HiRez Poll Stewart, Al - PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Al Stewart - PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new reissue of the classic album "Past, Present, & Future" by Al Stewart.
This new reissue features a Blu-Ray Audio disc that includes new remixes of the album from our friend @Stephen W Tayler in 5.1 surround and stereo

(y) :) (n)

al_stewart_cover-lrg.jpg

I can't believe I'm the first to rate this. I'm honored.

The sonics on this are the best you are likely to hear from this album. Warm 70s analog type sound. But very clean. Not as bright as the Parsons mixes of Time Passages, and the especially YOTC. The winner here is still TP IMO.

The mix is pretty spectacular. @Stephen W Tayler did his normal, stellar job. The rears are used well. No double stereo here. The biggest advantage is that you can now hear into the mix and separate the instrumentation so easily. This is a major improvement over the stereo and upmixes I've heard. It can easily sit in the company of the Parsons albums, and in places it is more adventurous.

For me the content is above reproach. This was always my go to Stewart disc, but the others are good as well. What a brilliant idea...songs about history and historic figures. Past, present and the future as seen through the Eyes of Nostradomas. It's all killer, no filler. Every track is good in its own right. If you like stories and great lyrics, buy this album. You won't regret it.

Terminal Eyes, an admitted wink to the Beatles I Am The Walrus, is just pure enjoyment, as I hoped it would be.

The packaging is similar to the other Stewart releases, which is nice, but I'm not a big package guy. The Tull packages are the best IMO. You also get a bonus track in surround. (I can see how it didn't fit the albums theme) and some live stereo I haven't played yet.

If I didn't like the album so much this would get a 9. But I gotta award it a 10. It's that good to my old ears.

One last thing. The British cover sucks compared to the US version.

1720564804921.png

Last edited:
I've listened a few times, and I have to fully agree with LMQ above. Considering the style/genre of the music, I cannot think of a better surround mix than what @Stephen W Tayler has delivered. This is how it should sound. Oh, and the fidelity is superb and if you choose to turn it up, no worries...it sounds superb.

Comment about warm analog sound is absolutely spot on. Absolutely zero brightness or fatigue. Nearly perfect, honestly. I voted a 10.

Most excellent mix. Not a super fan of this album but just rated on sound alone it's very good.
I can remember giving my brother a cassette copy of the LP back in the day. He said he couldn't get into the album, so I'd say it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I grew to love it. I'm a sucker for songs that tell stories with amazing lyrics.

The sonics on this are the best you are likely to hear from this album. Warm 70s analog type sound. But very clean. Not as bright as the Parsons mixes of Time Passages, and the especially YOTC. The winner here is still TP IMO.

The mix is pretty spectacular. @Stephen W Tayler did his normal, stellar job. The rears are used well. No double stereo here. The biggest advantage is that you can now hear into the mix and separate the instrumentation so easily. This is a major improvement over the stereo and upmixes I've heard. It can easily sit in the company of the Parsons albums, and in places it is more adventurous.

For me the content is above reproach. This was always my go to Stewart disc, but the others are good as well. What a brilliant idea...songs about history and historic figures. Past, present and the future as seen through the Eyes of Nostradomas. It's all killer, no filler. Every track is good in its own right. If you like stories and great lyrics, buy this album. You won't regret it.

Terminal Eyes, an admitted wink to the Beatles I Am The Walrus, is just pure enjoyment, as I hoped it would be.

The packaging is similar to the other Stewart releases, which is nice, but I'm not a big package guy. The Tull packages are the best IMO. You also get a bonus track in surround. (I can see how it didn't fit the albums theme) and some live stereo I haven't played yet.

If I didn't like the album so much this would get a 9. But I gotta award it a 10. It's that good to my old ears.

View attachment 107417
I'm still waiting for mine, but I've heard a ripped copy and it sounds great!

View attachment 107417
Did you neglect to vote? I don't see your 10 listed above. I'm listening now, and i'm in total agreement with your assessment. What's especially cool for me is it's the first time i'm hearing this album! Stewart found me with Modern Times. I kept buying his releases after that one: Year of the Cat, Time Passages, and 24 Carrots (the next release i was expecting to hear in surround). @Stephen W Tayler has really brought this one to life for me. And, as you note, the premise of the concept album is wonderful, and Stewart seems to be finding his voice as a songwriter and storyteller. I love the haunting sound of this release; Stewart's use of acoustic guitar and strings is especially powerful (really enhanced by Tayler's mix). I think i'm going to go with a 10 as well . . . after another listen!

