Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000004607.jpg

I have all the other solo albums the members of Yes put out circa 1975, but never heard this one. It's good!! I'm a sucker for mellotrons & moogs though.

View attachment 107347

Pretty dense with lots of instruments & layers. Would do well in a surround mix IMO. UK pressing. Great artwork!
I must say, excepting Patrick Moraz' "Story of I", I found most of the Yes solo albums pretty weak, including "Olias" by Jon A. (I DO have a US Atlantic copy, though.) I suspect a listener's appreciation of "Olias" is equal to your level of tolerance for Jon's indecipherable lyrics and his eyeball-rolling New Age pretensions. I agree the album's probably worth a new listen, MANY albums I didn't get at first CAN reveal themselves given the passage of time & softening of once ironclad prejudices. I also concur that it would be fertile ground for a new surround remix.

Patrick Moraz & "I" was WAY out of left field, though, in a good way. Moraz' use of the exotic Brazilian percussion, his considerable muscle as a keyboard brawler, and my first exposure to Scottish vocalist John McBurnie (lost to obscurity, but I really liked him) really grabbed me. Under pressure to earn a living, Patrick had to churn out several undercooked solo albums post-Yes, but "Story of I" and "Out in the Sun" are both top-shelf prog albums. "Out in the Sun" features Patrick's atmospheric instrumental opener for Yes "Awaken", retitled here as "Time for a Change." I wish Patrick had been able to continue with Yes, "Relayer" was a fierce & absolutely UNIQUE entry in the Yes body of work. I agree it was "Yes meets jazz fusion," an assignment Moraz was exactly right for.

Patrick's pre-Yes "Refugee" album was also a knockout showcase of his unique talent. Top picks are instrumentals "Papillon" and "Ritt Mickley", along with the jilted lover spite song "Someday", featuring Patrick's short but absolutely VENEMOUS minimoog solo break, perfectly capturing all the rage.

I must say, excepting Patrick Moraz' "Story of I"......

Funny you mention that, I've been looking for my Patrick Moraz LP's ever since spinning "Olias". No luck though. One day ( or two, or three! ) I should organize my records. At one point I deliberately randomized everything to force myself to listen to stuff I wouldn't otherwise grab, out of habit. But now it's impossible to find things :)

I did find this though which is quite good & interesting to listen to. From an ex-member of another famous band.

a_philips_pavillion.jpg

Was looking for something else, found this & thought John might get a chuckle out of the cover. I think he had a good sense of humour.

mayall_toussaint.jpg

RIP. His influence cannot be overstated.

I guess now he's been served the ultimate notice to appear: Judgement Day & all that! Allen Toussaint's probably looking forward to jam again.

Brewing coffee & letting it play while I look for that other LP.

Last edited:
Still can't find that LP!

But these both got spun today. I don't normally leave shrinkwrap on but these are original pressings. Plastic is old & no longer a threat to warp anything.

RIP John Mayall. Got to see him live once, was a great show & an honour to be in the presence of a legend. He was wearing a huge belt with ~20 harmonicas!

turning_point.jpg

bluesbreakers.jpg

I must say, excepting Patrick Moraz' "Story of I", I found most of the Yes solo albums pretty weak, including "Olias" by Jon A. (I DO have a US Atlantic copy, though.) I suspect a listener's appreciation of "Olias" is equal to your level of tolerance for Jon's indecipherable lyrics and his eyeball-rolling New Age pretensions. I agree the album's probably worth a new listen, MANY albums I didn't get at first CAN reveal themselves given the passage of time & softening of once ironclad prejudices. I also concur that it would be fertile ground for a new surround remix.

Patrick Moraz & "I" was WAY out of left field, though, in a good way. Moraz' use of the exotic Brazilian percussion, his considerable muscle as a keyboard brawler, and my first exposure to Scottish vocalist John McBurnie (lost to obscurity, but I really liked him) really grabbed me. Under pressure to earn a living, Patrick had to churn out several undercooked solo albums post-Yes, but "Story of I" and "Out in the Sun" are both top-shelf prog albums. "Out in the Sun" features Patrick's atmospheric instrumental opener for Yes "Awaken", retitled here as "Time for a Change." I wish Patrick had been able to continue with Yes, "Relayer" was a fierce & absolutely UNIQUE entry in the Yes body of work. I agree it was "Yes meets jazz fusion," an assignment Moraz was exactly right for.

Patrick's pre-Yes "Refugee" album was also a knockout showcase of his unique talent. Top picks are instrumentals "Papillon" and "Ritt Mickley", along with the jilted lover spite song "Someday", featuring Patrick's short but absolutely VENEMOUS minimoog solo break, perfectly capturing all the rage.
Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away is far from weak in my modest opinion. It was co-produced by Bob Ezrin and features solid songwriting and playing.

R-2986984-1310527186.jpg

hmmm, I'd say MORE than slightly...quite remixed and AAMOF "My own way" is a TOTALLY different version; faster and with a string section a lá disco...didn´t Jason Corsaro(RIP) mix this??? He was a freaking genius...maybe he'd have done some SURROUND had he lived...I have always liked his mixes..very clear and sharp...
That version of My Own Way was recorded before the sessions for Rio and was issued as a single. Jason Corsaro was only involved with recordings the group did when working with Bernard Edwards and Nile Rogers around 1984 and after. Carnival was released after Rio was, in 1982.

That version of My Own Way was recorded before the sessions for Rio and was issued as a single. Jason Corsaro was only involved with recordings the group did when working with Bernard Edwards and Nile Rogers around 1984 and after. Carnival was released after Rio was, in 1982.
dude, did not know that, thanks for the info!

Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away is far from weak in my modest opinion. It was co-produced by Bob Ezrin and features solid songwriting and playing.

View attachment 108132

I agree 100% regarding Rabin/"Don't Look Away's" merit. It's an OUTSTANDING album, but I don't include in the same batch as the 1974 Yes solo albums that came out right after "Relayer". Yeah, I still think those were all pretty weak tea except for Patrick Moraz' "Story of I." (Squire's "Fish" album was OK, but nothing special). Of course no one's "wrong" to like any of them. I agree that I might be more receptive to "Olias" today than I was as a snarky teenager back in 1974.

I saw a YT interview of Trevor after the recent re-release of Yes "Talk," which is still my personal FAVORITE Yes album, even though it did not fare well commercially. Unfortunately Trevor disdains quad or surround mixes, which I think is glaringly narrow minded, especially for a guy like Trevor, who fearlessly jumped into the uncharted waters of all-digital recording with the "Talk" album. Even if we can't get a 5.1 or Atmos reissue, I'm grateful that "Talk" did get a premium/deluxe reissue, as befits the exalted regard that I still have for it.

Back