIY going on! Some of us will post "Don't buy that, do this instead." tips.

Wireless dongles and modems, oh my...
All I want to say is try to keep audio connections wired. Wireless is for the remote controls. Max bang for the buck and never any reason to sacrifice convenience.

Anyway, congratulations on getting through a tech quest and finally hearing some of the surround mixes you collected!

Yes that should work. But I see the Sansui's 2 ch play input is already used?

Thats my Nakamichi cassette deck, as I have a collection of casette tapes from my auto's......BUT Iam tempted to chunk them all in the trash. I need to up my, Throw 1 thing away everyday policy.
Thanks again, for the help.
Wish I could promise this will be the last stupid question, but I have alot to catch up on. As I finally have seen the convivence of ripping music and having it on a spare laptop/I-pad. That will be a struggle, I know 😂 😂 😂 😂

The computer approach can lead to "liberating" your collection. Always hear the mixes as they were intended to be delivered. Decode any encoded or proprietary formats back to the original audio. A new format is usually just a new software install. No new hardware needed. (Yes, obviously Atmos needs at least 4 new speakers and amp channels now!)

Cons: Learning curves and brain damage!

But an AVR has a computer in it essentially and now you're poking at more cryptic and maybe restricted controls. Might as well cut out the middle man there, right?

You might be surprised at the level of scavenging and DIY going on! Some of us will post "Don't buy that, do this instead." tips.

Wireless dongles and modems, oh my...
All I want to say is try to keep audio connections wired. Wireless is for the remote controls. Max bang for the buck and never any reason to sacrifice convenience.

Anyway, congratulations on getting through a tech quest and finally hearing some of the surround mixes you collected!

Yeah, it has been a struggle, as I didn't post of the damage that the trained monkeys at UPS inflicted on my Sansui on the return trip home. After holding onto it for 50yrs, finally deciding to restore it, the anger, frustration, plus the money spent was. well... unbelievable.

But thanks to the efforts of "T" one of the techs @QRS Restore, she walked me thru opening up the 9001 here at home. I saw the issue right away and she confirmed that was the problem on a 9001 sitting on her bench.
I might add, she was leaving on vacation, but stayed late with me on the phone, thats going above and beyond in my book.

Now, It was well worth it:D

Back