Last edited:
Did you neglect to vote? I don't see your 10 listed. I'm listening now, and i'm in total agreement with your assessment. What's especially cool for me is it's the first time i'm hearing this album! Stewart found me with Modern Times. I kept buying his releases after that one: Year of the Cat, Time Passages, and 24 Carrots (the next album i was expecting in surround). @Stephen W Tayler has really brought this one to life for me. And, as you note, the premise of the concept album is wonderful, and Stewart seems to be finding his voice as a songwriter and storyteller. I love the haunting sound of this release; Stewart's use of acoustic guitar is especially powerful (really enhanced by Tayler's mix). I think i'm going to go with a 10 as well . . . after another listen!
Indeed I must have forgot. My vote is in now. Thanks

It was a brilliant album in my youth and it's even better today. SWT did another bang up job on the mix. When discussions arise about the best remixers out there, you really have to include him from now on. Anyways, content is an 11. Mix is an 11. At 50 years, I'm always concerned about fidelity. But, the quality is better than I believe I've ever heard it. So, that gets a 10. So, averaged out...It's off the charts. :) So, yeah, I sort of liked it. :)

My copy finally came today, so this is my first spin through the surround mix. I completely agree with the above comments, top notch mix, great packaging - I can’t think of an album more deserving of a facelift. The Last Day of June sparkles with the piano and keys swelling out of the rears, it’s almost a different song! In fact, great use of the rear speakers on every song. My favourite Al album just got WAY better! Thanks SWT!!

This may be one of 2024”s most rewarding releases. I had no experience with this album but bought it after being so pleased with YOTC and TP.
Absolutely incredible album with a sonic presentation that is a marvel.
THIS is the way to reissue classic albums - nice going Esoteric Recordings and Stephan W. Taylor delivers a masterclass in surround mixing yet again.

The fabulous thing about this album is that it was originally recorded and mixed at Trident Studios just one year before I started to work there.

I am about to celebrate the 50th Anniversary on the 5th August of literally walking in off the street to Trident and starting my journey in the magic world of music and recordings....

Here I am in front of what used to be Trident Studios just this week!! SWTx

IMG_7746.JPG

Last edited:
The fabulous thing about this album is that it was recorded and mixed just one year before I joined Trident Studios.

I am about to celebrate the 50th Anniversary on the 4th August of literally walking in off the street to Trident and starting my journey in the magic world of music and recordings....

View attachment 107758
SHOW OFF!! ... ;)

The fabulous thing about this album is that it was originally recorded and mixed just one year before I joined Trident Studios.

I am about to celebrate the 50th Anniversary on the 4th August of literally walking in off the street to Trident and starting my journey in the magic world of music and recordings....

View attachment 107758
Congratulations 🎉
Oddly enough I passed by that spot a week ago & had to take a photo of the Bowie plaque ❤️
I was in town for Wimbledon, and was hunting for record stores in SoHo at the direction of @fredblue 👍🏼

1721487036754.jpeg

The fabulous thing about this album is that it was originally recorded and mixed just one year before I joined Trident Studios.

View attachment 107758
Thanks for sharing, Stephen! One of the very few areas of interest that you can start off as as fan/hobbyist and it can turn out to be your life's work yet still you can remain a "fan at heart". Damn, do I just love and admire the "QuadraphonicQuad" group and it's members!

I just placed my vote of a 10. There is nothing bad I can say honestly. First of all, the material.is first rate. Al Stewart is a master storyteller and the arrangements within the songs frame his hypnotic lyrics and unique voice perfectly.

The mix by SWT is as good as I hoped it would be. It perfectly frames these narratives and truly takes you away to the various lands discussed within the songs. Like being on a journey you never want to end. The mix opens these songs up while making them sound faithful to the original artistic intent. Just perfect. The percussive elements and tropical feel of Warren Harding put a big smile on my face.

Throw in an Informative book and a stellar live show and the whole package is first rate.

I've only owned a couple of Al Stewart's early albums, and this was not one of them. All new material to me, and I very much like most of the tracks. The surround mix is first-rate. The live CD is quite good, too. It's interesting to compare the onstage material with the studio tracks.

Another winner from SWT!

Back